MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 15-08-04, 18:27

Default Commonwealth Greyhounds

While trying to chase down some info on the 12th Lancers, I read in Steve Zaloga's Osprey book on the M8 Greyhound that British and Commonwealth forces in Italy received a goodly number of M8's. Steve gave partial (like George Carlin's "We have a partial score for you: Baltimore 3") totals at the army and corps level. Does anyone in this brain trust have specifics down to the regimental level?

There were threads on Greyhounds here but none that asked this question, I think.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Old 16-08-04, 09:50

Default M8 GREYHOUND

Hi Bob, if it helps at all ,in Richard Doherty's book 'A Noble Crusade'on the 8th Army 1941-45 there is a picture of 2 M8 greyhounds.They are pictured at the Plockau Pass between Italy and Austria at the border crossing.They are described as coming from 6 Troop, 56th Reconnaissance Regiment.
Mark Bevis in the Helion order of battle book British & Commonwealth Armies 1944-45 notes that 'a few units received M8 Greyhounds in late 1944(56th Recce Regiment at least). He then lists the 44th Recce Regiment of the 56th Infantry division as being equiped with M8's instead of Humber or Daimler armoured cars in its Squadrons. The 44th Recce may be a misprint ,as I thought all recce regiments followed their divisional number.
hope this helps James.
Old 17-08-04, 00:09

Default Thanks James

This is a good start, although I was hoping to put at least one in the hands of the 12th Lancers. . . . .

Bob