Old 20-01-14, 22:13
MLU Administrator

Default Motor Oil: "Riding the Film" 1937 Chevrolet Engine Lubrication

For all the splash lubrication fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz2p1SvuYjY
Old 20-01-14, 22:46

Default Great Find

Hi Hanno

First, for people viewing this video don't worry about the skiing and winter sports at the beginning this is the right video GM just had an interesting way of leading into the story the mechanical stuff starts around 2-3 minutes in.

Great find for those Chevy afficionados among us I had rigged up plastic viewing ports so I could understand how this system works in the "splash lubrication" Chevys. They are not kidding about being high volume oil pumps.

Also check out the Auto Mechanics: Water Cooled Engines: "Water Boy" 1936 Chev and the related GM Videos that come up on the U-Tube page.

Again thanks for find these, I'll have to add a link on my web page to these videos.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 21-01-14, 10:27

Default Oil pressure? More than you may think.

I was discussing the quaint lubrication system on the 'splash feed' engines with an old Chev man many years ago and he said something about oil pressure that has always stuck in my mind.
The question he put to me was that if somebody aimed a jet of water from a garden hose into your open mouth, you would experience pressure wouldn't you? The answer of course is 'yes indeed'.
The terrific speed at which the scoop on the big end advances into the jet of oil must result in quite a high pressure pulse. The system although seeming somewhat Heath Robinson to modern eyes does work and is quite adequate. You just have to make sure that everything is right.

David