MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 14-01-07, 19:02
Vets Dottir

Default 10 Ex 16th SS members convicted

Hello,

I just read this article in Canoe News headlines about these current convictions for atrocities done in 1944 by the 16th SS. It's good to know that some do not give up in trying to bring some kind of justice, even 63 years after the deeds.

Karmen

Quote:
January 13, 2007

Italian court convicts 10 ex-SS members

ROME (AP) - A military tribunal on Saturday convicted 10 former members of the Nazi SS in the 1944 slaughter of more than 700 people near Bologna - the worst civilian massacre in Italy during the Second World War, a news report said.

The 10 received life sentences for murder, while seven others were acquitted, the Italian news agency ANSA said. But none of the men was in custody. They were tried in absentia, and all were believed to be living in Germany.

The defendants, one former officer and 16 enlisted personnel of the 16th SS Division, were tried in a military court in the northern port town of La Spezia. Court officials could not be reached to comment on the report.

The massacre occurred around Marzabotto, a mountain town south of Bologna, during a retreat by German troops. From Sept. 29, 1944, to Oct. 5, 1944, SS soldiers slaughtered more than 700 people - mostly children, women and elderly - in what was ostensibly a hunt for resistance fighters.

Nazi troops lobbed grenades at civilians locked in a house and sprayed machine-gun fire to hit a row of children, among other atrocities.

Two leaders of the SS division were convicted after the war in Italy for the killings, but investigations of lower-ranking soldiers by German and Italian prosecutors languished for decades.

In 2002, then-German president Johannes Rau travelled to Marzabotto during a visit to Italy and expressed "sadness, mourning and shame" at the massacre.
Old 14-01-07, 19:44
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: 10 Ex 16th SS members convicted

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
......done in 1944 by the 16th SS.
Hi Karmen;

Just so you know, the full name of the unit was: 16th SS Panzer-Grenadier Division ('Reichsführer-SS'), which was commanded by SS-Gruppenführer Max Simon (3 Oct 1943 to 24 Oct 1944) and SS-Brigadeführer Otto Baum (from 24 Oct 1944 to 8 May 1945). This division operated in Italy from Feb to May 1944 and from Jun to Dec 1944.

Cheers
Old 14-01-07, 20:04
Vets Dottir

As ever, I thank you Mark. They don't give the specifics in their story, so it's good to know this.

It's hugely disappointing that there has never been a "charged and convicted" story, come-uppance, for Wilhelm Mohnke, like this for the families and buddies of our Canadian (and others) soldiers he was responsible for ... it still really bites me knowing how he got off scotfree and lived out a free and easy life until recently, while everyone else sucked up the losses and the aftermath.

I always like to know the realities through publicized credit, and discredit, where due, for all the rest to know, for big stuff like the atrocities done.

Karmen
Old 16-01-07, 13:46
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Loonies

And we have to put up with absolute loonies, who dress up in SS uniforms , push their way into military vehicle rallies , and generally give all the genuine vehicle restorers a hard time . They always claim that the " public love us " . How many Jewish people would love them I wonder .

Sorry , but this topic makes me sick to the core .

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 17-01-07, 06:12

Last june at our auto spectacular here in Dunedin NZ
there were two individuals in ww2 german uniform strutting their stuff around the show.
two elderly people of Dutch origin took one look and left in
discust!
They had been through the German occupation of Holland
and didint want reminded of it or them!!
these were only two poeple that we herd of,how many others are affected in this way?
Old 17-01-07, 09:27
Vets Dottir

Hi folks,

I do feel taken aback, or something very deep in my gut, when I've seen the reenactors in uniform ... those uniforms represent horrifying inhumanity to me and all of the human beings who were victims.

Karmen
Old 17-01-07, 14:22
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

And feelings regarding Nazi re-enactors are highly divisive in re-enacting circles, too.

I can still recall with a chuckle the evening wind-down after a "Certain Airshow" in the South Island of NZ. A convivial atmosphere was being widely enjoyed by all as various stories and tall tales were retold. Just all about knew each other with varying levels of familiarity. Then 4 others, also well known and on good friendly terms with all, entered wearing Luftwaffe uniforms. One "Character who shall remain nameless" let out a blood curdling roar and in a couple of steps launched himself up on a chair, a table and - LEAP! - flew a good 10 to 12 feet across the room to crash tackle all 4 in a heap. In the tangle of Khaki and Luft Blau bodies, a muffled cry of "Thems the Bastards wot bombed Coventry!!" could be plainly heard. The 4 blokes on the ground were utterly stunned and no doubt copped a good bruise or two in the otherwise unprovoked display, but were never seen in the Lufftwaffe uniforms again for the whole weekend.
All who saw it reckoned the LEAP! deserved the Distinguished Flying Cross.
Some people are utterly clueless about the impact that some Uniforms and flags can have on other people and the scars that they have reopened.
Old 17-01-07, 18:35
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith Some people are utterly clueless about the impact that some Uniforms and flags can have on other people and the scars that they have reopened. [/B]
Hi Tony,

I'll go one farther and say:

And some ARE clued in and just don't care how other might be effected or hurt.

Karmen
Old 17-01-07, 22:52

When I was working in Niagara Falls back in 1980 or 81, one of my co-workers came in one day wearing a German Army belt buckle what he had bought at a surplus store. An older gent came up to him, grabbed him by the shirt collar and slammed him up against the wall. He told him how he had killed people who wore that belt buckle. We never saw that belt buckle in the office again. The old gent had fought in the Yugoslavia resistance during the war and felt no love for anything connected to the Nazis.
Old 18-01-07, 06:51

one thing ive seen was a picture of some ss re enactors
directing traffic at one of the Beltring events,just my sick sence of humour i suppose,but i thought it apropriate!!
Old 18-01-07, 07:03
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Hughes
directing traffic at one of the Beltring events,just my sick sence of humour i suppose,but i thought it apropriate!!
I was there at the time, and that raised some serious hackles. That lot had a serious attitude problem too, and my first thought was "someone fetch me a Bren, there's a good lad".
Old 21-01-07, 08:10
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Hughes
I think I can understand that sense of twisted humor at the positions. But I guess for many the uniforms are still reminders of wounds that are still fresh and will probably be so forever for generations to come.

When I saw the reenactors in German uniforms, that was in Ottawa for the VE Day ceremonies and parade. I was deeply effected, but I did go ovr and chat with one of the guys. It still seemed "off" to me, but I was also unsure of what should be my appropriate response to seeing them, as I didn't know if German representation was a usual and acceptable thing at these events. All I know is that personally ... it did hit me in the belly as "ain't fittin' " ... if you understand what I mean?

Those uniforms represented everything that the VE ceremonies and grand opening of the War Museum were about, the victory over an inhumane force.

Its like having war protestors at a Soldiers funeral or at Remembrance Day ceremonies to REMEMBER and HONOUR Fallen Soldiers. Time and place are at odds and their presence is absolutely out of context with the events.

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression ... in my opinion, needs to be practiced "in context".

In any other place, have fun with twisted humour I guess

Karmen
Old 21-01-07, 10:12
Film maker, CMP addict

Default German re-enactors

Even at Corowa the German re-enactors seem to be marginalised. You can deal with them this year, Jif.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 21-01-07, 10:39
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: German re-enactors

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Even at Corowa the German re-enactors seem to be marginalised. You can deal with them this year, Jif.
Roger and wilco, Keefy!
Old 24-01-07, 01:34
Vets Dottir

And I'll definately have my fryng pan along, to be used if required

Karmen