MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 12-11-09, 15:27

Default Armistice Day – Remembrance Day – Veterans Day

Though the name has changed with time and location the sentiment is the same.

The photos below are of Veterans Day Ceremonies yesterday 11/11/09 at the State Veterans Cemetery here in New Hampshire, well attended by dignitaries the Governor, Two Past Governors, Three Congressional Representatives, Numerous Military and Veteran’s Organizations Honor Guards but what I found most rewarding a very large crowd of people of all ages. Our MV Club was asked to provide 5 display vehicles. The ceremonies began with a piper play Over There in remembrance of soldiers of WWI.

Cheers Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of Veterans Day 09 NH 001.jpg   Copy of Veterans Day 09 NH 002.jpg   Copy of Veterans Day 09 NH 003.jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 12-11-09, 18:50
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Good to see

This pic qualifies for the 'in the background' thread.

In our case, or at least in my office we observed the minute silence after which, lacking a copy of the Last Post I played the sound of the Spitfire at full volume. I'm sure the whole building heard it.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 12-11-09, 21:45
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Post Here

At my work we paused for the playing of the last post, which was broadcast over the commercial radio stations, preceded by the commonly-read 4th verse from "For the Fallen" by Laurence Binyon...
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."
I have heard that verse at least twice a year every year in my 40 years, and still it almost moves me to tears...
They used to follow the last post with a minute of silence & Rouse, however, it seems with our changing and hectic life these days, this custom has been lost.
I recall several years ago, I was working as a shift manager at a fast food restaurant, and at 11:00 I dimmed the lights & switched off the in-house music. It was at this time the store owner came in & asked me what was going on. When I told him, I got into trouble for slowing production... Just one of the reasons I do not work there any more!
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)

Last edited by Howard; 12-11-09 at 21:50.
Old 12-11-09, 21:47
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Post Next Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
...in my office we observed the minute silence after which, lacking a copy of the Last Post I played the sound of the Spitfire at full volume. I'm sure the whole building heard it.
For next year, Keefy!
Last Post & Rouse
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
Old 12-11-09, 22:47
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Post Btw

And, by the way, I believe this was out first Armistice Day with no remaining WW1 veterans. Lest we forget.
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
Old 13-11-09, 00:49
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Side note...

Here is some info on the history of TAPS...
Quite the story..

If any of you have ever been to a military funeral in which taps was played; this brings out a new meaning of it.

Here is something Every Canadian should know. Until I read this, I didn't know, but I checked it out and it's true:

We in the Canada have all heard the haunting song, 'Taps.' It's the song that gives us the lump in our throats and usually tears in our eyes.

But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be interested to find out about its humble beginnings.

Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the American Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia . The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land.

During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment.

When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.

The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son. The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army.

The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy status. His request was only partially granted.

The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral.

The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.

But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician.

The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform.

This wish was granted.

The haunting melody, we now know as 'Taps' used at military funerals was born.

The words are:

Day is done.
Gone the sun.
From the lakes
From the hills.
From the sky.
All is well.
Safely rest.
God is nigh.

Fading light.
Dims the sight.
And a star.
Gems the sky.
Gleaming bright.
From afar.
Drawing nigh.
Falls the night.

Thanks and praise.
For our days.
Neath the sun
Neath the stars.
Neath the sky
As we go.
This we know.
God is nigh

I too have felt the chills while listening to 'Taps' but I have never seen all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know there was more than one verse . I also never knew the story behind the song and I didn't know if you had either so I thought I'd pass it along.

I now have an even deeper respect for the song than I did before.

Remember Those Lost and Harmed While Serving Their Country.

Also Remember Those Who Have Served And Returned; and for those presently serving in the Armed Forces.