MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 31-05-21, 16:18

Default The Artillery at ANZAC - book review

A new book has recently been released titled 'The Artillery at ANZAC - Adaptation, Innovation and Education'. It was written by Chris Roberts and Paul Stevens, both retired senior officers with a wealth of military experience between them. I'll declare up front that I know both authors. I worked with Chris Roberts on the AWM's Long Tan Gallery short film about the battle, and Paul Stevens has written the Foreword to my book on the 25-pdr. I also provided some technical information for 'The Artillery at ANZAC'.

Their book is a fresh and detailed examination of the artillery deployed within the ANZAC perimeter. It takes the reader step by step through the state of Australian artillery before the campaign, then chronologically works through each month of the campaign, concluding with the success of the evacuation, where the majority of the artillery was withdrawn without the Ottomans realizing. Difficulties with terrain, the weapon types and how appropriate each was to the situation, ammunition types and supply problems, levels of training, communications, the performance of the commanders, and Naval gunfire support are all examined in detail, while still keeping the reader informed of the overall tactical situation. A series of colour maps and annotated modern images of the battlefield greatly help and tie into the narrative well.

I thought I had a pretty reasonable grasp of most aspects of the ANZAC invasion of the Gallipoli Peninsula, but I certainly learned a lot more from reading this book. One aspect examined in detail is the artillery support provided for the Battle of the Nek - and the long-held belief that there was a 7-minute hiatus between the cessation of the artillery barrage and the charge of the Light Horse. I won't steal their thunder - you'll have to read the analysis for yourselves - which is compelling.

Ten chapters, seven appendices, six extensive tables of data, in 361 B4-sized pages. Hardback, ISBN 9781922387936. Published by Bigsky Publishing under the auspices of the Australian Army History Unit. RRP $34.99AUD. Highly recommended to everyone with more than a passing interest in the First World War and in artillery in particular.

Mike