MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 02-07-06, 17:04

Default Vacation finds

While in Europe last week, I found some accessory items for my carrier. I got an original WWII Canadian armored division flag, original WWII dated canvas Bren gun canvas cover, and a 1941 Canadian dated oil pour can. The man I got the items from has lots of other WWII Canadian things too. That, leads me to some questions. Did the carrier drivers use a tanker type helmet or not? Does anyone have a photo of an original #2 cooker? Where can I find photos of WWII Canadian uniforms and personal web gear that would have been worn by the Canadian troops, and specifically the carrier crew?
Thanks,
John Bizal
Old 02-07-06, 18:35
carrier mech

John
My understanding was that the cookers changed very little over the years. Here is a no2 cooker on ebay now: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Military-Army-No2...QQcmdZViewItem

I have a no2mk2, and it fits nice and snug in the over coocker tray located above the gas tank.
Old 03-07-06, 05:31
carrier mech

Brad
It is a sheet metal tray about 10X10 with a 1/2" lip around the edge. The cooker sits inside it. There are two sheet metal equivelents to footman loops on 2 opposing sides which allow a strap to retain the cooker.
Inderneath the cooker is two lengths of wood which extend to both gas tank straps. On the ends of the four corners are flat sheet metal pices which lay under the straps.
Sounds confusing? If you look at the stowage diagram for the carrier it shows an upper view of the tray, and my description should make a little more sense.
I'll see if I can locate my tray and cooker tomorrow (they are out in the garage somewhere) and get a couple of photos.
Old 03-07-06, 07:59
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
John
My understanding was that the cookers changed very little over the years. Here is a no2 cooker on ebay now: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Military-Army-No2...QQcmdZViewItem

I have a no2mk2, and it fits nice and snug in the over coocker tray located above the gas tank.
They haven't changed much indeed, this one on epay is a No.2 Mk.2 Modified and is both post war and expensive, they're seen here at the shows for £10 typically.

The No.2 Mk.2 is the same as wartime issue (they are never dated) and can immediately be identified by a smaller burner that is a simple cone with a loose flame spreader disc retained by radial "claws" at the top. Also it has the valve directly under the fuel tank whereas the later version has it under the burner and uses the tube spanner jet key as the control extension.

The metal mounting box for both is dimensionally identical, the modified version just has an extra hole on the right side for the valve key.

I have several of each and use them for real, the modified type are a real pain to get going properly and will make pulses of poorly vapourised, sooty, yellow flame for many minutes although when finally going well have a fierce burner. They control well having the valve below the burner and it includes an integral jet pricker.

The No.2 Mk.2 is a doddle to get going and has a roaring burner, it doesn't control well as the valve is at the far end of the fuel feed pipe and when shut off it is essential to blow out the final small yellow flame before it goes out or the jet will be blocked with carbon.

With either they eventually become a blackened, sooty mess and some care must be taken with pressurised petrol; never attempt to extinguish by releasing the tank pressure. . . . . . . . . . . .always use the valve!

Incidentally my measured performance of these cookers, using the same alloy kettle and equal start temperatures of 1 litre of water is:
Domestic gas 65mm burner...............7mins
Cooker No.2 ....................................5mins
Cooker No.2 modified........................6min 30secs
Cooker No.13 Petrol..........................8min 30secs
Diesel............................................ ..6 min 32 secs

Cooker No.13 is a much later device made entirely of stainless and having a small multi-fuel burner, it shows how much more energy there is in diesel oil though.

R.