MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 27-06-20, 21:10
MLU Administrator

Default War Department 16” divided rim: British and Canadian manufacture

The British War Department split rim came in various sizes. The one we look at here is the 6.00x16 version as fitted to Commonwealth 15- and 30-cwt trucks.

The rim width is 6" and the wheel diameter is 16", hence the 6.00x16 designation. It was also referred to as "flat base rim". This type of wheel was fitted with tyres sizes 9.00-16, 9.25-16 or 10.50-16, either in R.F. (Run Flat) or Pneumatic version.

There were some variations between British and Canadian manufacture as explained in this thread. Please add more info if you can.
Old 27-06-20, 21:21
MLU Administrator

Default British made rim

British made rims have the valve stem opening to the right of the bolt. All eight bolts are the same length.

The example is marked "RF" and "6.00x16". It was made by Sankey and is dated "7/41".

IMG_E5918_resized.jpg IMG_E5919_resized.jpg IMG_E5921_resized.jpg IMG_E5922_resized.jpg
Old 27-06-20, 21:28
MLU Administrator

Default Canadian made rim

Canadian made rims have the valve stem opening to the left of the bolt. Two of the eight bolts are longer than the other six.

This example has no maker or date stamp, only "6.00 / 16".

IMG_E5925_resized.jpg IMG_E5926_resized.jpg IMG_E5927_resized.jpg IMG_5936_resized.jpg IMG_E5928_resized.jpg
Old 27-06-20, 21:53
MLU Administrator

Default Wheel diameter

As per the thread new 9.00-16 tyres for WD split rim wheels, Mike Kelly measured up some tyres and found out that the wheel diameter of the British/Canadian 16" tyres and rims are ¼" larger than those of US 16" tires and rims. That is why standard 9.00-16 tyres which are not marked "for British rim" can be hard to fit to this type of rim.

I measured the circumference at the bead at 129 cm which converts to a wheel diameter of 16,2 inch. The circumference of the British and Canadian made rims is the same.

Wheel rim dimensions.gif
Old 27-06-20, 22:31

My Canadian rims have the attached instruction plate welded to them. Not present on my British rims (but they could have corroded away, of course).

Owen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C15 rim instruction plate.jpg (641.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg C15 rim.jpg (782.3 KB, 4 views)
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406
Old 27-06-20, 22:34
MLU Administrator

Default Instruction plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Evans View Post
My Canadian rims have the attached instruction plate welded to them. Not present on my British rims (but they could have corroded away, of course).
Thanks for the addition, Owen. I have a British rim for sale which still has the instruction plate attached.

IMG_5931_resized.jpg
Old 28-06-20, 11:51
MLU Administrator

Default British rim instruction plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Evans View Post
Here's another variation of the instruction plate, have not seen this before.

This is a British rim, as it has the valve stem opening to the right of the bolt.

British 16 inch rim instruction plate.jpg
Old 28-06-20, 05:27
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
This example has .....

Attachment 114791
..... Angle grinder cuts where the wheel nuts were cut off!

Not meaning to divert this thread, those cuts can be repaired to present a better finished rim before final painting.

While naturally a bead of weld will fill the grooves, the weld itself will require further grinding to clean it up flush and present a smooth lug nut seat. Some people might also have qualms about heat damage from the weld affecting the temper of the rim, and therefore it's structural soundness.

I have had great success with a metal filling epoxy called JB Weld. It can be shaped, sanded, or ground easily and binds securely to metal, so won't fall off in a slab years later. Readily painted with any automotive primer and paint system (ie Enamel or Acrylic). It doesn't just work on repairing grind marks, it also does a fantastic job on sandblasted rims that have hollows from rust pitting or gouges from kerb strikes. You'll have that rim looking like new again.
Old 28-06-20, 08:04
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Article

Found this , haven't read it yet.

http://www.usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/Tires/tires.html
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 28-06-20, 12:16
MLU Administrator

Default US divided rim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Lynn posted this link also, upon actually reading Kurt Laughlin's article I found an interesting drawing.

The US 16" rim was 15.965" in diameter and had 5 deg. bead angle.

US Combat Rim.jpg
Old 28-06-20, 12:01
MLU Administrator

Thanks for the tip, will use it when I need to restore the rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post

Not meaning to divert this thread, those cuts can be repaired to present a better finished rim before final painting.

While naturally a bead of weld will fill the grooves, the weld itself will require further grinding to clean it up flush and present a smooth lug nut seat. Some people might also have qualms about heat damage from the weld affecting the temper of the rim, and therefore it's structural soundness.

I have had great success with a metal filling epoxy called JB Weld. It can be shaped, sanded, or ground easily and binds securely to metal, so won't fall off in a slab years later. Readily painted with any automotive primer and paint system (ie Enamel or Acrylic). It doesn't just work on repairing grind marks, it also does a fantastic job on sandblasted rims that have hollows from rust pitting or gouges from kerb strikes. You'll have that rim looking like new again.
Old 29-06-20, 08:51
Rick Cove

Quote:

I purchased J B Weld yesterday. A$18.20 from Autobarn Bairnsdale. The only place in town who had some.

Cheers Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 02-07-20, 01:29
MLU Administrator

Default visible maker's stamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Canadian made rims have the valve stem opening to the left of the bolt. Two of the eight bolts are longer than the other six.

This example has no maker or date stamp, only "6.00 / 16".
Triggered by Jacques’ photo and on closer scrutiny of this Canadian made rim, it does have a vaguely visible maker's stamp "General Motors Canada 1941".

3EB68C6C-2D54-45EE-889F-20862B43BC5B.jpeg
Old 28-06-20, 04:55
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Some similar info in THIS THREAD from 2006.

For reference, it should be stated that the thread on the studs is 7/8" BSF (7/8"-11tpi). All threads for the divided rim studs are right hand thread.

On Canadian CMPs, wheels fitted to either left or right side of the vehicle have Left or Right hand thread 5/8" UNF (5/8"-18tpi) Lug Nut and Studs for each side of the vehicle.

British vehicles that use these style of wheels (and also towed equipment like 25Pdr Guns and No27 Limbers, even those made in Canada) have BSF thread Lug Nuts and Studs in LH and RH 1n 5/8"BSF (5/8"-14tpi).

These wheels freely interchange between Cdn or UK vehicles (and towed equipment), but the lug nuts and studs are particular to the vehicle.
Old 28-06-20, 13:05
MLU Administrator

Default thread on the studs

Very worthwile addition, Tony, thanks. I did want to focus on 16" rims, hence I did not continue in your thread.

Quote:
Some similar info in THIS THREAD from 2006.

For reference, it should be stated that the thread on the studs is 7/8" BSF (7/8"-11tpi). All threads for the divided rim studs are right hand thread.

On Canadian CMPs, wheels fitted to either left or right side of the vehicle have Left or Right hand thread 5/8" UNF (5/8"-18tpi) Lug Nut and Studs for each side of the vehicle.

British vehicles that use these style of wheels (and also towed equipment like 25Pdr Guns and No27 Limbers, even those made in Canada) have BSF thread Lug Nuts and Studs in LH and RH 1n 5/8"BSF (5/8"-14tpi).

These wheels freely interchange between Cdn or UK vehicles (and towed equipment), but the lug nuts and studs are particular to the vehicle.