MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 22-04-03, 19:52

Default Delayed Soviet Surprize Attack

Its not CMP related but reminded me of the Ottawa "Boghound". Thought that you might be interested ...

http://www.opensea.ru/articles/travel/kv2003/.

Note that there is an English translation available. Robert

Last edited by Robert Dabkowski; 22-04-03 at 20:00.
Old 30-04-03, 16:41

Default More Pics !

Try http://www.around.spb.ru/variety/kv/.../rcs_index.php for some additional photographs. Sorry, no English translation on this one. Robert in Toronto
Old 14-09-06, 14:13
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Delayed Soviet Surprize Attack

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Dabkowski
the Ottawa "Boghound"
Any pics of that "Boghound" available? I read a lot about it, but never seen pictures.

H.
Old 18-09-06, 19:13

Default Boghound ...

Sorry, no photos that I know of. There was very little left by the time I saw it. I believe that the unit that bogged it was able to salvage much of the unit, including the turret and much internal equipment, by dismantling it in place.

Certainly the ground was too soft for any heavy lift gear to approach closely, at least when I was there, years later.

All that I was able to see was the top of the badly corroded hull, apparently cracked in half and mostly submerged.

I have heard a persistant rumour that the RCDs based in Petawawa did, in fact, manage to yank the remains out of the Winchester bog but that they were too badly rusted to even serve as the basis for a reproduction 'Hound. I have also been told that Camp Borden's 'Hound was then trucked to Petawawa for restoration instead but I am only spreading rumours at this point...

Perhaps someone else out there has more recent/reliable information to share ?
Old 18-09-06, 22:03
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Boghound ...

Thanks Robert!
Quote:
Indeed it would be interesting to hear more about this enigma...

H.
Old 20-09-06, 14:59

Default English part of site

The site mentioned earlier has some english content. Here is the site's news page:
http://www.nortfort.ru/news_site_e.html
Old 21-09-06, 18:41

Default Re: Boghound ...

Quote:
Sorry, no photos that I know of. There was very little left by the time I saw it. I believe that the unit that bogged it was able to salvage much of the unit, including the turret and much internal equipment, by dismantling it in place.

Certainly the ground was too soft for any heavy lift gear to approach closely, at least when I was there, years later.

All that I was able to see was the top of the badly corroded hull, apparently cracked in half and mostly submerged.

I have heard a persistant rumour that the RCDs based in Petawawa did, in fact, manage to yank the remains out of the Winchester bog but that they were too badly rusted to even serve as the basis for a reproduction 'Hound. I have also been told that Camp Borden's 'Hound was then trucked to Petawawa for restoration instead but I am only spreading rumours at this point...

Hi

I believe I can safely comment that the "Boghound" as you call it, has not been recovered by the RCD yet. I say yet as there is still a plan to do so as I wrote the plan!! I recce-ed the veh in spring 2005 and developed a seemingly workable plan including what kit was required to recover it. I submitted the plan to the DCO of the RCD but never got the launch order before I was posted. They may yet recover it as it's Crown land and we wish to prevent any private collector from stealing it. I can confirm it's just an empty hull and turret. My info suggested it wasn't bogged and abandoned but rather placed as an air-wpn taget since the site was a former Air Force Range for MG shoots. As far as I know, we don't have the Borden vehicle, but we'd like to!! Also we'd like our Sherman ARVE back too!!

Currently the Regt wants a Staghound and I have contacted the Defence Attaches for a number of Embassys of countrys that once owned Stags. The RCD now have a few sources and is preparing to finalize the request for a Stag. I cannot say from where we're getting it but can say it's a Military to Military deal but the Regt is picking up the tab. All "private" purchases I looked into were too cost prohibitive to us.

I have pics of the "Boghound" I can share but as I'm away from home doing Aghanistan pre-depoyment training for the next long while, I can't give an idea when I'll be able to post them.

regards
Darrell
(RCD)