MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 25-07-12, 07:58
BSM

Default AUS CMP tyre loading ramp

Mainly a question for knowledgeable Aust. CMP owners/MLU members however any assistance would be appreciated. The first attached image displays the spare wheel loading technique and apparatus used on a range of CMPs by 2nd AIF troops during WW2. After the tyre was in place the ramp was stowed under it with the raised section at the end assisting in keeping the tyre in place. The ramp in this instance is a single piece of equipment and the vehicle width at this point was sufficient to accept the ramp length when stowed.

The Australian No.6. Artillery Tractor was designed to tow the Bofors 40mm AA gun after the supply of British Bedford tractors dried up early in the War. It is basically a C60S cab chassis with a locally designed crew cab and stowage binning. All No.6. tractors were fitted with winches.

At the front of the crew cab there is a compartment for a lorry wheel on the left and another for the spare Bofors wheel on the right, drivers side. There is no accommodation for any type of ramp. Documentation on this aspect is yet to surface however I am of the opinion that some form of ramp existed and the most likely stowage spot is between the crew cab and the brake man's seat on the rear deck as shown in image 2. The third image is believed to be one of the securing brackets for such a device.

Problem here is that the available width is insufficient to accept a ramp of the type shown in the first image, basically too short. The contention therefore is that if there was a ramp stowed in said position then it would have been made in 2 sections, either hinged or joined somehow. Can anyone shed some light on this topic.
Thanks in advance....Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TyreLadderPic.jpg (81.1 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Stowage1.jpg (63.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Stowage2.jpg (30.4 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by BSM; 25-07-12 at 08:06.
Old 25-07-12, 08:34

Default ramp

could it be similar to the No 9 guntractor and fitted to side of unit by clamps ??
Old 25-07-12, 09:13
BSM

Bob, check out the new image. Other side is the same. Nowhere obvious that you could attach anything along the sides. The long door accesses three ammo lockers and you wouldn't want anything unnecessary hanging there. Do you have a pic of the No.9. type you describe and is it a single piece construction? Regards ... Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No6 Bofors Tractor3.jpg (29.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 25-07-12, 10:14

Default ladder

Could be fitted any where as it doesn,t have ramp on end, only 1,1/2" thick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corowa 09 109.jpg (56.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 25-07-12, 10:20

looking at the underneath of the spare tyre in your photo BSM and as I have the same photos it is possible that the exact same type of ramp as a normal CMP was fitted.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 25-07-12, 11:06
BSM

Thanks Bob and Cliff. Bob I take your point but I still do not see an attachment point and I have the advantage as I have the Tractor. Same deal Cliff, each tyre compartment is separated and does not have the depth for the "ladder" assembly you allude to. Please see attached image. Regards...Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No6HQ.jpg (86.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 25-07-12, 16:02

Default Wheels???

Not to hijack the thread but don't those wheels on that CMP look like the ones on my 20CWT trailer that I'm looking for?