MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 23-12-03, 21:40
Film maker, CMP addict

Default The new baby

This is the latest arrival at the Eltham barracks - a bouncing C60S which Euan and I solid towed from Oakleigh about 30 km away.
When I say bouncing I am referring to the flat spots on the 12.00X20 tyres which will need a good run on a warm day to sort out. It's been sitting in the one place for some seven years.
I hope to fire up it's Land Cruiser engine this afternoon. It's mated to the original gearbox.

More pics

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 23-12-03, 21:57
Member since 1998

Default congratulations

Excellent! It's good to see you have finally come over from the dark side and bought a Chev. Must be due to hanging around Euan and his new baby.
Landcruser motors are just an alloy copy of a 235 but I'm sure you will now be searching for an all powerful 216... and some Chev doors perhaps?
Is the winch an original fitting? Merry Christmas to you and the family.
Old 23-12-03, 22:08
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Details

Thanks, Wayne
Come over from the dark side, eh?
I've always liked Chevs too!
Interestingly, those Ford doors originally came from a Ringwood Timber and Trading Co F60L - I have a pic of it somewhere taken in the early 1970s.
The winch is a retrofit with the cable running down the outside of the left chassis rail. That's why the fairleads are upside down.
Can't wait to take it for a bit of a spin, although there is some work to be done on the brakes - although they're all sleeved in stainless steel, a non-original booster has been fitted and they won't keep a pedal for more than a day or so. Possibly there is a problem with the way it's plumbed in.
Before we towed it we adjusted the handbrake which resulted in clouds of smoke and a rapid stop for more tweaking.
Being towed with a single bar requires a lot of concentration to keep the truck aligned for braking. The only nervous time was when it began to rain heavily and we were approaching a set of lights changing to red. I couldn't see much beyond the back of the GMC other than blurry lights so I just focussed on the tailgate and made sure I didn't pass it.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 27-12-03, 21:47
Film maker, CMP addict

Default New baby is running again

Thanks to a can of "Start, you bastard" the 2F Toyota engine has leapt into life again and with freshly bled brakes the truck has made a brief run (not on a public road of course). It pulls well with 135 BHP but the brakes are a worry - rather spongy and losing pedal rapidly - according to the manual this can be caused by a distorted relief valve washer - I'll have to pull it apart and have a look. Can anyone tell me a modern (Australian) master cylinder kit number?

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 28-12-03, 16:54
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Brake parts

Keith

The master cyl kit I bought for the C8 , some 8 odd years back , was made in India . It had new seals and a new piston . The local brake place in Warragul sold it .

Places like PBR are not as helpful as they were pre 1990 . PBR decided to stop stocking many of the older kits and parts . I recall in the 70's , you could buy brake parts for most old cars at PBR, but those days are gone .

The chev kit should be fairly easy to find , just tell them the bore size and piston length .

Mike .
Old 29-12-03, 02:06
Film maker, CMP addict

Default An update

Have adjusted the brakes at the backing plates and they perform much better although not as well as they should.
Difficult starting has been traced to the manifold sucking air from a perished breather hose. It works much better now, and this could also have something to do with the excessive effort needed on the pedal to stop it.
Next task it to fit the rear lights and mudflaps, then to give it a good high pressure wash.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 14-01-04, 12:53
The Original CMP Site!

Default Re: The new baby

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
I hope to fire up it's Land Cruiser engine this afternoon. It's mated to the original gearbox.
Hi Keith
How does the Toyota engine mate up to the bell housing? Does it use an adaptor plate or is it a bolt up job? Any idea on what clutch plate and pressure plate is used?

Any chance of a pic of this area?

Cheers
Rod Diery
Old 14-01-04, 21:09
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Bell housing

Hi Rod
The Chev gearbox bolts onto the Tojo bellhousing although Richard said he had to make some new holes to fit it. I'll ask him which clutch he used.
The truck in this configuration drives well and has rather more power and torque than the original. Being a medium wheel base it rides more smoothly than a SWB and feels good on the road.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 16-01-04, 08:45
The Original CMP Site!

Default Re: Bell housing

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Hi Rod
The Chev gearbox bolts onto the Tojo bellhousing although Richard said he had to make some new holes to fit it. I'll ask him which clutch he used.
The truck in this configuration drives well and has rather more power and torque than the original. Being a medium wheel base it rides more smoothly than a SWB and feels good on the road.
Thanks keith, I have been wondering for a while whether a 2F would bolt up to a Blitz gearbox. They look close.

Cheers
Rod
Old 16-01-04, 23:44

Interesting, there is a couple of CMP's around here, some without engines. would a Landcruiser B series deiesel fit without to much "fitting" ? Might make an interesting project after I finish my 109.