MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 01-06-10, 01:48

Default My m38a1

Here are some pictures of my m38a1 restoration in progress. just waiting on the arrival of body parts.

this is before...

Old 01-06-10, 01:52

Hi Mitchell,
Nice work what do you use for paint? i like the color
Old 01-06-10, 02:03

I used that semi-gloss olive drab stuff from willys acres. This is my first restoration and it's pretty addicting and i'm only 20 years old. i see a few more military vehicles in my future
Old 01-06-10, 02:39
carrier mech

It appears to be a Cdn 2, but is that one of the old 25 amp generators on it? Or is it a 100 amp conversion? I've never seen anything but the standard 60 amp alternator on these.

Nice clean jeep. Frame up really is the way to go.
Old 01-06-10, 03:19

It says it is a 25 amp generator on the tag. The data plate on the tub says it is an m38a1 cdn3 but from what i understand didn't the cdn3's have an alternator? There is a tag saying the engine was rebuilt in around 1984 or about there in Quebec so maybe the engine was swapped?? maybe someone can enlighten me?
Old 01-06-10, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
The data plate on the tub says it is an m38a1 cdn3
Hi Mitchell,
If you jeep is a CDN3 you will have to paint it flat green with camouflage patt on it to be more has the original.
Old 01-06-10, 14:37
carrier mech

It is hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like a Cdn 2. Here are a couple things to look for: Cdn 3 had one piece rear axle shafts with no hub caps or nut on the end of the axle. Mind you, axles could be swapped out in service, although it required changing the U bolts as well as the axles were a different diameter.

Also, a Cdn2 had hood hinges that were slotted to allow the hood to be removed when it was opened to a certain angle. On a Cdn3 you would have to remove the hinges (or one of them at least) to remove the hood. Also a Cdn3 had the seat belt mounting point re-enforcement washers welded in place as part of the tub, Cdn 2 were loose. Also, a Cdn3 frame would have the frame boxed for about 6 inches just over the rear springs front pivot point. The Cdn2 tended to crack their frames in this area.

When the Jeeps were sold, occasionally guys would swap the data plates putting the Cdn2r plates onto the Cdn3 jeeps so they could import them into the US. It was something about the age of the vehicle at the time. As well, as with all military vehicles, guys just liked to scam the data plates as souvenirs. Does the serial number on the data plate match the serial number behind the passenger seat?

The generator should be a 60 amp alternator. Someone may have made the change as they could not find the correct 60 amp alt post service. The 25 amp generators were not installed on the Cdn2 or Cdn3. The mounting brackets were still on the frames, even on the Cdn3. The engines were usually rebuilt by Bennet and Hansen around that time period, and came with the 60 amp alt attached.

With regard to paint, you can go either with the semi gloss if you are going for the early 70s look, or you can go with the cam pattern if you are aiming for the late 70s/early 80s. There was still the odd one not cammed in the 80s, but these were the exception.
Old 01-06-10, 16:25

thanks rob love. there was no passenger seat when i received the jeep or is it on the tub where the seat would have been? Also is there a website i can find out what year the engine is by serial number? thanks
Old 01-06-10, 18:43
carrier mech

The serial number should have been on the tub behind the passenger seat. There should be a couple holes about 3/4 the way up onto the wheel well where it faces the seat back.

You can try a serial number query over on the G503 site, or else on Wes Knettle's jeep site http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/ (I think he collects data like that). The engine will not be the same one your Jeep came with, we got a rebuilt unit in a crate and swapped them out. It was possible that some of the earlier engines would have been converted to the later jeeps with the extra pulleys, alternator, and a few other minor changes. Most Jeep engines only lasted 25,000 to 35,000 miles before they were replaced. They were by no means a modern engine, tracing their mechanical and design heritage back to the 30s and early 40s.