MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 31-01-13, 01:30
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Australian military fire sale

Hi All

Well it looks like the Australian Military equipment fire sale is about to start. See the newspaper report in the SA Advertiser today. Attached. For you guys in Sydney you will have a ring side seat to pick up all the good bargains from the Sydney based auctioneers. I hope they quickly replace the items they sell as we don't want to be caught with our pants down should some deviate country decide now is a good time to make a move.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Scan10171.jpg   Scan10172.jpg  
Old 31-01-13, 04:33
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Submarine

There was the case of the shire down at Westernport Bay, buying the ex RAN OTWAY ? class submarine and spending many thousands of the ratepayers dollars, to have the vessel towed from West Aust. . The crazy idea, was to have it as a tourist icon Is it still there moored off shore ? Down near Hastings ?

Another crazy council wacky plan ....
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 31-01-13, 08:11
Matt McMahon

Default here is the link

For all you cashed up buyers...

Kind regards

http://www.news.com.au/national/aust...-1226565344839
Old 31-01-13, 08:57
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianaa View Post
Holbrook NSW did it they moved one of the Owens class subs and planted in a park at the side of the Hume Hwy. It seems to have tourists looking at it every time I pass, so there must be some success in the idea.

Whether it increases patronage of local businesses is another matter, I suspect many people in the park are consuming the sandwiches they packed before they left home.
Diana

The RAN came along and took some parts from the Holbrook sub, in order to keep another sub of the same class seaworthy The Govt. gives and it also takes
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 31-01-13, 10:54

Isn't much of the Holbrook sub made of concrete? I think it is only a few external bits that are genuine. I've been through the sub at Fremantle. Supposedly it is preserved and displayed as it was on its last day of service. That is well worth a visit. Any town that could get one and display it like Fremantle will have a good tourist attraction. Sadly though the cash to do these things properly is usually lacking. The long running saga of HMAS Cerberus a good example.
Old 31-01-13, 11:48

Default Holbrook Sub

Quote:
Holbrook NSW did it they moved one of the Owens class subs and planted in a park at the side of the Hume Hwy. It seems to have tourists looking at it every time I pass, so there must be some success in the idea.

Whether it increases patronage of local businesses is another matter, I suspect many people in the park are consuming the sandwiches they packed before they left home.
That'd be an Oberon Class submarine...

It is well worth a visit. They have done an incredible amount of work done there
Old 31-01-13, 13:47

About six years ago HMAS Onslow a fully intact Oberon class sub was installed at Darling Harbour in Sydney and was open to the public to look through as part of the Maritime Museum. I think that it would still be there.

David

Last edited by motto; 31-01-13 at 13:57.
Old 08-02-13, 06:06
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Holbrook NSW did it they moved one of the Oberon class subs and planted in a park at the side of the Hume Hwy. It seems to have tourists looking at it every time I pass, so there must be some success in the idea.
How DO thesse threads end up getting so off track? Here is a previous thread on Oberon Boats.

And Diana, with your Albatross connections, you surely would know Holbrook's connections with submarines goes far beyond park playground features!
Old 13-02-13, 08:32

I'd love to see the day a machine gun ( even a de-ac gun) is sold to the Australian public. I'd love an SLR thou!

However a Melbourne mob is producing M4s in bolt action for cat a & b licensees. http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au...tion-to-follow

Easo