MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 28-10-06, 07:01

Default Lance-Corporal In A Tank Crew?

Hello all!

I have an interesting question and observation that I hope someone among y'all can explain. I have seen a few pictures in books that appear to show a Lance-Corporal as part of a tank crew, during WWII in British and Canadian tanks. Now, I find this very strange indeed because I thought that a Lance-Corporal was only found as the Section Second In Command in an Infantry Section. Am I incorrect in this? Was there a chance for a Lance-Corporal in a Tank Crew?

Cheers,

Wolfkin
AKA
Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada
Old 28-10-06, 11:41
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Lance-Corporal In A Tank Crew?

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfkin
Hello all!

I have an interesting question and observation that I hope someone among y'all can explain. I have seen a few pictures in books that appear to show a Lance-Corporal as part of a tank crew, during WWII in British and Canadian tanks. Now, I find this very strange indeed because I thought that a Lance-Corporal was only found as the Section Second In Command in an Infantry Section. Am I incorrect in this? Was there a chance for a Lance-Corporal in a Tank Crew?

Cheers,

Wolfkin
AKA
Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada

During the war the rank of Lance-Corporal, Lance-Bombardier, et al was an appointment given by a commanding officer to a deserving Private. As an appointment, the C.O. or R.S.M. could also take it away as a punishment, without having to convene a Courts-Martial. Yes, a Lance-Corporal in the Infantry was often in charge of a rifle section, but other branches also used this rank. I know for a fact that Artillery, Signals, and Transport also used this rank, so it wouldn't have been too much of a stretch to see a Lance-Jack in the Armoured Corps.
Canada did away with this rank in the '60s and Privates (Untrained) received a single stripe to become Privates (Trained) after their QL3, if memory serves me right.
The USMC still uses this rank.

CHIMO!
Old 29-10-06, 08:19
Proud Grandson of a Roo!

On an off note, my Grandfather who was a trooper during the war, was quite offended when I, after receiving my chevron "stripe" in transport company was still called a private.

He thought that a private who had his trade training should receive some recognition.

He was quite proud when I had attained this stripe and referred to me as a lance corporal.

My 2 cents.

Old 29-10-06, 14:57
M38A1 CDN3

I had a similar experience.

I was on the Supplementary Reserve List during the "unification" phase of the CF.

I left when a one hooker in battledress was called "Corporal"...when I got back in I embarrassed the Hell out of myself by referring to one hookers in Work Dress as "Corporal".

Even two hooks today only indicates time in.
Old 29-10-06, 20:38
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld

Even two hooks today only indicates time in.

Not so today. Corporal rank isn't just a function of time in, one also has to successfully pass their trade's training and achieve their "fives" (QL 5) Although I can only relate my personal experience as an Airfield Engineer, I didn't receive my second stripe until I had finished my fives. Luckily, I was able to squeeze through Chilliwack in the nick of time before they moved the Engineer's School to Gagetown. I know several Airfield Engineers who's promotion was held up by the delay in re-establishing the school. Once you've achieved Corporal rank, pay raises are automatic each year from Cpl 1 through Cpl 4 at which time you top out. The next jump in rank and pay is Master Corporal, but you can't permanently receive that promotion until you've completed the JLC (Junior Leadership Course). We had two "acting" MCpls in our unit who hadn't attended either a JLC or CLC (one was Army and part of our E.O.D. section), but they were the CO's pets.

CHIMO!
Old 01-11-06, 17:37

Hello!

Thank you Derek, Jason and Jon for your replies! I see now and understand Lance-Corporal a lot better. I always thought that Lance-Corporal was an assignment that was only given to a Section 2ic in the Infantry. Now I see that Lance-Corporal was an assignment given to a deserving soldier and that it is just a coincidence that a Lance-Corporal was also used as a Section 2ic in the Infantry. Thank you again!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
AKA
Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada
Old 02-11-06, 01:38
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Not so today. Corporal rank isn't just a function of time in, one also has to successfully pass their trade's training and achieve their "fives" (QL 5) Although I can only relate my personal experience as an Airfield Engineer, I didn't receive my second stripe until I had finished my fives. Luckily, I was able to squeeze through Chilliwack in the nick of time before they moved the Engineer's School to Gagetown. I know several Airfield Engineers who's promotion was held up by the delay in re-establishing the school. Once you've achieved Corporal rank, pay raises are automatic each year from Cpl 1 through Cpl 4 at which time you top out. The next jump in rank and pay is Master Corporal, but you can't permanently receive that promotion until you've completed the JLC (Junior Leadership Course). We had two "acting" MCpls in our unit who hadn't attended either a JLC or CLC (one was Army and part of our E.O.D. section), but they were the CO's pets.

OK, Derek...I stand corrected.

Aren't QL5s the same as the old TQ2s?

CHIMO!