MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 15-10-21, 01:43

Default Lazy D markings...cyprus vehicles

Anyone have any info on the Lazy D painted on Cyprus vehicles.....some are white....some red... Would love to know what it's for....
Old 15-10-21, 13:12

Hi David

Usually, a lazy D on a Cdn Armoured vehicle (from an Armoured Unit) represents "D" Squadron of that Unit. Also, sometimes, called "Recce" (Reconnaissance) Squadron.

Triangle = A Sqn
Square = B Sqn
Circle = C Sqn and
Lazy D = D or Recce Sqn.

Armoured Units that are Brigaded, or in an Armoured Division, have a hierarchy of colours; the Senior unit uses Red, then next Yellow and the Junior unit uses Blue.

White is usually for Reconnaissance (vice Armoured) unit marking but in our Army, Armoured Recce is usually parented with an Armoured unit. IE A, B, And C Sqns are Armoured (tank) and D is Recce.

Hope this helps some.

regards
Darrell

Last edited by Darrell Zinck; 15-10-21 at 13:24.
Old 15-10-21, 15:53

Hello !!! Thank you so much for the info...that helps a lot !!!
Old 15-10-21, 16:22

Default Ferret Markings

David, do you have a photograph which shows red squadron markings being used in Cyprus?
Old 16-10-21, 16:10

One photo ....54-82557 has the red lazy D
Attached Thumbnails
54-82557 (461x650).jpg  
Old 16-10-21, 21:10

Most of the photos I have found are in black and white...very few in my collection are in color...have color photos showing red or white markings...in the black and white photos you can see that there may be more that are red or blue....some may be yellow or white.....I'm still hoping to find a photo of 589....I'm sure it's in some of the photos I have..but you just cannot see the number...thanks for all the help and interest.
Old 16-10-21, 22:57

Default Ferret Markings

David, context is key when analyzing a photograph and the colour photograph shows a Ferret which has recently arrived in Cyprus still sporting its Canadian markings. The white, I am leaning towards yellow Lazy Ds, are what was painted on the squadron vehicles for UN service as seen in this photograph.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RCD 79 FV 701 Ferret copy.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	125210
Old 17-10-21, 00:50

Hello and thank you Ed for the photo...I didn't have that one...
Old 17-10-21, 01:14

Hey Ed maybe your photo is more clear...can you make out the cfr number on that ferret? Thank you.
Old 17-10-21, 02:23

Default Ferret CFR

I have the negative and unfortunately with the driver's head in the way and the small size of the numbers, it is just not possible to read the CFR.
Old 17-10-21, 02:32

O.k. thank you so much for the info...I have been collecting any and all photos of ferrets...cfr numbers..hull numbers...markings , modifications..ECT...best regards...David
Old 19-10-21, 21:40

A word to the wise....it is best to have it and not need it...than need it and not have it....
Old 22-10-21, 00:35

Before I started this post...I had painted a red lazy D....if that is not correct I will repaint in another colour....the previous owner had sand blasted all the original paint and markings off so I guess I'll never know for sure....thanks all.
Old 22-10-21, 16:46

Default Cyprus Markings

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cussins View Post
Before I started this post...I had painted a red lazy D....if that is not correct I will repaint in another colour....the previous owner had sand blasted all the original paint and markings off so I guess I'll never know for sure....thanks all.
What other markings do you have on your Ferret?
Old 23-10-21, 20:37

This is how 54-82589 is looking right now.

And a photo of the rear....

A photo of inside.
Attached Thumbnails
0825211633 (650x366).jpg   20210429_094007 (650x488).jpg   20200519_140037 (600x450).jpg  
Old 24-10-21, 01:40

Hello Ed....thank you for all the information...I'm wanting to restore 589 as close to 1965 as i can...there are many modifications that were done ...yes I could take off the spot light....change the side lights...fire extinguishers...ECT. I do study the photos I have....I want to thank all vets....and I am very thankful for all restoration help.....
Old 24-10-21, 02:03
Centurion nut

Dave,

I have a theory about the use of red and yellow tactical symbols on Canadian Ferrets in Cyprus, but it's only an theory and could be completely wrong.

Prior to the 1958 reorganization into brigade groups the Canadian Army field force was organized as an infantry division, but with two instead of one armoured regiments. What if, as armoured regiments did in armoured divisions, the two regiments adopted the practice of using coloured tactical symbols? Red for the senior regiment and yellow for the next. In the Canadian Army's case, red for the RCD and yellow for the LdSH (RC).

And what if, even after the reorganization into brigade groups, the two regiments continued to use the same coloured tactical symbols because "That's the way we've always done it (harrumph)." It may account for the use of red and yellow symbols in Cyprus, when these two regiments provided the recce squadron's personnel, or it may not.

Just my 2 pfennings worth.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 24-10-21, 02:44

Excellent !!! Love it ....thank you...589 served with the Royal Canadian dragoons and Lord Strathconas...and others....Great information...love to hear it....thanks again.....
Old 24-10-21, 02:46

Cheers to you Dan...very 😎
Old 24-10-21, 18:51

Default Ferret Markings/Details

Now that I have seen your restored vehicle, just how accurate do you want to be with your Ferret markings and vehicle fittings?
Old 25-10-21, 20:04

Default Ferret makings

Well I wish I could be as close as possible....but it may drive me crazy getting there...I try to study all the photos....I guess for now I'm happy...I do have some original side lights...that may be the next project...thanks Ed.
Old 25-10-21, 20:32

I have also noticed that ferret 589 use to have a pair of wire cutters..a modification done in Cyprus...I can see on the hull where they were cut off...they could easily be reproduce and welded on...but they are a bit ugly !!! I will have to think a little while longer before restoring those...
Old 25-10-21, 23:39

When I got 589
it was pretty much empty inside....over the years I've collected parts and filled it up....I know the ammo boxes are U.S. ....I may paint them chocolate brown....wish I had the jump seats....but the ammo bins were a modification that started in 1965....it's not easy to get one back completely original...photos of inside are very very hard to find..just working with what I have for now...I love all the info...thank you all.
Old 26-10-21, 03:25

Default Cyprus Ferret

The first thing I would suggest is deciding which year you wish to represent as that will dictate the various modifications and vehicle markings. Just looking at the photograph you provided I spotted a few things that I would suggest changing. The camouflage net is not required for UN service and the ammunition box on the back fender should be replaced with a British water Jerrycan. Your ammunition boxes should be British H84s which are slightly smaller and constructed differently from US M1 or M19A1 cans. I also see British water bottles in your Ferret which were not used by the Canadian Army.

Name:	Compasison - M19A1 and H84 Mk I Ammunition Boxes - Stencilled markings [1] copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	125499

The markings on my H84 Mk I are later than those used in 1965, but the can design did not change and this is a comparison image with a Canadian marked M19A1 can.
Old 26-10-21, 03:54

Thank s Ed for all that info and photos...yes the camo net I just had..and there is where I used it...same with the u.s. ammo boxes....if you noticed I do have a pair of sand channels...very few photos show Canadian ferrets with them...but I do have 2 photos from Egypt...the .303 ammo box on the rear I had....with the m series side lights..you can't put on a water can....some were installed higher up...out of the way...very hard to track down fire extinguishers and brackets...I have all 3 ansuls...but they are 1970s....in old photos...looks like they changed them like to what ever the could get at the time....would love to find or have reproduced some roadrunner decals...no great photos for that...
Old 26-10-21, 04:04

She is not exact or perfect...but much better than those I've seen in museums and the poor old girls setting outside ...thank you all for your help...
Old 26-10-21, 12:32

Default Ferret Accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cussins View Post
Thank s Ed for all that info and photos...yes the camo net I just had..and there is where I used it...same with the u.s. ammo boxes....if you noticed I do have a pair of sand channels...very few photos show Canadian ferrets with them...but I do have 2 photos from Egypt...the .303 ammo box on the rear I had....with the m series side lights..you can't put on a water can....some were installed higher up...out of the way...very hard to track down fire extinguishers and brackets...I have all 3 ansuls...but they are 1970s....in old photos...looks like they changed them like to what ever the could get at the time....would love to find or have reproduced some roadrunner decals...no great photos for that...
I'm out! Egypt and Cyprus were two different missions, mixing and matching fittings and markings to suit a personal taste is not accuracy.

Name:	Ferret Drive Past - RCD Cyprus copy.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	494.4 KB
ID:	125502

No camouflage nets or Roadrunner markings in this Cyprus photograph from 1965.
Old 26-10-21, 15:22

Thank you Ed for the photo...I'm wanting to restore 589 as it was in Cyprus...1960s....just doing the best I can and learning from you guys up north...best to you..David
Old 26-10-21, 17:17

One of these two ferrets could be 589...can't see the cfr numbers....but not many had the wire cutters....this is how I think 589 may have looked...
Attached Thumbnails
Capture+_2020-06-24-00-17-26 (640x301).jpg