MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 29-12-07, 17:52

Default Wheels Cylinder For Inter M2-4

Hi
I have a friend who is ending the restoration of an INTERNATIONAL M2-4 truck (pic follows) in France. Unhappyly the front wheels cylinders for brake and the master brake cylinder are missing. Is a guy who knows the place (anywhere in the world) where these parts are avaible. Thank to any body for informations.
Regards Serge LEVY
Old 29-12-07, 17:57

I had a pic too large for email
Attached Thumbnails
img_3241.jpg  
Old 02-01-08, 17:32

Default Bonjour Serge

A very nice truck BUT parts may be very hard to find.

It is possible that the wheel cylinders and master cylinders are the same as thwe civilian KB International series. You will need manuals to identify the part numbers and search the civilain market.

EBay shows manuals at #360006790651 and a 1941 to 1970+ master cylinder at # 320151593875

Alex....... do you have the military manuals for the M2-4..?

I am sure that the parts are available if you could find the casting number..... but you need the parts for that....... or someone who has one restored.

Good Luck.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 02-01-08, 19:03

Default Brake parts

Hi

I thank you very much for your answer

Of course these kind of truck is very rare in EUROPA. In France it is the second that I have see. The first is in running state and was on the COMMEMORATION of LANDING in NORMADY in 1984.
Our truck was used for radio because it owns an enormeous générator.
These brake parts are the only parts missing and then it will be able to "take the road"

Regards Serge LEVY
Old 02-01-08, 21:57
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Bonjour Serge

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
A very nice truck BUT parts may be very hard to find.

It is possible that the wheel cylinders and master cylinders are the same as thwe civilian KB International series. You will need manuals to identify the part numbers and search the civilain market.

EBay shows manuals at #360006790651 and a 1941 to 1970+ master cylinder at # 320151593875

Alex....... do you have the military manuals for the M2-4..?

I am sure that the parts are available if you could find the casting number..... but you need the parts for that....... or someone who has one restored.

Good Luck.

Bob C.
Bob.
I have the parts manual for the civilian K and KB series International ..The wheel cylinders and brake parts will be the same///..and the numbers will still be good or the dealer will have the cross ref. number..

And probably on the shelf at any ,or most International dealers..

#77: 620 pages MT-205 INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS, MODEL K1-K5, PARTS CATALOGUE (Includes KB-1 - KB-5). ILLUSTRATED. CDN.
Old 02-01-08, 22:42

There is at least one International here in Holland. Unfortunately I don't know the owner, maybe someone else does..and knows if he might be able to help with the cilinder?
pictures taken in Neede 2007. I should have some better pics of the truck somewhere.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
p1010149-p.jpg  
Old 03-01-08, 02:43

Default A long shot.......

Looking back at the pictures......

....with the headlights very similar to the Dodge and the rims apparently identical to the Dodge WC battlefield rims......

.....is it possible the same source supplied the Dodge and M2-4 front axle as on a WC......?????

Alex can you supply the parts number so I can check with Malrmberg.

Boob
Canada
Old 03-01-08, 04:37

Default Are you 100% sure the truck is a M-2-4?

The photo of the M-2-4 (possibly a prototype) in Fred Crismon's "US Military Wheeled Vehicles" shows 6 stud rims that look more commercial/civilian than the combat/split rims in Serge's photo above. The caption for the photo in the book includes "The one-ton was nearly identical to International's half-ton M-1-4 except for lower rated suspension and five-stud wheels on the lighter models".

Is there any chance the cab and data plates are from a different truck than the axles due to a rebuild or mix and match repairs over the years? This might mean you need to be looking for parts to fit a M-1-4 instead of a M-2-4. I have no hands-on knowledge of the International trucks, so this is only a guess.
Old 03-01-08, 05:03

Default Check both pictures....

Grant... if you check both Serge's truck and the one posted by Alex are both fine stud rims...... that would make both 1/2 tons.

I would even gamble that the front shocks are the same as the Delco used on the cab 11 Chev and early Dodge WC......

BooB
Canada
Old 03-01-08, 06:38

Default M2-4 battlefield rims

About the battlefield rims of M2-4, I believe that the first series used wheels of DODGE 1/2 ton and later they were replaced by wheels of DODGE 3/4 ton.
I think that this truck is very particular in the fact that it has been built using parts from differents trucks. So, the frame is very weak and the axle are too heavy for the frame. These leads to exessive torsion on the frame.
I have found a third M2-4 restored in France with the green jungle
like M2-4 used in Pacific.

Regards Serge
Attached Thumbnails
m2_4alain.jpg  
Old 03-01-08, 09:03

Here are some other pics of the same Dutch example at an an event in early 2007.
Attached Thumbnails
p1010252c.jpg  
Old 03-01-08, 09:03

-
Attached Thumbnails
p1010246c.jpg  
Old 03-01-08, 09:04

--
Attached Thumbnails
p1010247c.jpg  
Old 03-01-08, 09:04

Last one for now.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
p1010249c.jpg  
Old 03-01-08, 14:39

Default Re: Check both pictures....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
Grant... if you check both Serge's truck and the one posted by Alex are both fine stud rims...... that would make both 1/2 tons.
That was my point, the M-2-4 is the one ton version and according to the Crismon book should have six stud rims. Serge's truck (and the Netherlands truck) has five stud rims and based only on the axles should be a half ton, M-1-4. I am still puzzled. I do like your idea of checking Malmberg if we can get part numbers.
Old 03-01-08, 19:59

Default Wheels used on M2-4

When searching on the web for pictures of M2-4, we see that most of them use wheels of DODGE serie 3/4 ton. Nevertheless I have found a pic of an M2-4 (I presume) using wheels of the first model.
I suppose that this truck is in USA

Best regards to every one Serge
Old 03-01-08, 20:01

Default wheels of M2-4

I forgot the picture
Attached Thumbnails
ihc%20m2-4%20001.jpg  
Old 03-01-08, 20:44

Default Pictures can be misleading...

Bonjour Serge

I did a quick search on Olive Drab..... they show pictures of the M 1 and the M 2 -4 and both ALSO have 5 bolt rims.....

Serge in your latest picture.... they might be the regular M 37 Dodge rims which came after the heavy battlefield rims.

Dodge did have a 5 bolt rim (non-battlefield) I believe referred to as a Budd rim... with a clinch ring. .... and to further confuse things the same bolt pattern rims were used as a narrow rim model for the half ton 4x4 Dodge using 7:50x16 tires.....from the side it is very difficult to see the difference between a 9:00x16 Dodge rim and a 7:50 Dodge rim.....

Any chance of getting some close up pictures of the front axle..? such details as the flex joint steering hub..... center axle back side and front cover... and maybe the rear axle.......

You may have a hybrid in your hands..... it can still be made to look good and serviceable......

Bob C.
Canada
Old 04-01-08, 12:06

Default Pic of front axle

Hello Bob

I send you a pic of the front axle and really I think that wheels and all other parts are original. I found other pics of M2-4 (all in USA) and all have the same wheels

Best regards Serge
Attached Thumbnails
img_3274.jpg  
Old 04-01-08, 14:03

Default That settles it......

.... it NOT a Dodge axle........

Now we are back at finding a parts manual......

Bob
Canada
Old 05-01-08, 21:10

Default International M-2-4,s

I have told Serge that he can obtain most of the parts that he needs from Outback Parts,Spokane WA.We have 3 M2,s here in the UK the first one we bought in order to fill a 40ft container when we shipped our Ford GTB's back from Arizona.I was then offered another one from a friend in the UK which came from Texas by way of Sweden and the third which had a K1 closed cab fitted came from Montana.All three have very interesting differences about them.The first one has the registration number 1351 DOD 24th August 1942,this is one of the first 2,000 built it differs from the later ones in that it has a 6 volt system different brushgaurd and a Tulsa winch.I beleive that these early ones were fitted with the 1/2 ton Dodge wheels and possibly had doubles on the rear axle.The front engine mounting beam is also different because the crank pulley was a single one whereas the later 12 volt ones had a double pulley due to the massive generator which was fitted to them.According to my parts book 514 of them did not have a winch fitted which can make them being confused with the M1.I have been told that the only sure way to tell them from a M1 is that the M2 has an extra strenghthener on the front of the rear fender. Tony