MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 02-08-04, 17:28
MLU Administrator

Default Scrapyard somewhere in Canada?

Carrier, CMPs, Sherman tank...who knows where this is?

http://www.midwestmil.com/Canadatrip4.jpg

http://www.midwestmil.com/Canadatrip5.jpg

http://www.midwestmil.com/Canadatrip9.jpg

Source: http://www.midwestmil.com/Canada.html
Old 02-08-04, 17:46
Vets Dottir

Hi Hanno .... IF those were taken in Canada my first guess would be Saskatchewan somewhere. second guess, Manitoba.... just judgingby the flatness and the bit of trees in the backgrounds ... sorry I don't really know

Carman
Old 02-08-04, 23:39
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Scrapyard?

Looks more like a collector they way things are lined up...

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 03-08-04, 00:55

Default Scrapyard somewhere in Canada?

The scenery in these pictures and the web site look a lot like the Stan Reynolds collection south of Edmonton Alberta. Stan Reynolds roamed western Canada initially collecting farm equipment. He eventually filled acres with all kinds of vehicles and aircraft. The buildings in the background of some of the shots look like the old museum buildings were Stan restored and displayed some of his pieces.

The Alberta government built a museum next to the property to provide a more sercure home for a small part of the collectionhe collection. The Canadian Aviation Hall of Fame built an aircraft museum next to it to houses some of the aircraft.

Here'a a link to the current museum's website: http://www.reynoldsalbertamuseum.com

If the pictures in this message chain are of this collection I would bet that someone from the museum could tell you where they are.
Old 03-08-04, 01:39

I think Steve is correct. That was my initial thought when I saw the pics. Stan Reynolds property is close to the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin Alberta. The Reynolds were buying and selling military vehicles a few years ago, I believe. I have never found anything on the 'net though.
Old 03-08-04, 02:42
Old Sigs Type

Default Re: Scrapyard?

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Looks more like a collector they way things are lined up...
Actually, it looks more like the current Canadian Forces vehicle compound.
Old 03-08-04, 04:29

It is the Reynolds collection in Wetaskawin alberta, I've wandered around there and have similar pictures. The Province of Alberta Built a Huge Museam Filled entirely with vehicles he donated showing every aspect of Alberta Life from the first Hand and Horse Drawn Farm Machinary to Trucking and Cars And Racing... It's just astounding. In addition there is a huge warehouse bigger than a football field containig all kinds of vehicles on palletized racks at least 3 high, the other half is all tracked vehicles on a hugh dirt floor. On the otherside of the test track (A replica of an old speedway for racing old ModelT's) there is the aviation hanger... Full! Then there is the stuff he kept which includes all the military stuff, he might just break the record on CMP's in one location... NONE FOR SALE!!! I was told in no uncertain terms when I made a special trip there in 1999 when I heard he was selling things. He still had his own original museum where the tank is and lots of CMP's and BCATP aircraft , Native and Pioneer stuff, lots and lots of stuff....
When I was there in 99 there was a big announcment when he donated an additional 80 aircraft to the big museum.
Not bad for an old RCAF Mossie Pilot, He has one of those to! Oh yea .. steam tractors steam machines , old amusement rides, the first dragline ever built, Buggies....

DAMN!! I THINK HE WINS...
Old 03-08-04, 04:53
Vets Dottir

Default History buff

Incredible... this guy is most definately a deep and true blue lover of history and preservation... he sure knows how to "GO WITH THAT!" Nonstop... what a great visit and trip down memory lane his place is. I'd go in a heartbeat
Old 03-08-04, 05:02

Default Worth the visit

The public museum is absolutely worth the trip. I was there in 1994 when my daughter attended air cadet camp at Penhold. We had a great day. Harry is right about how much they have preserved. We could have spent 2 days there.
We drove past Stan Reynolds property which is close, but did not stop other than to look at the hundreds of pieces of machinery over the fence.
Its worth the trip!
Old 03-08-04, 22:48
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Photo story

So who's going to do the photo story on this collection? I'll gladly host it.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 04-08-04, 04:24
In Vino Veritas

Default Stan Reynolds

He is pretty fussy about letting people wander around in the yard snapping photos. I have quite a few that I posted here a few years back, sent some to Hanno too...though I imagine Hanno gets a few pics sent to him.
There is the provincial museum called "The Reynolds Alberta Museum" which was a 22 million dollar museum of transportation in Alberta. A handful of experts spent a week looking around Stan's thousands of vehicles and selected 1400 historically significant ones to seed the museum. These were dragged 1/2 mile to a peice of land , donated by Stan, for the new museum. This left , probably 3000-5000 remaining in Stans yard. The family still has there own museum but no money to restore stuff and its in a steel quonset like shed and outside. No temp or humidity control. Still really neat, more military stuff at his private one. But its only open from May to sept. The government museum is open year round.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 04-08-04, 09:36
MLU Administrator

Thanks all for your replies! Seems another thing to add to the "to do" list when visiting Canada.

Amazing what some people collect during their lifetime. Reminds me of my local Den Hartog Ford Museum, the largest private collection of Ford vehicles in the world.

Hanno
Old 04-08-04, 17:41
In Vino Veritas

Default Hanno visit

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Seems another thing to add to the "to do" list when visiting Canada.
...its just a 15 minute drive from where you'll land when you come to visit the Arctc and earn your boyscout camping badge

Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 06-08-04, 02:35
Michael

Ill have to take a trip to alberta and see. That is an amazing collection....maybe he'll donate some of his vehciles