MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up

Notices

Old 25-04-12, 02:22

Default FAT artillery plotting board

Missed out on this 29 3/4 inch plotting table, should fit in the top drawer in the Fat cab? Anybody here purchase this one? Walde?... Next time...cheers Rob

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/300697088386?...84.m1423.l2649
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 25-04-12, 03:08

I have no idea if they still have them but a while back Prefair had some plotting boards. Rob Clarke bought one and inspected the others with an artillery eye. He may be able to give a better idea of condition and completeness than I can. Of course, it only matters if the boards are still there.
Old 25-04-12, 03:08

Old 25-04-12, 03:42
Mr. HUP

Default Prefair Montreal Plotting Boards

The boards at Prefair do not have any of the attachments - no range arms, pins, pivots or protractors. They are in fair to good shape, and they sell for $15.00 (last year) each. I am hoping to stumble upon the attachments in the future.
Old 25-04-12, 04:22
carrier mech

I bought a few about 3 years ago from prefair, and managed to get attachments with some of them. The owner was trying to get me to buy the whole pile for $100, but I find that the few guys who collect artillery stuff really want it, but the majority of guys you couldn't give the stuff to.
Old 25-04-12, 05:09
GM Fox I

Rob, do you know where I could find a decent canvas bag for one of these? I have one (with all the bits) but the web bag is spotty.
Old 25-04-12, 06:17
carrier mech

Prefair is the only place I have seen them.
Old 25-04-12, 18:09

Default Plotting Board

I have been looking for this one for 3 years now, none to be had. Looks like we could use 2 for the 2 western cab 13 FAT's.

Walde
Attached Thumbnails
CGT%20interior%20accesorries%20005%20demensions.jpg  
Old 25-04-12, 19:20

Hey Waldy! Look up after I bring your truck back from Fort Rodd Hill!
Old 27-04-12, 03:25
Brian Asbury

Default Plotting boards

When they cleaned out number one supply depot in Downsview, Ontario over 10 years ago there was a batch of plotting boards sold at auction. Some were in ww2 khaki bags and some in later olive drab bags. Unfortunately all the bags were marked with magic marker with unit markings. Also there was a wide range of dates on the rulers and other implements. So watch out for the desirable dates on the components.
There were tripods to support the boards (a fitting for the tripods is on the lower side) but I have never seen a correct tripod.
..... Brian
Old 27-04-12, 05:34

Default Two sizes...

The one I own is a Prefair purchase and it is 30 3/4 inches. There is just no way I am going to jam that one into the FAT. Cheers Rob
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 27-04-12, 12:05

Default arty board

My aussie stand may be different but here it is. Dad recalls they had both boards in the Middle East while they had 4.5s, 18Pr then 25Prs but only big boards on return to Aus and N.G.
Attached Thumbnails
director 049.jpg   director 051.jpg   director 053.jpg   odamc 064.jpg   odamc 066.jpg  

Old 27-04-12, 18:18

Default plotting board

I got several of these plotting boards , but they don`t fit in the 13 cab FAT, so don`t worry that you missed it.
Old 28-04-12, 12:31

I have 2 complete plotting boards..no idea what they fit..so they are sitting in the basement..and are for sale..yo big to take to the shows.
Old 28-04-12, 15:00
Mr. HUP

Default Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean (Ajax) View Post
I have 2 complete plotting boards..no idea what they fit..so they are sitting in the basement..and are for sale..yo big to take to the shows.
Dean, Does that include the stands?
Old 28-04-12, 22:14
David Pope

Dean,
I'm looking for one like this. If that's what yours is like, what do you what for one? There's a bracket in the C8's box to hold it.
Attached Thumbnails
radio truck in desert.jpg  
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 28-04-12, 22:26

I have no stands for mine..never knew they used them.

If anyone wnats a photo of them...email me at
northman@rogers.com

Dean
Old 07-05-12, 21:07
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Arty Boards in a Gun Tractor

Hi Guys:

I'm having trouble figuring out the circumstances where an arty board would be carried in a gun tractor.

At the risk of being a little pedantic, the Gun Detachment Commander is busy enough commanding his gun... I don't think he would also be expected to do the TARA's (Technical Assistant, Royal Artillery- now shortened to Arty Tech or just Tech) job of plotting the gun position, the observer (Observation Party or OP) and the target and then doing the mathematics involved in spinning a plotting device.

There are three main parts to the indirect fire problem- the target, the observer and the guns. These form a triangle on the ground that has to be solved in order for the guns to hit something they cannot see. The guns are surveyed in and the OP sends his location as an accurate map spot to the command post (CP) at the guns. They now have two parts of the triangle solved. The OP can then send the target information as a grid reference or as a bearing and distance from his location. In either case you now have three parts of the triangle and can solve any other part with a bit of math. All this is done on the plotting boards in the CP. The guns don't actually do any plotting themselves. Added to the CP's work are the calculations for meteorology, curvature of the earth, spin of the earth, weight of the projectiles and any obstacles like mountains between the guns and the target. The description of the target will also influence the ammunition selected if not specified by the OP. These all result in a series of orders to the guns which include the ammunition, the charge of powder, the bearing to lay on, the elevation or range (depending upon the type of sights fitted to the gun) to hit the target and a method to control the fire ("fire for effect", "at my command", etc, etc).

Occasionally single guns or pairs of guns will be sent out to conduct independent harrassing fire (HF) or sniping gun (SG) tasks. They would be issued either a gun data sheet with the gun data (bearings and elevations, etc) or an officer and tech would go with them to become a mini-CP.

All of this is also why gun tractors don't normally have radios in them. Guns going on HF or SG tasks will be issued a manpack radio from 'Pronto' (the Bty Sigs NCO) for the duration of the task.

SP guns are generally fitted for radios as they are often deployed in more dispersed gun positions and the radios are used to pass orders.

Cheers and Ubique! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords