MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 23-10-21, 21:51

Smile Loyd carrier engine

Need some direction, My Loyd engine has started leaking oil when it get warmed up it leaks oil quit steadily with a oil dripping out from the bell housing drain hole, I wondered if its the crank shaft seal I don't think its gear box oil
Its a Canadian ford V8 24 stud.
Thanks
Richard
Old 24-10-21, 02:58
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

It's likely that, but another less likely possibility it could be leaking around the cover for the Oil Pump idler gear.

These covers are one piece casting with the Idler Shaft pressed into the cover, but I have seen some where the shaft is a loose enough fit that oil can weep past it.

Also, the original gasket for the cover partially covers the grub screw in the end of the Main Oil Gallery. This grub screw should have been installed with a thread sealant, but if not, oil can weep along the thread (this gallery sees full engine oil pressure) and be lost where the gasket does not cover the screw.

There was a later modification of this cover and gasket to include a hump that completely sealed the grub screw, but unfortunately most modern gaskets don't have this hump, so the problem still remains even with the modified cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Cover 99A.jpg   Cover oil gallery plug.jpg   Cover 99A-3.jpg   Cover 99A-4.jpg  
Old 24-10-21, 04:29

have acids made very small holes in sections of your oil pan (sump)? Does not leak when cold.
Old 24-10-21, 10:08
Bluebell

Which engine is it? Is it a crank case pressure issue. Does it have a slinger? (Early engines) Sump not sealing properly. Seal leaking? High pressure pump delivering too much oil in an engine with no rear seal. Gasket not correctly placed or cut. Some engines require the drain pipe at the rear cap. There was a mod to grind the slinger off the crank and install a seal carrier in engines that only had a slinger.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 24-10-21, 23:50

Smile

Not sure how early engine is all i know it is a 24 stud this is the one i brought off Paul Visser in Holland but I can not get hold of him I did wonder if it was the early type and was planning to take sump off I only use classic oils so no additives. Interesting comment about oil pump.
Thanks guys & Girls
Old 25-10-21, 04:51
Bluebell

Richard, This is from memory so dont hold me to it. The early (long) pumps (3? types) are lower volume than the short pump ( both straight cut but different length gears) These long pumps were fitted in the engines of the day. Then the rear main leak off was controlled by a slinger (thread on crank? (can't remember exactly) and a flange)and a drain cavity. After some issues with off road (steep country) work the drain back pipe from the rear main cap was introduced. Then came the crankshafts with no slinger combined with the alloy inserts that held the rope (dog turd) seal. The improvement was to, at rebuild time to grind the slinger( flange) from the crankshaft and fit the applicable parts. Introducing the higher volume (short body)pumps required the upgrade of the rear seal. So as you can imagine, there might be a good number of reasons why you might have a leak. Although the flat head V8 production ran for a number of years, changes and improvements happened along the way. None of the above includes the short helical cut gear (80 pound) pump which should only be used in a race application. My previous post was done on my phone (which is painfull) There could be other issues as well, but they are long shots and unlikely. You just have to arm yourself with knowledge and keep your eyes (and mind) open when you open it up. Happy to try and answer questions from my limited knowledge.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 25-10-21, 12:46

Smile

Ok Thanks Watch this space