MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 03-10-03, 04:11
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Two More Have Fallen

Two of our boys have fallen today, in Afghanistan. Their Iltis hit a mine - it is unknown at this point whether it was static or command-detonated. I'm presuming - and hoping - they were killed instantly. Three more of their compatriots were wounded in the same blast, apparently not seriously.

Please salute Sgt Robert Allan Short:

and Cpl Robbie Christopher Beerenfenger:

They join a long line of stalwart Canadians in the ranks of the White Battalion. They shall never be forgotten.
Old 03-10-03, 17:01

Allan Short lost his Sister last year at Pet when she was killed in a Vech training accident.

I wonder if all 5 men were riding in the one Iltis. if so it must have been a tight fit.

Dean Owen
Old 03-10-03, 20:09
Vets_Dottir

I heard about these men on the news this morning. Ah... so dammed sad. Especially seeing their faces. Makes them more real. Thank you for posting their photos Geoff. I can't help thinking about their loved ones and hoping the other men involved weren't seriously wounded. So hard for everyone. Carman
Old 05-10-03, 17:03
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Our boys are coming home this morning, people, I hope you'll watch the ceremonies. ETA Trenton approx 1130H, surely TV coverage to begin within a few minutes. I'm about to sign off and go check.

Requiem In Pace, lads, you've done your job. Thank you for your lives.
Old 05-10-03, 20:43
Senior Forum Member

Regimental Prayer of The Royal Canadian Regiment:

Almighty God; we humbly implore Thy Blessing on The Royal Canadian Regiment and all of us who serve therein.

Help us to prove worthy to accept the high ideals and traditions of the past; to honour and revere the memory of those who have gone before us; to face our responsibilities in the future, in both peace and war, with courage, justice, love, honesty, and faithfulness.

Remove all greed, hatred, selfishness, and envy from our thoughts that we may render true service to The Regiment and for Thee our God; for our fellow man; and "For Country".

In Honour of our two departed members of the Regimental Family who have rendered true service to the Regiment, their fellow man and Canada.

Pro Patria

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 05-10-03 at 20:55.
Old 06-10-03, 13:34
Vets_Dottir

Hi Geoff.

I want to thank you for telling us about the newscast because I read that just in time to turn on my TV and watched the homecoming. So emotional.
No words can express "everything" of my thoughts and feelings while I watched. I felt great sadness and tears but am glad I watched it because seeing how deeply people felt and the solemness showed just how much everyone cares.

Mark... thank you too for posting what you did. Its ALL very moving in so many different ways.

From a sad and loving heart, Carman
Old 06-10-03, 16:42
Old Sigs Type

Sincerest condolences to Sgt Short's and Cpl Beerenfenger's families and to 3RCR for their loss.

PRO PATRIA

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We shall remember them.

Dean, there were 2 Iltises with 3 in each. The one that did not get hurt was in the 2nd vehicle in the back seat, facing the rear as rear guard. Apparently, he's quite traumatized and feels guilty that he was spared.

For those interested, I do daily news updates on my website dealing with Canadian peacekeeping (as well as anything about the Canadian Forces and our veterans). The direct link is: http://www.peacekeeper.ca/news_pk.html

Frank sends ...