MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 08-09-03, 14:20

Default Importing vehicle from the US

Has anyone here recently brought in a military vehicle from the US?
I'm not worrying about the Canadian side More about the US customs.
All the paperwork (bill of sale and Title) has to be presented to US customs 72hrs in advance of the export but this is for ordinary motor vehicles .
I know that there is special paperwork for military items but is this enforce for a vehicle that is no longer in service.
seems sort of silly for a close to 40 year old truck...
Here at work we just had a shipment of electronic boards seized by the us because the proper papers were not filled out (but that is current stuff).

Al
Old 09-09-03, 02:51
T-16, C15A

Default Sexton now in Canada

Al,

My pal Perry Kitson in London just dragged a Sexton home from Georgia to Canada. He had zero problems, with the help of our pals at Foreign Affairs.

There were some forms to fill out, paperwork to get by the State Department in Washington, but all of the hurdles were easy to get over. There was a GST glitch at the border, so have a wallet full of our currency when you get to the border.

Clive Law was a big help, and a good source of information.

Stewart
Old 09-09-03, 16:01
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Georgia Sexton

That wasn't one of the SECO Sextons that were featured in a post on the old MLU forum? Saved from the scrappers torch, well done!
Attached Thumbnails
sexton_01.jpg  
Old 09-09-03, 20:42

Default Vehicles From US

I know Dan McCaw of Coe Hill Ontario imported a US 1 1/2 ton a few years back. I don't think he had any problems and I do believe there was something relating to "scrap" in bringing it across the border. You might want to get in contact with Dan. He should be in the phone book and may be able to help as he brought home a softskin vehicle as opposed to armor.

S.
Old 10-09-03, 00:29
T-16, C15A

Default Re: Georgia Sexton

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
That wasn't one of the SECO Sextons that were featured in a post on the old MLU forum? Saved from the scrappers torch, well done!
Yes it is - and very glad to have it back.

Perry is getting the paperwork together to get some tax free status so that this huge work can begin. As one can imagine, this project is a long term and expensive undertaking, and he will need much assistance.

The vehicle is a monster - real big toy for a very ambitious fellow! Perry's first restoration effort was a MkII Universal carrier that appeared in Wheels and Tracks it was so well done. I have every confidence that this will turn out just as well!

Perry has not been able to do too much with the vehicle yet, but would like to get the radial working again. please keep an eye open for 9 cylinder radial engine parts for him.

Stewart
Old 11-09-03, 18:58

Thanks.
I finally got some answers form the Bureau of industrial security and the head office at customs. The state dept I could not get through to anyone.

There is a law for exporting US military equipment, where one needs to apply for special export papers.
Here at work we build stuff for the US military and had some electronic boards coming in. Seized by US customs, because there was a problem with the paperwork.

Hovever US customs officers set every thing straight. with my truck.
Almost laughing at me the response was.
"Sir we are not concerned about a 40 year old truck. this law is for modern items and technonogy." The B.I.S. just wanted to know if there were any weapons mounted.

I just wanted to be sure.

On tha Canadian side bottom line they just want your $$$

At least my truck on the registration just says 1967 kaiser jeep pickup.

Al