MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 08-12-20, 22:45

Default M170

Quote:

"David:
As it is apparent that you have some radio background I have a question.
What would be the correct radio for an M38A1 M170 1955.
A chum has picked this up and wants to go radio vehicle not ambulance.
TNX
John Hooper "

Hello John, and welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately, my wireless set interests are pretty narrow, focused mainly on a small spectrum of WW2 Canadian Equipment. You raise some interesting points however.

If your friend has an M170 Ambulance version of the M38A1, my first thought is that vehicle is an interesting one in its own right for restoration, rather than faking a wireless equipped M38A1. Since the vehicle is dated at 1955, it would have been in service and the service life of that series probably ran into the early 1980's or so, a pretty broad spectrum of wireless equipment is covered, British, American, and probably a bit of Canadian. A time period for restoration would help narrow it down.

What really raises my curiosity, however, is how exactly, and to what depth, the Signals and LAD units were imbedded in the RCAMC? They must have had a presence of some form, but I have no idea how extensive it was?

For example, how did ambulances know where casualties were? How did they convey they needed more help with casualties? What happened when equipment broke down? Did Signals vehicles actively support them in the field? and last but not east, were there any significant changes in the relationship of the RCAMC and its support units from wartime to the postwar era?

I certainly do not have any answers, John, but lots of others on this Forum can probably give you and your friend a hand,

David
Old 09-12-20, 19:29

Default radio gear

Canada did not have any M-170's, the only Force that I know used the M-170 as a radio vehicle was the USMC, search the web I know there are photos and info on them out there,