MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 27-11-21, 10:59
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Fake Bearings

This is relevant to us. The problem is widespread: there is a app you download , the genuine bearing boxes have a bar code you can check with the app.?

https://www.stopfakebearings.com/
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 27-11-21 at 11:14.
Old 27-11-21, 13:55

Hmm. Interesting. I do hope that McMaster, MSC and Grainger all carry only the real thing. As those are where I get my bearings for equipment. NAPA hopefully has the real thing when it comes to automotive applications. Good bearings cost money, but can last many lifetimes if properly maintained and at the stresses we typically apply to historic vehicles now, vice when they saw active duty in a war.

Matt
Old 27-11-21, 14:39
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew P View Post
Hmm. Interesting. I do hope that McMaster, MSC and Grainger all carry only the real thing. As those are where I get my bearings for equipment. NAPA hopefully has the real thing when it comes to automotive applications. Good bearings cost money, but can last many lifetimes if properly maintained and at the stresses we typically apply to historic vehicles now, vice when they saw active duty in a war.

Matt
Hi Matt

Yes it is a worry . The jeep king pin swivel bearings I bought are marked: TIMKEN Made in India https://www.timken.com/en-in/about/timken-in-india/

Timken has five large factories in China https://news.timken.com/2006-11-08-T...uring-in-China
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 27-11-21, 15:23
MLU Administrator

Default Buyer beware!

Having worked for a leading brand bearing manufacturer, I know fake bearing are a real problem, both for the manufacturers and their customers.

And yes, the main brands have manufacturing plants in Asia as well where they produce the same quality products as in Europe and North America.

Some of the distrubutors do not know they sell fakes, they have been conned too.

E.g. how to identify counterfeit SKF Bearings: https://www.thecounterfeitreport.com...-Bearings.html

Next to fakes, another issue to watch for when buying bearing is that they do have a shelf life: https://www.bearingtips.com/shelf-li...gs-lubricants/
Old 03-12-21, 12:32
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Jmp

I had a look at the new jeep pinion bearings I bought. The boxes are printed with the 'Joe's Motor Pool' brand and 'Designed in the USA' No country of origin is visible on the boxes but I'd guess it would be India.

The bearing number and 'Joes Motor Pool ' are faintly visible on the bearings themselves on the cups.

I've been informed that JMP does outsource manuafacturing to places such as India. Does anybody know anything about what's going on ?
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 03-12-21 at 12:37.
Old 03-12-21, 14:46
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
I've been informed that JMP does outsource manuafacturing to places such as India. Does anybody know anything about what's going on ?
There are many contract manufacturers in Asia, the buyer can specify which brand name they want to be lasered onto the product, the design of the packaging, etc. You name it and they will do it, the customer is king.

There is nothing illegal about manufacturing bearings (provided one does not break patent laws), the problem is when you use established brand names like SKF, FAG, Timken when you are actually not SKF, FAG or Timken ;-)
I have seen pictures taken in Asian sweat shops where the same bearings were branded and packaged with different names - that is when the authorities raid those places and arrest the perpetrators.

I do know of any reference to Joe's Motor Pools bearings. I understand from club members their sheet metal panels are "made in-house" and are of very good quality and fit.

Personally, for bearings and other drive train components I would try and source from OEM's, rather than a brand from a contract manufacturer / reseller. My two cents worth...
Old 03-12-21, 17:35
carrier mech

I believe the proper term is counterfeit bearings as opposed to fake. There were problems back to the early 90s with counterfeit bolts entering military and commercial service. The head markings would indicate high grade, but they were offshore, low grade, improperly marked bolts and nuts. For a while the M109s had a problem with the flexplate bolts shearing off, and there was at least one large structure in the US where the problem became obvious after the framework had been erected. It was a serious enough problem that there were senate hearings on the subject.

I remember when Japan and Taiwan were looked at as poor quality products. Now they are regarded as quality. China will get there when it is ready. Problem in the meantime is when you buy a bearing, the cheap one and the expensive one may well be the same factory.
Old 05-12-21, 06:57
Bluebell

I have recently bought a few items via Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts in the States. These Joes Motor pool items mostly seem pretty well made. The test of time will be the real test. I'd be very cautious with bearings, but India has come a long way and produce a lot of vehicles these days. I can only imagine they are producing bearings of reasonable quality now. However, I would still be going for a known brand in bearings.
Years ago, I did up a couple of jeep diffs. Nos bearings (Timken) and nos crownwheels and pinions. The pinion bearings were excessively tight, which is a problem when you have to dis assemble again to add or remove shims. (no gauges) War time upper and lower tolerances clashing I guess?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 05-12-21, 07:40
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
I have recently bought a few items via Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts in the States. These Joes Motor pool items mostly seem pretty well made. The test of time will be the real test. I'd be very cautious with bearings, but India has come a long way and produce a lot of vehicles these days. I can only imagine they are producing bearings of reasonable quality now. However, I would still be going for a known brand in bearings.
Years ago, I did up a couple of jeep diffs. Nos bearings (Timken) and nos crownwheels and pinions. The pinion bearings were excessively tight, which is a problem when you have to dis assemble again to add or remove shims. (no gauges) War time upper and lower tolerances clashing I guess?
Jeep diffs: there is a method where you alter the diameter of the old/used carrier and pinion bearings in order to make it easy to remove the bearings for the shimming adjustment. You use a cylinder hone and remove a few thou from the I.D. of the carrier bearings so they will slip on/off easier. After all of the adjustments are done, you then use the new bearings.
https://youtu.be/C74lKWxX4J8

South Asia machine shop making Perkins crankshafts for Ferguson tractors . These guys are doing a remarkable job under tough working conditions. I bought a valve seat cutter set made in India..not the best quality I must say.
https://youtu.be/-inYCr-fV3Q
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 05-12-21 at 11:41. Reason: Fixed links
Old 05-12-21, 13:25

Re India quality. Remember that country has nuclear weapons. They are capable of producing stuff very, very precisely. Whether that level of quality is what is sold to us is another question. But remember they have a native manufacturing base that among other things includes multiple automotive companies.

Counterfeit might be more correct than Fake, but I can spell Fake in the search bar a lot better

Matt