MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-02-19, 02:10
VMVC

Default Removing transfer cases with a lifting table

Good Day,

Thought I might revive this thread with a recent operation- removing a F15-A transfer case from the chassis using a lifting table.

I bought a lifting table from Hare and Forbes last year and have used it for lifting and working on other heavy objects in the workshop. Although not essential for vehicle restoration it still is a handy item to have around. I put it to good use again two days ago to remove a transfer case from a F15-A. They are heavy items and the dual range transfer cases are even heavier.

I had to use it on grass but we haven't had rain for a while so the earth was fairly solid for the castors to roll on. If they had bogged I had a sheet of plywood on hand as a mat to roll it across. Would have preferred to do it on a solid garage floor but no space was available.

Once the table was fully lowered I lowered the left side of the case to the table to clear the chassis for extraction. I jury rigged the support for it but will make a more finished holding bracket for further lifting or removing operations.

The retaining bolts were very much wasted under the heads so I heated them with the oxy dull red then let them cool down. They backed out easily after that but beforehand they would not budge without the risk of snapping off.

Might add an oxy-acetylene set as another required tool for restoration!

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0229.JPG (454.1 KB, 3 views)

Jacques Reed