MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 02-02-09, 21:16
MLU Administrator

Default FS: Diamond T975 in England

Ad found on HMVF:

Quote:
Well i have decided to sell my Diamond t to finance another project. The Diamond T 975 is one of only 1500 of this model made between 1940/41 to 1943. The 975 was a long wheel base.These were built for the Canadian Army and came in different forms such as GS cargo as mine and bridge laying bodys ect. My truck is in good running order and i have used it on a regular bassis it gets run at least once a month even in the winter time so no long periods of standing still. It still needs some paint work doing to the wheels and other odds and ends doing.It still has its hercules petrol engine, its 6 volts electrics and 12 volt starting.I am asking £7000.ono. I dont know of another 975 over here in the UK but i may be wrong.I can email more pics on request. My email Hwade111@aol.com Tel 01379 871161.

Thanks for Looking
Howard
No connections, not a CMP, but a truck built specifically for the Canadian Army and worthy of finding a good home!

- Hanno
Attached Thumbnails
Diamond%20T%20Rougham%20015.jpg  
Old 03-02-09, 09:00

I think this one has changed hands a few times in recent years and the cost of petrol cannot help.

If it is the one I am thinking about it started life as a Bridge Carrier and subsequently ended up with this body during a post war rebuild (ex-Denmark?). Still a very rare truck.
Old 03-03-09, 15:09
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Ashley View Post
I think this one has changed hands a few times in recent years and the cost of petrol cannot help.
Indeed, the seller bought a GMC CCKW 353 which he hopes he can take out to shows more often than the Diamond T.

Just read on HMVF this Diamond T was sold to a new owner in Holland. The Dutch are at it again!

- Hanno
Old 04-03-09, 10:58
MLU Administrator

Another Diamond T 975, this time a Pontoon Truck, was recent sold by Army Cars, to an unknown buyer.
Attached Thumbnails
diamondt975pontontruck.jpg  
Old 09-10-09, 21:31

Default Canadian Long wheelbase Diamond T975 survivors?

I don't know of any exact numbers, but I guess several thousands of long wheelbase Diamonds must have been built under canadian contracts.....but how many of these T975's survive today?

The Dutch army picked up quite a few from the vehicle dump in Deelen, but I don't know if any of these survive today(?).
The Danish army sold a number of the Canadian Diamonds a few years ago and most of the trucks now seen on shows seem to have come from their stocks. Sadly most of them lost their "Canadian" bodies somewhere in their career.

Alex
Old 09-10-09, 21:38
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
but how many of these T975's survive today?
Alex,

Here“s a couple of them. One was for sale in the UK and came to Holland, the other was for sale at a dealer in Holland and went to who knows where.

Can“t think of many more, but once you start counting you should be able to come up with a few dozen?

H.

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 29-03-11 at 22:54. Reason: fixed link
Old 09-10-09, 21:39

I know four examples in Holland:
  1. First picture shows the T975 Pontoon carrier of the The Marshall museum in Overloon (ex-Danish army?). Sadly it carries US registration.
  2. An identical example was recently sold to a group of MV collectors in the South of Holland. Hanno posted a picture of that one on MLU over here: http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12370
  3. The second picture shows the ex-Howard Wade T975 which is now owned by someone in Holland. (picture taken at Wings and Wheels show, Belgium)
  4. I have only seen a picture of the fourth Dutch example on the internet....I will try to dig it up. If I remember correctly it was in storage but it might still have the original body fitted.
Than there used to be another one; I remember seeing a Brown Diamond T flatbed (?) with mickey mouse camo here in Holland in the 80's, but I never saw it again. I even heard it was sold to one of the museums in Canada(?).
Attached Thumbnails
Overloon1.jpg   WingsWheelsT975.jpg  

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 09-10-09 at 22:09.
Old 09-10-09, 21:41

Hanno.......you are just too fast.....or I am getting too slow. I was still gathering info for this thread!

Alex
Old 09-10-09, 22:04
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Hanno.......you are just too fast.....or I am getting too slow. I was still gathering info for this thread!
Alex,

Think of it as an 1-2tje!

I have a pic of Alex Schmidt“s 975 somewhere, I“ll post it here when I find it.

Hanno
Old 09-10-09, 22:22

Here is the fourth example I mentioned:

source: http://www.geocities.com/militairvehicles/

Still fitted with the Machinery body! I'd love to see this truck in real life!

Quote:
I have a pic of Alex Schmidt“s 975 somewhere, I“ll post it here when I find it.
Terrific, I didn't know about that one. That would make 5 in Holland so far.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
diamond.jpg  
Old 09-10-09, 22:35

Quote:
Here is the fourth example I mentioned:
Hello, this one is from Jarno Wormgoor, he also ownes a cab 11 Ford FGT, a Ql, Fordson and a Champ, looks like he likes Canadian Britisch .

Green Greetings

Hendrik van Oorspronk
Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 10-10-09, 03:06
Graeme Jamieson

Default Part book

I think I may have discovered the spare parts book for it.
Graeme
Attached Thumbnails
DT.jpg  
Old 12-10-09, 14:48

Greame,

I recon the manual you found is for the short wheelbase US versions. The 968 is the normal cargo version, the 969 the wrecker. The Canadians did use the 969 however and I guess for work on the cab and chassis you could use either of the manuals...
Mechanically the short wheelbase and long wheelbase Diamonds were the same, the only difference being the longer chassis rails, one extra crossmember and longer drive shafts.

Attached a picture for some "colour" to this thread. Picture taken by Frits Lamberts in Almelo Holland, 1945. I just love this picture (one of a series taken at the same location) as it shows a number of Canadian Diamonds, but also CMP 3 ton trucks with Bailey bridge equipment.
I visited the location with a friend recently.....no, no Diamonds anymore

source: www.geheugenvannederland.nl

Does anyone know of any survivors of the Canadian Diamonds on Canadian soil???
Attached Thumbnails
NFA03_lam-22-6_U.jpg  

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 12-10-09 at 15:06.
Old 13-10-09, 00:55

Does anyone know the current location of Genaral Crerar's caravan? Borden maybe? Any pictures?

I understand the caravan was found by Bill Gregg and put on the back of a Diamond T975 for display in a Canadian museum. From what I have heard the Diamond in question might have been the Dutch one, previously a flatbed painted brown with black camo.

Quote:
Hello, this one is from Jarno Wormgoor, he also ownes a cab 11 Ford FGT, a Ql, Fordson and a Champ, looks like he likes Canadian Britisch .
@ Hendrik. I think I remember seeing pictures of an cab 11 gun tractor under restoration somewhere in Holland; the fellow also owned the remains of the bodies of two others. Could that be Jarno?
It would be great to see both the FGT and Diamond T975 in a "correct" liberation parade next year!

Alex
Old 29-03-11, 21:19

I came across these pics this afternoon; taken at the Canadian War Museum in 2004 according to the source. Great to see a Diamond Machinery truck (Machinery M?) in preservation.

Alex

Source: http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/ro...ry_vintage.htm
Old 29-03-11, 21:27

Default I saw one

About fifteen years back I was in Norway and saw a Canadian T with a Bay City crane / shovel set on it. Looked entirely original.

Gordon
Old 03-04-11, 12:11
rwprince

Default Canadian Diamond T LWB

2 years ago I was in Sweden and looked at a Canadian LWB 6x6 for sale. I was reasonably original except for a missing engine and transmission. Had crane mounted on it as shown above in pictures in this thread. I know is was sold to a collector in Holland with a few big trucks. I have pictures, but don't know how to upload them. I do have an original CANADIAN manual for this military truck that I purchased here in Australia....also anothe CANADIAN manual for the Willys MB jeep....again purchased here from a book dealer.
Old 03-04-11, 12:50
carrier mech

Quote:
Does anyone know the current location of Genaral Crerar's caravan? Borden maybe? Any pictures?

I understand the caravan was found by Bill Gregg and put on the back of a Diamond T975 for display in a Canadian museum. From what I have heard the Diamond in question might have been the Dutch one, previously a flatbed painted brown with black camo.

Alex
Crerar's caravan followed Bill Gregg's collection to Shilo. They did not have a truck to put it on, so they removed the rear deck from the Diamond T wrecker which was also from the gregg collection, and spliced the frame to give it the required wheelbase. I drove it about 9 years back after doing a little work on the starter. As far as I know it remains in the Shilo Artillery museum's collection,
Old 21-04-11, 18:25
Alex Schmidt

Hi All, interesting Topic! My 975 came from the Marshall Museums collection, they had 3 of them, all from Denmark, and the pontoon bridge model, with the spare wheel on the side of the bed.

I don't think mine went to Canada, first it went to Belgium, then Luxembourg, and now is or was in Germany, in a terrible state, believed to be for sale, can find out if anyone is interested.

Drove the truck to Normandy and back in 1989 I believe, with a M3A1 halftrack on the back, a memorable ride!!!

And here how it looked 5? years ago:

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt
Attached Thumbnails
Diamont_T_front_copie.jpg  
Old 03-05-11, 01:09

Lex,

Thanks for posting the pics of your former Diamond; It must have been your truck that I saw in the 80's than. It was at a Remembrance tour in Haarlem and if I remember correctly (I was a young boy in those days ) the Diamond had about 5 motorbikes on the back before the tour and was driven by two women during the tour (?)

Oh my....it's terrible to see the current condition of the truck...let;s hope it gets saved once again.

Alex
Old 05-06-11, 14:17

hello all,

I have buyed the 3rd diamond T.

Jan Willem de Jong
Old 09-09-14, 23:02

I have "found" three more 975's on the web.

One restored by "Cameron restorations" in the UK and oddly enough described as being a 970A, but the data plate shows it's true identity. (picture 1 &2)
This truck seems to have the same rear body as the ex-Howard Wade 975, which I presume is a body fitted post-war by the Norwegians or Danish army(?)
Click image for larger version

Name:	4595498421.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	67771 Click image for larger version

Name:	4595498429.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	67772
source: http://www.cameronrestorations.co.uk...ary/4574129676

The other two are in the "Piana Delle Orme" museum in Italy and retain their Original bodies. (picture 3 & 4; Second Diamond can be seen in the background)

Name:	P5290757.JPG
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	67773 Click image for larger version

Name:	P5290759.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	67774
source: http://opevneni.blogspot.nl/2013_10_01_archive.html

Alex

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 09-09-14 at 23:36. Reason: formatting
Old 10-09-14, 09:38
Alex Schmidt

Hi Alex,

Yes, I had seen the ones in the big Iti museum too!

And yes, that was my truck in Haarlem, with the 2 blondes!!!

Have not heard if anything happened with it, but presume the truck is still in Germany, one of the blondes lives in Normandy right now!

Also 2 pictures of the trip to Normandy in '89, must have been insane to even try that! but we got back OK too, only 3 burst (recapped) tyres, and had 3 spares, we were very lucky!

They are great trucks!!! also read the Wheels & Tracks article, very informing.

Cheers,

Lex
Attached Thumbnails
Diamond_T.jpg   Diamond_T_975_002.jpg  
Old 14-09-14, 17:39

A couple of cab and chassis units were sold into the St. Claude area of Manitoba back in the 70's and the Machinery body from one was still around a few years ago. Both vehicles came out of Military District 10, here in Canada. Probably all Scrappiest Fodder by now.

David
Old 15-09-14, 09:44
MVT Member 11001

Default Diamond T

Was the Machinery body fitted to these the same as the six wheeled CMP Ford and Chevrolet trucks?
Old 15-09-14, 11:28

Quote:
And yes, that was my truck in Haarlem, with the 2 blondes!!!
I will ask my father if he has any pictures of that occasion......of course taking pictures was different in those days....you could only take 24, maybe 25....nowadays we all just shoot along
That picture of your Diamond on the Normandy lane.....peace and quiet....very different from this years remembrance, I imagine!

Quote:
A couple of cab and chassis units were sold into the St. Claude area of Manitoba back in the 70's and the Machinery body from one was still around a few years ago
David, I have seen pics of a Machinery body some time ago; I presume it could be the same you are talking about.

Larry, the Lindsey bodies used on the Diamond are slightly longer than the ones used on the C60X. Also, the layout and machinery differed.

Alex

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 15-09-14 at 12:06.
Old 15-09-14, 12:55
Alex Schmidt

Default Pictures

Hello Alex,

Pictures would be splendid!! don't have that much for that period!!

Cheers,

Lex
Old 19-09-14, 08:34

Default diamond T

I have a Diamond T 969B here in British Columbia Canada . It started life as an open cab was converted to a closed cab by the Canadian Army then I returned it back to an open cab. I will try to post pictures. George Mckenzie here in Canada is restoring a open cab Diamond T that was also converted to a closed cab and he is going to restore it that way.

Dan Jahn
Old 25-09-14, 21:27

It seems the "Cameron Restorations" Diamond T 975 will be auctioned next month;

Quote:
Was used to carry Bridging equipment and pontoons. With winch, taxed with v5. Reg VSL 369.
To be auctioned by HJ Pugh on Sat 25th October at Letton Court, Letton, Herefordshire for for Duncan Cameron & Sons and the private collection for A D Cameron.
www.hjpugh.com
http://milweb.net/classifieds/large_...ad=74411&cat=4

Alex
Old 16-11-14, 11:47
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by welbike View Post
Have not heard if anything happened with it, but presume the truck is still in Germany, one of the blondes lives in Normandy right now!
Lex, this is your old truck, right?

It is advertised for sale in France.....

Quote:
Very rare Diamond T 6x6 Pontoon Truck

Name:	75203.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	69088
WW2 US Army 1943 with Garwood front winch, Pontoon carrier ex Corps of engineers US Army,
needs restoration, very complete truck, price £5000 (Pound Sterling) ,
please specify full address and landline telephone number,thank you very much for your understanding.
0033 665 234647
Jean Petit