MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 20-05-17, 22:41

Default Ede, Holland 1945

The attached photos were taken by my father when he was stationed in Ede, Holland from mid-May 1945. The only notes on the photos are "mine destroying Sherman" and "prewar French tank" (iron cross on turret).

2017-05-20 Ede 1945.jpg
Old 21-05-17, 00:04
MLU Administrator

German Panther tank;
British Sherman V "Crab" mine flail tank;
French Char B1 captured by the Germans in 1940 and re-used (it may have been fitted a flame thrower).

Thanks for sharing!
Old 14-12-20, 00:00

Default Ede 1945

Going through some of my late father's photos and came across these three photos apparently taken in Ede shortly after the end of hostilities. In photo 1, there are two men in the current - hard to see in the original small photo and only noticed today in checking the scan. I have no idea who they are but assume them to be members of the Canadian Scottish (don't know which battalion) with whom dad was serving at the time. It's possible that I've posted these photos previously. If so, my apology to the moderator. Jon

Ede 1945 1.jpg Ede 1945 2.jpg Ede 1945 3.jpg
Old 14-12-20, 02:07
MLU Administrator

Very interesting pictures Jon, thanks for sharing!
Old 15-12-20, 14:16

Quote:
t's possible that I've posted these photos previously. If so, my apology to the moderator. Jon
Jon, I haven't seen these before.....so thanks for sharing!

I wonder if that Char B is one of the German Flammpanzer versions that were active around Arnhem??

Alex
Old 15-12-20, 17:04

In the photo of the Panther (?), there appears to be "fencing", on either side, that looks to me like tank tracks. If so, might this have been a hastily placed defensive position?

Alex, I checked my "statistics" and see that I had posted the photos previously. I just re-discovered them this week and unintentionally re-posted.

Jon
Old 16-12-20, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGrath View Post
In the photo of the Panther (?), there appears to be "fencing", on either side, that looks to me like tank tracks. If so, might this have been a hastily placed defensive position?
It is a Panther Ausführung G, and the tracks are Panther tracks. Not sure why they would be snaking along there, but I get the impression they have been placed there to form a fence for some reason. In the left foreground (so behind the tank) there is also a drive sprocket ring, probably from this same Panther.
Old 16-12-20, 11:10
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Alex, I checked my "statistics" and see that I had posted the photos previously. I just re-discovered them this week and unintentionally re-posted.
Jon indeed you did, I see I even replied to it. Have now merged the two threads.

It is no problem to bring a topic back to top every now and then because you'll get new readers and responses. It is not unheard of here on MLU that a thread 10+ years old is revived
Old 17-12-20, 12:28

Quote:
Jon
Better safe than sorry, Jon.....as the pictures are very interesting.

Quote:
but I get the impression they have been placed there to form a fence for some reason.
My thought exactly. Heavy duty tracks as a replacement for a damaged fence?
In that case I think it's more likely a house or school in the background, rather than one of the army barracks.
Ede at one point had 5 or more Army bases! I visited the sites a few months ago. The whole area is turned into a residential area; some buildings were taken down, while others were redeveloped into houses.

Alex