MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 23-10-06, 14:35
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Vegemite Ban

Well, it looks like the Yanks have finally lost it!

Quote:
US bans Vegemite

Kelvin Healey
October 22, 2006 12:00am

THE United States has slapped a ban on Vegemite, outraging Australian expatriates there.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite contains folate, which in the US can be added only to breads and cereals.
Expatriates say that enforcement of the ban has been stepped up recently and is ruining lifelong traditions of having Vegemite on toast for breakfast.

Former Geelong man Daniel Fogarty, who now lives in Calgary, Canada, said he was stunned when searched while crossing the US border recently.

"The border guard asked us if we were carrying any Vegemite," Mr Fogarty said.

"I was flabbergasted." Paul Watkins, who owns a store called About Australia in San Antonio, Texas, said he had been forced to stop importing Vegemite six months ago.

"We have completely stopped bringing it in," he said.

"(US authorities) have made a stance and there is nothing that can be done about it."
Old 23-10-06, 14:51
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Keep 'em out...!!

That is one way of keeping the Ozzies out of the States...the y'alls must think that Vegemite is something like dynamite...
Old 23-10-06, 14:55

Default Vegemite

They can't handle the power of Vegemite.......... Next it will be Tim Tams............
Old 23-10-06, 15:00

Default Re: Vegemite

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Pullen
They can't handle the power of Vegemite.......... Next it will be Tim Tams............
I don't think they sell them there either..My daughter lives in Chicago and we couldn't find them there..
We can get them in western Canada at Safeways though..
Old 23-10-06, 17:51

Default Remarket as modelling supplies

Not Vegemite but it's close cousin, Marmite. From a 'Model Military International' (issue 6, Oct.2006) article by Les Smith where he explains how he uses Marmite as a mask for painting. The results are surprisingly good and, I guess, if you used non-toxic paint, you could recycle it for your sandwich!

Cheers, Dave
Old 23-10-06, 18:12

From the article
Attached Thumbnails
marmite article.jpg  
Old 23-10-06, 20:34
Vets Dottir

Default Hey!

Hi Y'all,

When I first moved here (in Feb) Safeway had Vegemite on sale. They were in the process of clearing the shelves of many products in preparation of renovating and rearranging the store. I've not seen Vegemite on their shelves since before the renos. Maybe Canada is also saying no to Vegemite?

Do you think there will be a black market starting for Bootleg Vegemite? And I wonder how long the jailterm would be for getting caught

Confounded (Eh?) Ma Yappy.
Old 23-10-06, 21:28
Film maker, CMP addict

Default That's IT!

I'm calling the Prime Minister... ask him to have a chat to George Doubleya... At least we should suspend other diplomatic relations until this is cleared up!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 23-10-06, 21:32
Vets Dottir

Default Re: That's IT!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
I'm calling the Prime Minister... ask him to have a chat to George Doubleya... At least we should suspend other diplomatic relations until this is cleared up!
Old 23-10-06, 22:05

It occurred to me today that only the Americans could ban something because it's healthy...
Old 23-10-06, 22:13
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Vegemite Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Well, it looks like the Yanks have finally lost it!

Hey Dubyah....that's folate....F..O..L..A..T..E, not fallout!

My God, what's next, Haggis??!! I don't think George knows that the Dallas Cowboys place kicker is from Oz. We finally get a good one, and now we're probably going to lose him!
Old 23-10-06, 22:32
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Vegemite Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Hey Dubyah....that's folate....F..O..L..A..T..E, not fallout!

My God, what's next, Haggis??!!
The Scots would NEVER permit the banning of Haggis! Laird tunderin' bejeezuz no not ever no way!
Old 24-10-06, 01:38
48th Highlander

Default Vegemite ban

This is my third request on the formula for this weird product. Do they roast it, fry it or boil it. Or eat it on a stick like a Popsicle? I sure hope those Chappies down under will excuse me not knowing the right culinary use of this weird food stuff. Do they fish for it, shoot it or harvest it or use it as a hardener for cement.

Oh well, what the hell. Any country that celebrates Xmas in the summer has strange animals that carry their young around in a purse and others like the duck billed Platypus with its many strange appendix and folks who have not learned to press the brim of their military hats flat. So you must excuse the rest of the world when it looks with suspicion when they produce a food product for human consumption called
vegemite
Old 24-10-06, 02:05

Default Re: Vegemite ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm Cromie
This is my third request on the formula for this weird product. Do they roast it, fry it or boil it. Or eat it on a stick like a Popsicle? I sure hope those Chappies down under will excuse me not knowing the right culinary use of this weird food stuff. Do they fish for it, shoot it or harvest it or use it as a hardener for cement.

Oh well, what the hell. Any country that celebrates Xmas in the summer has strange animals that carry their young around in a purse and others like the duck billed Platypus with its many strange appendix and folks who have not learned to press the brim of their military hats flat. So you must excuse the rest of the world when it looks with suspicion when they produce a food product for human consumption called
vegemite
Hi Norm
I remember you asking about this product..
The Ozzies use it for all sorts of things,even eat it..It is an evil smelling product that tastes like rotten cheese curds swimming in battery acid...

This is right from their web site....
They hook their kids on it right away and it is highly addictive..

Quote..."

The perfect time to introduce Vegemite is when your baby is enjoying a variety of solid foods. Apart from providing vital nutrition, its flavour can help babies accept new foods. Try adding a little Vegemite to mashed vegetables and pureed meat dishes. Then, as they grow, spread it on their rusks, sandwiches and toast."

Jeez...they even spread it on their rusks..
That is probably a miss print and it must be "Tusks"....which they must nip off when they get over a month old like we do to baby pigs,cause I can't remember seein' any Ozzies with tusks....
But I was drinkin' one night with this Ozzie chick........er..better leave that story for Gracies Bar and Grill when the lads have another gather up...
Now barring "Tusks" it may be an Ozzie name for "Butts" ,but my mom used to put talcum powder on my butt...but I made her stop once I left home and joined up at 17...
Anyway Norm..you can read all about Vegemite here at their home page..

http://www.vegemite.com.au/
Old 24-10-06, 02:09

It looks like, and tastes like, crushed grass off your lawn, Norm. Spread it on your toast and it becomes... err... interesting. It kind of looks like the grease you pasted onto the front knuckle joints of your trucks... while I've never tasted that grease, I imagine it's not too far different. Suffice to say, Vegemite is an acquired taste. Who says the Aussies ever lacked imagination?
Old 24-10-06, 02:13

Default Re: Re: Vegemite ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
But I was drinkin' one night with this Ozzie chick........er..better leave that story for Gracies Bar and Grill when the lads have another gather up...
Far be it from me to home in on something significant, but please tell us more, Alex? We don't believe you...
Old 24-10-06, 02:21
Vets Dottir

Quote:
It looks like, and tastes like, crushed grass off your lawn, Norm. Spread it on your toast and it becomes... err... interesting. It kind of looks like the grease you pasted onto the front knuckle joints of your trucks... while I've never tasted that grease, I imagine it's not too far different. Suffice to say, Vegemite is an acquired taste. Who says the Aussies ever lacked imagination?
Hmmmm ... verrrrry interrrressstink. I seem to recall how much you loved some soups and gravies that a certain someone informed you after-the-fact that Vegemite was used in the base

(okay, okay, I'll behave now)
Old 24-10-06, 02:25

Default Re: Re: Re: Vegemite ban

Quote:
Far be it from me to home in on something significant, but please tell us more, Alex? We don't believe you...

Jeez Jif..
Now are you telling me that you never ended up with a chick ,...well maybe she didn't have 'Tusks"...but she could eat squash through a picket fence...????

You are one lucky trooper ....

If you don't believe what I write on the MLU Sgt's Mess Tattler,then you are cordially invited to the next gather up at Gracies in Ottawa,where you will learn the truth...the WHOLE truth...and nothing but the truth......
Which I never stretch...
Or embelish.....
Old 24-10-06, 11:12
Bluebell

Default Cmon Aussies

Hey Guys, Big brother is using the same reason you Aussies use to stop N.Z. apples going into Australia. The reason.....There is no reasonable reason!!!
In recent years it has been found that folate is very nesassary in the diets of pregnant women to help stop some forms of birth defects. The New Zealand government is currently considering whether to make folate a mandatory ingredient in all bread made in this country....Now back to the apples.....

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 24-10-06, 12:49
Mark

Default Vegemite Production

Did you know that Vegemite is made from a by product of Beer Production with a little salt added. Of course its good for you, Folate helps develop reasoning ability and memory in the developing human babies brain. Imagine what would happen if the US allowed a generation to be born with the ability to reason and remember.
Old 24-10-06, 18:01
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Suffice to say, Vegemite is an acquired taste.

Is it possible to acquire a taste for vegemite after one try? The answer is yes! While on U.N. leave in Petra, Jordan I stopped into the one and only watering hole serving alcoholic beverages. The Infidel's Lair, I believe it was called. Relieved to find they had beer other than "Stella", I ordered a bottle. Only $10.00usd each, I might add! A middle aged Western couple strolled in and took a table near me. Upon hearing the unmistakeable Ozzie twang, I struck up a conversation with them. Our chat soon came around to, of all things, Vegemite whereupon I mentioned that I had never had a chance to savour that Ozzie treat. Well, faster than you can say, digeridoo, the sheila produced a jar from her purse! I grabbed a spoon and tried some...it was delicious! It is possible to acquire, and quickly, a taste for the stuff.

CHIMO!
Old 24-10-06, 19:51

Default vegemite!!

Hi,
For those who have never had the pleasure of hot toast with melting butter (the real -yellow, high collesterol stuff, not the enemic white rubbish served in the states) with a thin layer of Vegemite spread over top and a good strong cup of tea (NOT orange pekoe!). You have missed out on a true cullinary delight. There are many ways to consume such a treat; "mousetraps" - aka. grilled cheese (again the - real - high collesterol stuff is best) on toast smeared with Vegemite - heaven! Put it in soups and etc.
Now, Vegemite may be a bit strong for some wimps, oops, did I say WIMPS, it is as thick as axle grease and tastes like concentrated soy sauce, and I swear it has a half-life. I have never seen a jar of Vegemite go off (it usually gets eaten first) I have a "vintage" jar in the fridge that "expired" in 1995 and is still great. This is making me salivate, I may have to stop and eat some. Go and try some, before you knock it.
Cheers,
Dave
Old 25-10-06, 00:55
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Geoff endorses it.

Back in 2001 I did a taste test with Geoff who, as you can see, pronounced it "Not bad", a ringing endorsement in my book.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 25-10-06, 01:12
Vets Dottir

And there you have it in words and images
Ma Yappy
Old 25-10-06, 01:18
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Advertising

Could be the basis for a 'viral' advertising campaign for Kraft.

Once George Doubleya sees it he'll reverse the ban for sure. Maybe even make the stuff compulsory.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 25-10-06, 01:33

I'M HUMILIATED....
Old 25-10-06, 01:33
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Advertising

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Could be the basis for a 'viral' advertising campaign for Kraft.

Once George Doubleya sees it he'll reverse the ban for sure. Maybe even make the stuff compulsory.
One can only hope?
Old 25-10-06, 01:47
Vets Dottir

Quote:
I'M HUMILIATED....
I wouldn't feel humilated. You're only human and no one can beat the Vegemite addiction. But it is so terribly rude of your Aussie friend to rub it in publically. Yes? No? (I'm an angel )
Old 25-10-06, 02:14
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Humility

Quote:
I'M HUMILIATED....
Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 25-10-06, 10:57

Default Vegemite

The real sad irony is that the Kraft company(the very one that makes the worlds greatest food source), is now actually American owned.........