MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 02-09-09, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpearce View Post
Hi Tony, you are welcome to it but at that price you get to unbolt it while I watch and learn It will be good to double the number of MLUers that have visited here and you can study Keith's blitz as well. I'll have the FEL ready for the lifting
PS bring Howard along and we wont need the FEL
Now if I come as well do I get to take Keiths Blitz back home to Queensland with me?

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 02-09-09, 23:02
WO8 C15A 142736

G'day Cliff,
One question, wich is faster? A mobility scooter towing a F60L or Keeth on foot loading a shotgun.
Old 02-09-09, 23:33

Talking

Quote:
G'day Cliff,
One question, wich is faster? A mobility scooter towing a F60L or Keeth on foot loading a shotgun.
Well the history and value of the F60L would increase with some 'Authentic' Wartime bullet holes in it but we just need to not tell folk it was WW3.5 and not WW2 bullet holes.

But Robert I thought your place was high on a hill? So I could see myself sitting on the back of the F60L like Granny Clampett from the Bevely Hillbilly's speeding away from Keithy downhill

Mind you when I run out of downhill bits and Keithy caught up I could expect some

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 05-09-09, 01:10
Pops

Tony I have made arrangements to go blitz hunting today
taking Kathy incase she wants one .

Max
Old 05-09-09, 01:16

Default Hope you bag one Max!

Sounds great Max, sorry I can't go with you.

Have fun - hope the truck's in some sort of order. Just not too good to strip!
Old 30-09-09, 11:27
WO8 C15A 142736

Tony find where this picture was taken and the trinket on the bull bar is yours
Attached Thumbnails
P9300189 (Small).JPG  
Old 01-10-09, 02:06

Default I think Ive got it

My guess Robert is its Yaven Creek near Adelong. Will visit soon!!!
Old 17-12-09, 11:30

Default About time for overdue update

Gday all,

About time I got stuck back into it. In the theme of the honourable RH Clarke (Mr Hup) "Ive got some time & even a couple of dollars".

Ive finally got the brakes in the beast - thanks to my good mate H for helping me bleed them up.

Of course initial pressing of the brake pedal caused the brake system to turn into an attractive water feature until we tightened everything up.

Remaining Handbrake & transfer case components have been found - thanks to Mighty Max Hedges and a Neville Gillete an old Cocky from out Ardlethan way.

Some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Brakes 018.jpg   Brakes 016.jpg   Brakes 017.jpg  
Old 17-12-09, 11:36

Default More pictures

Man! I just realised - the bloody thing looks really dusty.

Its not as bad as it looks - honestly

Anyway some more pictures.

By the way - isnt the fuel tap a thing of beauty - brass and copper do look fantastic when they're given bit of a spit n' shine.
Attached Thumbnails
Handbrake & transfer bits 011.jpg   Front shocks 012.jpg   Fuel Tap 019.jpg  
Old 18-12-09, 12:27

Default More progress

Howdy all,

Handbrake is in! I freed up the return spring in the top of the Handle but it is sticking again (I am surprised after the very liberal coating of grease I gave it!)

Anyway I'm sure it will free up completely with a bit of use.

One fuel tank is hooked up - some will notice Ive used rubber fuel line. Thats because Ive installed put some inline fuel filters. The plan is to make sure the remaining samll amount of crap I suspect is still in the tanks is well and truly gone before setting the lines up to original spec.
Attached Thumbnails
Handbrake 001.jpg   Fuel lines & tap 006.jpg  
Old 18-12-09, 12:43

Default More progress

Found some screw head countersunk bolts for the floor. They arent quite the same diameter as the originals but very close (slightly smaller) they are also not high tensile. The only high tensile ones I could get had an allen key head.

We'll see how they go.

Just as I was getting some momentum & starting to fit the seat runners, Ive discovered the timber has shrunk or warped or something. Because the holes don't line up with the floor

Ill be able to drill them out a bit I think as long as the edges dont split. If they do, I really will chuck a wobbly.........

The main thing that really makes you feel like your progressing at the rate of an asthmatic ant with a heavy load of shopping. Is cleaning up old bolts. Its certainly worth doing, but brother!! is it tedious......

The only thing that keeps you awake is when one gets sucked into the wire wheel, then fired out with an almighty bang to some random location in the shed.

You spend the next 10 minutes on your hands and knees looking for the bloody thing, then proceed to repeat the process once you get back to the wire wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Floor & seat runners 005.jpg   Seat runner bolts 004.jpg  
Old 18-12-09, 19:19

Default Large countersunk screws available......

The large countersunk screws are readily available in Canada from Spanauer in Toronto...... in various size and various length....... and like the original on our cab11/12 they are not high tensile strength and could be better categorized as plain old fashion stove bolts. We have to remember that most body/sheet metal bolts on the cab 11/12 are of that same quality /category ....plentiful old stock item at the outset of the war.... and trucks were not intended to last for 69+ years.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 18-12-09, 21:52

Default Spanauer - French for spanner???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
The large countersunk screws are readily available in Canada from Spanauer in Toronto...... in various size and various length....... and like the original on our cab11/12 they are not high tensile strength and could be better categorized as plain old fashion stove bolts. We have to remember that most body/sheet metal bolts on the cab 11/12 are of that same quality /category ....plentiful old stock item at the outset of the war.... and trucks were not intended to last for 69+ years.

Bob C.
Is Toronto that place down the road from Grong Grong? Or is it closer to Wagga Wagga?

Get back to me on that one will you Bob?
Old 18-12-09, 22:00
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony View Post
Is Toronto that place down the road from Grong Grong? Or is it closer to Wagga Wagga?

Get back to me on that one will you Bob?
I think I remember going to see Jif there once - it's closer to Ardlethan I believe. V. cool in winter.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 19-12-09, 03:08

Default Spelled it wrong...

Tryhttp://www.spaenaur.com/.....

Waga Waga Grong Grong....???? what were you drinking when you where visiting with Jiff....... you guys better find some shade..... all that Hoostralian sunshine is bad for you......

..... you should be sampling some clean clear friggen cold Ottawa air Minus 25 Celsius tonite.... not as bad as Edmonton last week when they went down to Minus 45 Celsius..... that is actually 3 degrees colder than my mother-in-law's heart.....

The cats in the shed have 3 x250W heat lamps and two x1500W heaters...just to keep 9+ or 10 degrees C in there.

Boob
Canada
Old 19-12-09, 03:34
David Pope

Tony, when I want to clean up a bunch of old bolts I throw them in a large kitchen type screen strainer and hit them with the sandblaster. Keep shaking them up and sandblasting for a while and they come out bright and shiny. Doesn't seem to bother the threads either.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 19-12-09, 03:34
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Minus 25C?

Grong Grong and Wagga are the opposite at the moment - PLUS 27C. Good CMP hunting weather.

Quote:

Waga Waga Grong Grong....???? what were you drinking when you where visiting with Jiff....... you guys better find some shade..... all that Hoostralian sunshine is bad for you......

..... you should be sampling some clean clear friggen cold Ottawa air Minus 25 Celsius tonite.... not as bad as Edmonton last week when they went down to Minus 45 Celsius..... that is actually 3 degrees colder than my mother-in-law's heart.....

The cats in the shed have 3 x250W heat lamps and two x1500W heaters...just to keep 9+ or 10 degrees C in there.

Boob

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 19-12-09, 03:42

Default Mother in laws heart

Quote:

I know I'm stating the obvious Bob but we just dont get that sort of weather over here. "Holy #@%*!!..... that's cold!!!"

Unless we're standing on the top of Perisher in the middle of winter.

Still looking for Toronto - I think it may be between Mangoplah & Gumly Gumly.
Old 19-12-09, 09:00
WO8 C15A 142736

Tony I managed to get all the screws and bolts I needed at coventry fastenings, Wagga Wagga, the only thing they couldn't match was the square nuts so I have verry few captive nuts left on the cab. Fortunately I have a 14 year old who was flexable enough to get a spanner onto the hard to reach nuts.
Old 20-12-09, 10:09

Default Uh Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Grong Grong and Wagga are the opposite at the moment - PLUS 27C. Good CMP hunting weather.
Thats not coded Mexican for a border raid is it????
Old 20-12-09, 10:14

Default Thanks David

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
Tony, when I want to clean up a bunch of old bolts I throw them in a large kitchen type screen strainer and hit them with the sandblaster. Keep shaking them up and sandblasting for a while and they come out bright and shiny. Doesn't seem to bother the threads either.
David I'm honoured you've visited this thread.

Great suggestion & interesting how it doesnt affect the threads. My problem is access to a sandblaster and a suitable area to blast (meaning somewhere where you can either make a great big mess or suitable stuff to retrieve the sand/shot).

I am having a blast however.
Old 20-12-09, 10:23

Wink Great place that Coventry

Quote:
Tony I managed to get all the screws and bolts I needed at coventry fastenings, Wagga Wagga, the only thing they couldn't match was the square nuts so I have verry few captive nuts left on the cab. Fortunately I have a 14 year old who was flexable enough to get a spanner onto the hard to reach nuts.
Only thing is Robert youve got to get the right bloke to help you. There's one bloke who rolls his eyes every time you go in there trying to get unusual bolts matched up.

Have had sufficient practice on modern Volvo cars to have rubbery wrists and forearms to get hands into the right places as well (on blitzes that is).

Mind you I havent ruled out cheap child labour either
Old 20-12-09, 10:37

Default And a few more

Just thought I'd throw these in as well.

First pic is just me looking back on several months of work with satisfaction. I always dreamt this vehicle would look like this someday when I was pulling it out of the paddock. So it's great to sit back occasionally to review progress made to date to fire you up for the next step.

What made sitting there not as pleasant as I would have liked was a little Staffordshire terrier running into the shed and spewing on the floor. This was followed by the Staffy's overweight, Blue Heeler buddy coming in and proceeding to eat the aforesaid puke.

Hence the second photo
Attached Thumbnails
Underside 007.jpg   Dog puke 003.jpg  
Old 20-12-09, 10:53
WO8 C15A 142736

Quote:
Only thing is Robert youve got to get the right bloke to help you. There's one bloke who rolls his eyes every time you go in there trying to get unusual bolts matched up.

Mind you I havent ruled out cheap child labour either
I must have been lucky as I struck a bloke ready for a yarn about restoring vehicles every time although his taste was for much younger and faster vehicles than our likeing

Syd should be old enough to borrow by now and you can give him back before pay day.

It's a great feeling knowing you are breathing new life into history indeed you are doing a great job.

Last edited by hrpearce; 20-12-09 at 10:58.
Old 20-12-09, 10:57
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Border raid?

Quote:
Thats not coded Mexican for a border raid is it????
Mwahhh-hah-hah-hahhhh....

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 20-12-09, 11:06

Default I bloody knew it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Mwahhh-hah-hah-hahhhh....
That laugh just reverberated all the way down the Murray.

Sends a ominous chill down my spine
Old 20-12-09, 11:10

Default Thanks Robert

Quote:
I must have been lucky as I struck a bloke ready for a yarn about restoring vehicles every time although his taste was for much younger and faster vehicles than our likeing
Find out his name if you're in there & I'll ask for him in the future

Appreciate the encouragement and help Robert
Old 21-12-09, 04:42

Default The offenders

Drivers seat in today.

Have installed the tranfer case 2WD/4WD rod that runs along underneath the gearbox but the rod that slides into the tras case itself is sticking - more on that later.

Here they are - the barfer & the cleaner upper.
Attached Thumbnails
Drivers seat 007.jpg   Tiffany 005.jpg   Shandy 006.jpg  
Old 22-12-09, 05:09

Default Shift Problems

Have fitted the 2WD/4WD trans case rod and connected it to the transfer case but the shift is very stiff. Removed the detent load screw completely on the trans case shift is better but still very stiff.

Can be moved by assistance of a pry bar and taps with the hammer. It is improving but still cant move it with the tower shift. Think it just needs some oil and time........

Now my bloody gearbox wont shift at all!!!! What the heck is going on????
Attached Thumbnails
2WD4WD Rod 001.jpg  
Old 24-01-10, 02:43

Default 12 hour days for 7 days

Gday All,

Just a few progress shots - Actually, it doesnt look like a loy of progress has been made but a lot of fiddly, niggling jobs have been done and as a result I have another list of fiddly, niggling jobs that have arisin.

Drilled out old broken bolts and tapped the threads of all exisiting holes in windscreen. Picked out bolts that are almost identical to the originals, in all positions. Very pleased with result. Slid apart the top of windscreen frame to wire wheel and grease. Works beautifully.
Attached Thumbnails
Tapping Windscreen frame Holes.jpg   Timber for top of Windscreen.jpg   Timber & Top of Windscreen on!.jpg