MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events > COROWA - THE EVENT

Notices

Old 23-11-08, 12:14
Corowa Project 30

Default KVE Newsletter

Hi all,
We have just released the first KVE newsletter. If I have you on my database you will receive a copy via email. If you aren't on my database then take a look at the website www.corowaswim-in.org
Many thanks to people who have contributed and particularly Ben Hemmings who has put the final product together. We are looking for articles from participants for our next newsletter which will go out towards the end of January or early February. For any contributions please send me an email kveinc@optusnet.com.au
Remember to keep looking at the website for any changes and updates. The following is only a small part of the newsletter.

Secretary/Public Relations Report
Another year has nearly flown by. Corowa 2009 is only 3 ½ months away. It has been great working with the current committee this year and we are well on the way to completing the organising for Corowa 2009. There has been more delegation of tasks. Rick and other committee members are becoming more familiar with the local Corowa representatives. We had a meeting with a number of representatives in town when we were there for our AGM in July and they are very interested in assisting us more in the future.

It is going to be a great year with lots of celebrations. This is the 30th Year of the event and I have attended 28 of these events. I missed 1982 and 1985 so I can justifiably say I know why people keep coming back and why we don’t want to make too many changes. With the event now being so much bigger we needed to form an Incorporated Association to cover our members and unfortunately we do ask that you pay a $10 Entry fee as we do have more expenses to pay. You will receive a package with more than $10 value if you prepay now. To be apart of this in the future you are welcome to join KVE Inc. You can download a Membership Application Form off the website or ask me for a copy.

News on the Meal functions:
I would appreciate people letting me know whether to include them on the meal lists as catering is not an easy task especially if there are 50 people or 250 people.
On the Thursday evening the Corowa Council would like to give recognition for our event especially since we have been in their town for the past 30 years and will put on a Civic Reception from 6pm. At this stage the plan is for the RSL club to provide some finger food and we will by our own drinks. It won’t be a long function so please come along.
On the Saturday evening we have decided to get the Corowa Rotary Club to provide a meal for participants. We haven’t done this for a few years as people tend to be blasé about whether to attend or not but due to this being our 30th Year we would like to encourage people to come along to our presentations and auction. Come along and support the local Rotary Club. We have a local person doing the auction this year and Tim Scriven has organised a couple of marquees. If you prepay your Entry Fee you will be entitled to a 2 course meal for $10 per person and that includes any person you have nominated as attending on your Entry Form. KVE will subsidise the extra $5. We understand that people need to be fed at some stage during the evening so decided to have the Rotary Club start serving at 6pm. If possible it would be great if all who are attending could have eaten their main course by 7pm and then dessert will be served. We are aiming to commence the official proceedings at 7.30pm sharp. I would prefer people to give us an idea of numbers attending so we can provide accurate numbers prior to the event. You will be required to pay for this upon arrival and will be given tickets.
The Sunday evening Carvery meal at the Corowa RSL Club is always a great night. A booking has already been made but we need confirmation of numbers also. It is always good to encourage people to stay until the Monday so they can come along to this function. The cost at the moment is $18 per adult and $7.50 per child.

Auction:
Donations for the auction would be greatly appreciated. Please bring them to the Site Office at Ball Park and hand them to a KVE member. We have an auctioneer from town running the auction and this money goes towards our insurance and running costs of the event.

Camping at Corowa Airport:
Tabitha at the airport would really appreciate people pre-booking their powered or non-powered sites so she knows how many people are staying. She is considering hiring more toilets and showers but she can only do this with knowledge of numbers. She is also willing to provide meals at a very reasonable cost. The same system will apply as in March 2008. The Airport is located at Redlands Road Corowa. Contact Tabitha and Tim Hughes on 0415 704748.

Accommodation at Ball Park Caravan Park:
For those requiring a powered site at Ball Park Caravan Park it is advisable to contact them ASAP. Some years they have run out of powered sites and with the increased interest for 2009 I would be getting in early. Contact Sonya & Andrew Palmer on (02) 60331426

We are after articles for our next newsletter so if you are a member or a participant and have anything you would like to contribute please forward to kveinc@optusnet.com.au

Entry Forms:
We have started putting together rally packs and appreciate if people can send back their entry forms ASAP. Please remember to send in your entry form & entry fee prior to the end of February so we have an indication of the numbers of vehicles and people attending. We will then be able to determine how many special mementoes to order. Please ensure you complete both pages of the entry form. You will realise that the second page asks for numbers of participants to the meal functions.

Site Office:
Please let me know when you are able to man the Site Office. There are many new faces and it is always a good opportunity to meet people. A list of duties will be provided so that anyone can help with this task. We do require a member from KVE to be on each shift and we would like to invite other participants to help out.

Themes for 2009:
There are 2 themes for 2009. The primary reason the event was set up is due to the amphibious vehicles so the main theme is Year of the Amphibious Vehicle. Unfortunately there may not be as much water in the river as we would like but it will be good to see a variety of these vehicles in attendance. A member who is bringing a Buffalo has already stated that he will take it in the river no matter if there is enough water or not. In 2002 we had Year of the Blitz and it was requested a few years ago to have a Year of the Blitz 2 for all those people who were still restoring their Blitz’s. Hopefully many of those will attend in 2009.

Themes for 2010, 2011, 2012:
In 2010 the theme will be Year of the Jeep.
The theme for 2011 will be Year of the British and European Vehicles
In 2012 the theme will be Year of the 6X6.
Participants attending the event in 2009 will be able to make suggestions on the theme for 2013.

Wednesday 11th March: School visit
We are looking for a selection of vehicles to take to the Corowa Primary School at 10am. We have offered to give the children a chance to have a look at and hear some information from owners about your vehicles. A letter went out to all primary schools in the Corowa area and we currently have had responses from the Corowa Primary School and Lowesdale Public School. The 14 children from Lowesdale will be transported to the Corowa Primary School.

Thursday 12th March: Trip to Maurice Wilson’s property
We have been invited again to Maurice Wilson’s property on the outskirts of Corowa. This would be an ideal location if the Amphibious vehicles were able to do a trip down the river but at this stage a lot of water will be needed to fill the river. The road run will depart from Corowa Airport at 10am. Feel free to pack some lunch.

Friday 13th March: Trip to Milawa:
The current agenda is as follows:
• 8.00-8.30 Depart Corowa
• 9.00-9.30 Arrive Milawa
• 9.30 Small parade through Milawa to primary school
• 10.00 Visit Milawa primary school – activities and answer children’s questions
• 11.30 Cheese factory/art gallery - cheese tasting and grab a bite to eat
• 12.30 Mustard shop – taste different kinds of mustards
• 13.00 EV olives – taste olives and olive oils and bring a container to fill up if you
want to buy some olive oil
• 14.00 Brown Brothers
• 15.30 Depart Milawa

Special thanks to Sue and Leon Heynders for organising the agenda.

Saturday 14th March: Parade, Swap Meet and other activities
Saturday is the main day of activities commencing with a parade departing from near Ball Park at 9am sharp. Alex McPherson will be in contact with the Corowa Council and will give us a detailed report on the Traffic Management Plan for the parade shortly. This will be put on the website. There have been changes to the entry to Ball Park so this will also be taken into consideration. If coming from Victoria apparently you turn right at the bottom of the Bowling Club (where the original entry used to be) and if you are in NSW heading towards Victoria you turn left.
With the large number of vehicles likely to be present we may need more assistance with the line up of vehicles prior to the parade. To make things easier make sure you register in at the Site Office during the week and place your vehicle number on your front windscreen or bumper bar. This is the easiest way for us to get a vehicle list together after the event. For those arriving on the Saturday morning make sure you go directly to the line up and see me for your vehicle number. If you pay your entry fee you will receive a vehicle certificate of attendance.
After the parade, follow directions for parking your vehicle so we can obtain a group photo of the vehicles. We hope to have a number of marshals assisting us with this task. If you are able to help please let me know.
The Corowa Rotary Club will be running the Swap Meet again in 2009. Please abide by their regulations and do not start selling until 9.45am, once the parade vehicles have been displayed. It will cost $5 per site and they will have lots of food available.
The arena will be set up again near the airport for vehicle activities.
Come and support the Dinner, Auction and presentations on Saturday evening. Make sure you purchase your meal tickets ASAP. The Corowa Rotary Club will be providing a 2 course meal from 6pm. The Auction and Presentations will commence at 7.30pm. There is bound to be a combination of items of interest. Donations will be gratefully accepted. We need your support to make this a special event for our 30 year celebrations.

For further information on the event please feel free to give me a call on 0423 943010 or send an email to kveinc@optusnet.com.au To ensure you are kept up to date with details send me an email to get on the database.
Special thanks to Ben Hemmings for putting the newsletter together. He is also in charge of our website.

On behalf of the committee and members of KVE Inc I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a safe, healthy and prosperous New Year. This newsletter is intended to go out to members of KVE along with past, present and future participants of the Annual GPA Swim-In and ex-Military Vehicle Gathering at Corowa, NSW, Australia. Let’s spread the word to people throughout Australia and the world about how great this event is!
Research & Development
THE COROWA YEAR 30 PROJECT
Old 01-12-08, 10:44
Corowa Project 30

I phoned Tabitha at the Corowa Airport today to see if she has had many bookings for powered sites and she said she only had a few bookings. I am aware that there will be a number of people staying at the airport and it is really important that you book your sites ASAP. Upon arrival at the Airport you must visit Tabitha or Tim in the Jump Shak before setting up your campsite. She will organise extra toilets and showers if she gets lots of bookings. The cost will be $10 per person, per night for a powered site and at this stage she has some beds left in the Jump Shak for the same price. There is now air conditioning in the Jump Shak so if we experience high temperatures again I know where to find you. Meals will be available but you must inform Tabitha ahead of time. Last year there were a few dogs at the airport. This year it will be STRICTLY NO DOGS. These rules apply at all airports.

Alex McPherson has just visited Corowa and the road works has been delayed. At this stage we are unsure what the status will be with Tracked Vehicles in the parade. Alex also mentioned that the river level is up a bit due to irrigation. It is difficult to say what the levels will be like in March.

I have received a number of entry forms and know there are more to come. Please send your entry form in ASAP. The second page asks if you will be attending the meal functions. Please complete this with your entry form.

It has also been suggested that a photo be taken of people who attended the first rally. If you were at the rally in 1980 please be at the Auction & Presentation evening on Saturday 14th March. We would like to take a group photo. The people who I can think of at this stage who are likely to attend include: Alan Newton, Ian Grieve, Peter Short, Phil Rider, Don Campbell, Tom Rolfe, Trevor Boyle, Col Anderson, Tim Vibert, Bevan Fenner, Peter Hart, Dave Mottram, Barbara Thompson, Hugh Thompson and myself. If you can think of anyone else who we still see from time to time please let me know.

Thank you to the people who have sent emails and private messages regarding the first KVE newsletter. I would appreciate people passing on these messages to other participants.
Research & Development
Old 02-12-08, 06:27
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Thompson View Post
The people who I can think of at this stage who are likely to attend include: Alan Newton, Ian Grieve, Peter Short, Phil Rider, Don Campbell, Tom Rolfe, Trevor Boyle, Col Anderson, Tim Vibert, Bevan Fenner, Peter Hart, Dave Mottram, Barbara Thompson, Hugh Thompson and myself. If you can think of anyone else who we still see from time to time please let me know.
I know that Andrew Browne and Bob Nicol were there - and me too.
Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 02-12-08, 06:31
Corowa Project 30

Hi Mike,
You are correct. Do you think you could get them to come along in 2009?
Research & Development
Old 04-12-08, 09:07

Default Accommodation

The Boys from Bandii will be at the Airport again as will the Pucka crowd. We have already booked with Tabitha.

I know the gentlemen from AAVA are planning on the Airport as well although exact numbers are yet to be confirmed.

Sould be good........

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..
Old 14-12-08, 22:23
Blitzed

Default Corowa 2009 to a wider audience

Hi all,
Does anybody watch Classic Restos' or Cruizin' on Channel 31 here in Victoria? The Channel number may be different in other states. Seeing as their shows are dedicated to restored vehicles and vehicle events I was thinking they may be interested in covering Corowa 2009. It would be a way to get the Swim-in event to a wider audience.
I don't have their contact details, it was just a thought I had as I got up this morning.
Old 15-12-08, 07:28
Corowa Project 30

Hi Ryan,
After seeing your post this morning I have done some investigating. The Program Producer of Classic Restos comes from NSW and was very interested in our event in March. He has commitments with the Chrysler on the Murray rally on the 14th and 15th March at Albury but would like to be apart of our event during the week. He produces DVD's for the Chrysler rally. He would like to make a 30 minute feature of our event for his show. His program on Channel 31 can be seen in Vic, NSW, SA and Qld. When the episode goes to air it will be seen 10 times within the one week. In Sydney the show is on at 8pm on Wed and 4pm on Sat. Can you give us some feedback on what you like about his show? I will then put this to the current committee for discussion.

We are having a KVE Committee Meeting and General Meeting on Sunday 28th December at Point Lonsdale. You are more than welcome to attend.
Research & Development
Old 15-12-08, 07:31
Corowa Project 30

If anyone is in southern Victoria on the 28th Dec you are welcome to attend our KVE General Meeting. It will be held at Point Lonsdale at 1pm. Let me know if you are coming and join us for lunch prior to the meeting.
Research & Development
Old 16-12-08, 01:06
Blitzed

Hi Jan,
Why do I like the Classic Restos? I guess it's informal approach to showcasing the vehicles and their owners. The show has a good mix of information from the vehicle owner and footage of the vehicle itself. It's down to earth approach is welcome and easier on the eye and ear as compared to some commercial stations over production. The host isn't a himbo/bimbo type too.
In a nutshell it's easy going, like Corowa.

Thank you too for the invite to Point Lonsdale, maybe I should get away from the computer.
Ryan
Old 16-12-08, 01:20
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynoki View Post
Hi Jan,
The host isn't a himbo/bimbo type too.

Ryan
yeah ..like those hosts of 'top gear' ...a load of tripe that show is , and the aussie version is just as bad ...Instead of providing an informative , erudite presentation ....they play around like teenage school boys with toys ..mine's faster than your's etc ..gees grow up . And, not forgetting the time trials with some brain dead "celebrity" .

Ch 31 is for city folk... no reception in the wilds ! I think they use a 10 watt transmitter in St Kilda .
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 16-12-08, 03:41
Blitzed

Default accommodation

Have secured a powered site at Ball Park Caravan Park for 09 but for those that LOVE Corowa how about this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Cabin-2-Bedro...3A1|240%3A1318

A Permanent HQ.
Old 16-12-08, 07:50
Corowa Project 30

It is good to have people's own personal opinions on shows such as Classic Restos and Top Gear. I am planning to watch Classic Restos tomorrow night at 8pm.
I haven't really watched the UK version of Top Gear so I can't give an opinion on it but I enjoyed the Aussie version and I was in Episode 6 after being one of the lucky ones to get tickets for the studio audience. Warren Brown, a NSW military vehicle collector and good friend did a great job considering it was his first time doing a show like this. I spoke to him today and they will start filming shortly for the second series.
Research & Development
Old 16-12-08, 23:58
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Top gear

hi Jan

In one Aust. episode I watched .. the three presenters took 3 cars down to Tassie , luxury touring /sporty cars (all worth over $100K each) .... Warren drove a Daimler or something..the two others had a Ferrari and a Porsch as well, from memory. What we saw on the air ,was nothing more than a 5 minute skit, with the 3 of them racing each other along a stretch of road, and silly, mindless banter between them ... What was the point of doing it ?

At least, Peter Wherret ( the old ABC TORQUE car show ) gave a serious appraisal of the cars he was driving..he canned the HZ Holden and it caused a shock wave in the motor industry here. GMH were running around like a chook without a head for a while ...

Apparently, FOX pay TV has a show about a guy restoring tanks... now that's what I'd like to see !
Mike
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 17-12-08, 00:03
www.REMLR.com

A little birdy tells me that there is a very good chance that there will be 2 vehicles from the CVRT family of vehicles at corowa this year. Could be interesting!
Old 17-12-08, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post

In one Aust. episode I watched .. the three presenters took 3 cars down to Tassie , luxury touring /sporty cars (all worth over $100K each) .... Warren drove a Daimler or something..the two others had a Ferrari and a Porsch as well, from memory. What we saw on the air ,was nothing more than a 5 minute skit, with the 3 of them racing each other along a stretch of road, and silly, mindless banter between them ... What was the point of doing it ?
Mike,

Top Gear is accepted for what it is, originally, it started off as a normal motoring programme called Wheelbase and then developed into the present form. There is no doubt to its popularity around the world. I take it or leave it, it is entertainment. Warren is a military vehicle owner and enthusiast. He accompanied me on the 2004 Normandy D-day Tour, where he met Lang and the Peking-Paris adventure was planned........from that programme he was then chosen for Top Gear Australia. I say good luck to him, what you see is what the producers want and as SBS television have had record viewing figures for this programme it obviously worked as I understand a second series is in the pipeline. ( I have watched most of the TG Australia series and found them to be good viewing, by the way)

Is the FOX programme on tank restoration, the series that has been on satellite tv for some time, or a new one from Australia?

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 17-12-08, 01:22

Wink i will be their

if i can get leave i will be their with a vehicle or not. i will be bringing my White SC if i can Fingers XXXXXXXed

LP2A Carrier 5004 SA Railways Islington
Old 09-01-09, 11:24
Corowa Project 30

I now have 63 official vehicle entry forms and a number of entrants who are still unsure of what vehicle they are bringing to Corowa this year. I would like to encourage all participants to send in a form with a $10 entry fee as you will receive more than $10 in return. We have organised mementos and you will also receive a discount meal on the Saturday night provided by the Corowa Rotary Club. Some people are not bringing vehicles but are keen to receive the package and mementos we will be handing out.

There are currently 17 Blitz's and 3 Amphibious vehicles entered to date. I am looking forward to receiving more entry forms over then next 8 weeks.

We plan to release another Newsletter early in February so remember to take a look at the website when you have a chance. www.corowaswim-in.org
Research & Development
Old 11-01-09, 10:14

Jan,
I enjoy Classic Resto's he has a very wide variety of vehicles on the show and MV's would not be out of place.
I too enjoy Top Gear U.K and was thrilled to hear we were getting our own version, even more thrilled to hear Warren got the gig. I have only seen two Aussie shows due to working away last year and I believe they tried too hard to follow the U.K format. They tell me the later episodes were better.
Richard, Warren also had his own small show on the ABC called Warren's Wheels, they were good.
Are you coming to Corowa this year?
Cheers
Jeff
42 C15A
43 969A Diamond T wrecker
Type 2,3 & 4 Ausssie jeep trailers
Old 15-01-09, 22:23
Corowa Project 30

I spoke to Fletch last night from Classic Restos and he will be coming to Corowa on Tuesday 10th March and will be staying overnight to do a few interviews.
Research & Development
Old 30-01-09, 08:34
Corowa Project 30

The number of pre-registered participants is increasing day by day.
The second KVE Newsletter will be going out within the next few days. If you are not on my database and want a copy send me an email and I wil include you on the list.

Please take note of the following:

Guidelines for AFV’s

As mentioned previously, here are a set of guidelines that AFV owners/drivers need to adhere to. There is nothing overly out of the question here and most of them are basic common sense and safety requirements that are echoed in most clubs.

There are also a few guidelines included for the Carrier Pilots to read.

On behalf of the committee, we do not want to come over looking like control freaks or fun police. Remember that in this world of litigation and insurance, this entire week we enjoy, could become just a memory if we do not act on the side of caution.

1. No AFVs in Van Park
2. All vehicles are to be registered, on Club Plates or valid permit.
3. All vehicles to have third party cover.
4. No vehicle is to be driven on roads or paddocks without a crew commander for additional visibility.
5. All drivers and crew commanders are to comply with National road laws pertaining to alcohol consumption when operating vehicles.
6. No riding on top of vehicles at any time.
7. Lights must be on whilst on public roads.
8. Pedestrian traffic has right of way.
9. Working Intercom (IC) between driver and crew commander mandatory.
10. Any damages that occur are the responsibility of the vehicle driver.
11. All vehicles are to be driven at walking pace with a guide on foot approx 5 metres in front of the vehicle when driven in pedestrian areas and close environs. This is mandatory within the airfield and pedestrian areas.
12. Guides are to wear a high visibility vest or clothing at all times when guiding a vehicle and must be visible to the driver. Vehicle is not to proceed if guide is not visible to driver.
13. There is to be no AFV movement outside of designated areas without KVE approval.
14. Public access to AFVs should be at owners’ discretion.
15. All of the heavier tracked vehicles are to be co-located within the one area to minimise damage to park grounds and increase vehicle security.
16. No AFVs to use the track along the riverside near the Van Park.
17. No moving AFVs after dark.
18. AFV owners are to adhere to directions given by staff and committee.

In addition there should be rules for owners and drivers of LP Carriers. These should include:
19. All vehicles are to be driven at walking pace with a guide on foot approx 5 metres in front of the vehicle when driven in pedestrian areas and close environs. This should be mandatory within the van park and airfield areas.
20. No vehicle driven without crew commander.
21. Controlled access to riverside track area during daylight hours only.
22. Guides must wear high visibility clothing when in high pedestrian and close environs.
23. All vehicles are to be registered, on Club Plates or valid permit.
24. All vehicles to have third party cover.

As stated earlier, it may look a lot, but most is common sense and a requirement of most clubs anyway. It just looks a lot when put down all at once.
Research & Development
Old 30-01-09, 23:49
RIP

Default Dogs

Hi Jan - for mine and others edification, what is the policy on dogs in the caravan park and airport?

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 30-01-09, 23:51
RIP

Default Sleeps

35 sleeps to go!!
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 31-01-09, 10:47

Bob, have you already produced the caps? Any preview of the design?

Greetings
Chris

www.wheelsandtracks.com
>> Condor A580 M+85691 (1952), Swiss Army Motorbike (unrestored)
>> F15 1942 Aust (Cab 13) ::: restored by Keefy
Old 01-02-09, 21:39
Corowa Project 30

Hi Bob,
NO ANIMALS are allowed at Corowa Airport. This is the case at all Australian Airports. Dogs are allowed at Ball Park and must be on a leash. They are not allowed in any of the cabins.

Thanks for the countdown.

The 2nd KVE Newsletter is now out and there are lots of updates. Ben will be putting it on the KVE Website as well. If you haven't received your email copy of the newsletter please forward me an email to put you on the database for future Corowa updates.
Research & Development
Old 05-02-09, 09:28
Corowa Project 30

Hope you all have had time to read the KVE newsletter. Please take note of the following:

Secretaries / Public Relations Report
This report contains some updated information. Please read carefully and contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you to the people who have sent emails and private messages regarding the first KVE newsletter. I would appreciate people passing on these messages to other participants. Many thanks to people who have contributed and particularly Ben Hemmings who has put the final product together. We are looking for articles from participants for our next newsletter which will go out in late April or May. For any contributions please send me an email kveinc@optusnet.com.au

Changes to the entry of Ball Park Caravan Park
There have been changes to the entry to Ball Park. If coming from Victoria you turn right at the bottom of the Bowling Club (where the original entry used to be) and if you are in NSW heading towards Victoria you turn left just after the Bowling Club.

Entry Forms:
Please send your entry form in ASAP including the second page which asks if you will be attending the meal functions. Please complete this with your entry form. We require numbers for some of our meal functions.

Entry Fee - $10 per vehicle
I now have over 80 official vehicle entry forms and a number of entrants who are still unsure of what vehicle they are bringing to Corowa this year. I would like to encourage all participants to send in a form with a $10 entry fee as you will receive more than $10 in return. We have organised mementos and you will also receive a discount meal on the Saturday night provided by the Corowa Rotary Club. Some people are not bringing vehicles but are keen to receive the package and mementos we will be handing out.

It is great to see people supporting the themes each year. There are currently 25 Blitzes and 4 Amphibious vehicles entered to date. I am looking forward to receiving more entry forms over the next few weeks.

Group photo at 7.30pm Saturday 14th March of people who were at the first Corowa Swim-In in 1980:
It has also been suggested that a photo be taken of people who attended the first rally. If you were at the rally in 1980 please be at the Auction & Presentation evening on Saturday 14th March. We would like to take a group photo. The best time to take this would be at 7.30pm. Please advise me if you attended the first event in 1980. If you know someone who attended the first event please encourage them to come along this year. We will probably put up a list at the Site Office.

Important update on the Parade
At this stage we are unsure what the status will be with Tracked Vehicles in the parade. They will probably form up in Edwards St. The roads have been spray sealed and we are waiting on approval from the Corowa Council. A driver’s briefing will be held probably on Friday for people with Tracked Vehicles.
There have been some changes to the roads especially the entrance to Ball Park so we have decided to commence the Parade from Bangerang Park / Bowling Club Carpark. Due to the large number of vehicles we are expecting it would be great to have them lined up in categories such as Jeeps, Champs, motor cycles, Dodges, GMC’s, Studebakers etc. We will require a person to be the leader of each group of vehicles. The person will join the parade at the appropriate time and ensure the vehicles following line up at the Airport in the required places.

Awards & Voting Form
In each person’s participant pack you will receive a Voting Form. This will give you an opportunity to nominate people for awards and also suggest a theme for 2013.
VOTING FORM
Please put this form in the Suggestion Box by 12 midday on Saturday 14th March. At 1200hrs this box will be cleared and any forms received after this will not be included. We need time to count and organize the results for the presentations on Saturday night.
Awards: Please give the person’s name and the reason for them to be considered for an Award.
1. Mal Mackay Memorial Award: This award will be given to an individual who appears to get the most enjoyment out of being at Corowa.
Name: Reason why:
2. Hard Luck award:
3. Breakdown Award:
4. Longest distance driven in a military vehicle:
Name: Number of Kilometres driven:
5. Encouragement Award:
6. People’s Favourite Choice: For your favourite vehicle attending this year.
Vehicle rally number: Type of Vehicle:
Suggestions for a Theme for 2013
Suggestions for places to visit in 2010

Auction:
Donations for the auction would be greatly appreciated. Please bring them to the Site Office at Ball Park and hand them to a KVE member. We have an auctioneer from town running the auction and this money goes towards our insurance and running costs of the event. We need your support to make this a special event for our 30 year celebrations.

Camping at Corowa Airport:
Tabitha at the airport would really appreciate people pre-booking their powered or non-powered sites so she knows how many people are staying. She is considering hiring more toilets and showers but she can only do this with knowledge of numbers.
Upon arrival at the Airport you must visit Tabitha or Tim in the Jump Shak before setting up your campsite. The Airport is located at Redlands Road Corowa. Contact Tabitha and Tim Hughes on 0415 704748.
The cost will be $10 per person, per night for a powered site and at this stage she has some beds left in the Jump Shak for the same price. There is now air conditioning in the Jump Shak. Meals will be available but you must inform Tabitha ahead of time. Last year there were a few dogs at the airport. This year it will be STRICTLY NO DOGS. These rules apply at all airports.

Accommodation at Ball Park Caravan Park:
For those requiring a powered site at Ball Park Caravan Park it is advisable to contact them ASAP. Some years they have run out of powered sites and with the increased interest for 2009 I would be getting in early.
Contact Sonia & Andrew Palmer on (02) 60331426

Entry Forms:
We have started putting together rally packs and appreciate if people can send back their entry forms ASAP. Please remember to send in your entry form & entry fee prior to the end of February so we have an indication of the numbers of vehicles and people attending. We will then be able to determine how many special mementoes to order. Please ensure you complete both pages of the entry form. You will realise that the second page asks for numbers of participants to the meal functions.

Site Office:
Please let me know when you are able to man the Site Office. There are many new faces and it is always a good opportunity to meet people. A list of duties will be provided so that anyone can help with this task. We do require a member from KVE to be on each shift and we would like to invite other participants to help out. The Site Office will be open from 8.00am until 10.00am, 12MD until 2.00pm and from 4.00-6.00pm daily. Upon arrival in town we would like you to come down to the Office and register ASAP.

Themes for 2010, 2011, 2012:
In 2010 the theme will be Year of the Jeep.
The theme for 2011 will be Year of the British and European Vehicles
In 2012 the theme will be Year of the 6X6.
Participants attending the event in 2009 will be able to make suggestions on the theme for 2013.

Tooles Disposals Warehouse – Open days
Tooles Disposals will be opening their Warehouse for the last time to our participants from 10.00am until 1.00pm on Tuesday, 10.00-12MD on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The address is Tooles Rd. Bandiana off the Kiewa Valley Highway.
For further information on the event please feel free to give me a call on 0423 943010 or send an email to kveinc@optusnet.com.au To ensure you are kept up to date with details send me an email to get on the database.
Special thanks to Ben Hemmings for putting the newsletter together. He is also in charge of our website.

Ozamphibian Platypus
This vehicle will be in Corowa during the week. Take a look at the information on the vehicle further in this newsletter. There will hopefully be a demonstration and talk on Thursday and possibly at other times during the event.

‘Classic Restos’ interviews and filming on Tuesday and Wednesday
Mark Fletcher (otherwise known as Fletch) from Classic Restos on Channel 31 will be coming to Corowa on Tuesday 10th March and will be staying overnight to do a few interviews. His negotiated sponsors are American Autos Rare Spares & Valvoline. His company is called Itchybutt Productions
A little bit of history on Fletch:
Fletch’s first gig was in 1969 at the age of 4 when he sang the song “I like aeroplane jelly” at the Rockdale Town Hall. He won his family “jelly” packs for 6 months.
Voice antics started for Fletch in 1985 when he used to carry out character voices for Sydney radio station 2UE. Over the years, right up until 2000, and even occasionally these days, the odd character voice on radio can be heard when called upon.
He has appeared on ‘Hey Hey It’s Saturday and many regional TV commercials and pilot shows on the Channel Nine Network. He has an established association with comedian Rodney Rude. In 2003 he toured regional NSW and parts of Queensland as Rodney Rude’s son, performing his own show.
Fletch is heavily into the automotive scene. He has a fully restored 4 door Chrysler Regal sedan and is restoring a 1969 Dodge Coupe. He is the official presenter for the Summernats and Chryslers on the Murray DVD’s.
Please contact Jan if you would like to be part of the interviews.

Volunteers are required for the following:
Site Office at Ball Park Caravan Park
Setting up the vehicle arena at Corowa Airport
Taking down the vehicle arena at Corowa Airport
Marshalls for the parade on Saturday
Speakers for the Wednesday school display

News on the Meal functions:
I would appreciate people letting me know whether to include them on the meal lists as catering is not an easy task.

On the Thursday evening the Corowa Shire Council would like to give recognition for our event especially since we have been in their town for the past 30 years and will put on a Civic Reception from 6pm at the Corowa RSL Club in Betterment Parade. At this stage the plan is for the RSL club to provide some finger food and we will buy our own drinks. It won’t be a long function so please come along.

On the Saturday evening at Ball Park Caravan Park we have decided to get the Corowa Rotary Club to provide a meal for participants. We haven’t done this for a few years as people tend to be blasé about whether to attend or not but due to this being our 30th Year we would like to encourage people to come along to our presentations and auction. Come along and support the local Rotary Club. We have a local person doing the auction this year and Tim Scriven has organised a couple of marquees. If you prepay your Entry Fee you will be entitled to a 2 course meal for $10 per person (Adult) and this includes any person you have nominated as attending on your Entry Form. KVE will subsidise the extra $4.50. The fee for children will be $2 if you have preregistered or $7 if you haven’t preregistered. We understand that people need to be fed at some stage during the evening so decided to have the Rotary Club start serving at 6pm. If possible it would be great if all who are attending could have eaten their main course by 7pm and then dessert will be served. We are aiming to commence the official proceedings at 7.30pm sharp. I would prefer people to give us an idea of numbers attending so we can provide accurate numbers prior to the event. You will be required to pay for this upon arrival and will be given tickets.

The Sunday evening Carvery meal at the Corowa RSL Club is always a great night. A booking has already been made but we need confirmation of numbers also. It is always good to encourage people to stay until the Monday so they can come along to this function. The cost at the moment is $18 per adult and $7.50 per child.

Programme of events – updated information
Tuesday 10th March: Visit to Bandiana
Visit the Tooles Disposals Warehouse from 10.00am until 1.00pm
1.00pm: Visit The Army Museum Bandiana

Wednesday 11th March: School visit. The convoy will depart Ball Park at 9.45am
We are looking for a selection of vehicles to take to the Corowa Primary School at 10am. We have offered to give the children a chance to have a look at and hear some information from owners about your vehicles. There will be a list placed at the Site Office for participants to put their vehicle and name on so we get a selection of vehicles attend this event. If possible prepare a 5 minute talk on your vehicle and its use in the war.

Thursday 12th March: Trip to Maurice Wilson’s property
We have been invited again to Maurice Wilson’s property on the outskirts of Corowa. This would be an ideal location if the amphibious vehicles were able to do a trip down the river. The road run will depart from Corowa Airport at 10am. Feel free to pack some lunch. Demonstration and talk on the Ozamphibian Platypus. Take a look at the website www.ozamphibian.com

Friday 13th March: Trip to Milawa:
The current agenda is as follows:
• 8.00-8.30 Depart Corowa
• 9.00-9.30 Arrive Milawa
• 9.30 Small parade through Milawa to primary school
• 10.00 Visit Milawa primary school – activities and answer children’s questions
• 11.30 Cheese factory/art gallery - cheese tasting and grab a bite to eat
• 12.30 Mustard shop – taste different kinds of mustards
• 13.00 EV olives – taste olives and olive oils and bring a container to fill up if you
want to buy some olive oil
• 14.00 Brown Brothers
• 15.30 Depart Milawa

Special thanks to Sue and Leon Heynders for organising the agenda.

Friday 13th March: Talk by Major Graham Docksey at Corowa Airport
Commencing now at 7.00pm instead of 5.30pm.
Graham will provide participants with information on various topics including:
• Practical Demonstration: with tac signs and weapons
• Information on the Army History Unit Australia
• Information on the Army Museum at Bandiana
• Information on Graham’s Tours of Gallipoli

Saturday 14th March: Parade, Swap Meet and other activities
Saturday is the main day of activities commencing with a parade departing from near Bangerang Park at 9am sharp.

With the large number of vehicles likely to be present we may need more assistance with the line up of vehicles prior to the parade. To make things easier make sure you register in at the Site Office during the week and place your vehicle number on your front windscreen or bumper bar. This is the easiest way for us to get a vehicle list together after the event. For those arriving on the Saturday morning make sure you go directly to the line up and see me for your vehicle number. If you pay your entry fee you will receive a vehicle certificate of attendance.
After the parade, follow directions for parking your vehicle so we can obtain a group photo of the vehicles. We hope to have a number of marshals assisting us with this task. If you are able to help please let me know.

The Corowa Rotary Club will be running the Swap Meet again in 2009. Please abide by their regulations and do not start selling until 9.45am, once the parade vehicles have been displayed. It will cost $5 per site and they will have lots of food available. It is advisable to bring along some shade if you are having a stall at the Swap Meet. KVE will have a site at the Swap Meet and this will be your last opportunity to complete your Voting Forms where you can nominate people for awards and make suggestions for the Theme for 2013 and the Friday trip in 2010.
The arena will be set up again near the airport for vehicle activities.

Saturday 14th March: Dinner, Auction and Presentations
Come and support the Dinner, Auction and presentations on Saturday evening. The Corowa Rotary Club will be providing a 2 course meal from 6pm. I would appreciate people letting me know if they are attending the dinner ASAP. (Refer back to the section ‘News on Meal Functions’.)The Auction and Presentations will commence at 7.30pm. There is bound to be a combination of items of interest.

Contributions to our KVE Newsletter
We are after articles for our next newsletter so if you are a member or a participant and have anything you would like to contribute please forward to kveinc@optusnet.com.au
This newsletter is intended to go out to members of KVE along with past, present and future participants of the Annual GPA Swim-In and ex-Military Vehicle Gathering at Corowa, NSW, Australia. Let’s spread the word to people throughout Australia and the world about how great this event is!

Joining KVE Inc
To be apart of the organising of the Swim-In in the future you are welcome to join KVE Inc. You can download a Membership Application Form off the website or ask me for a copy. We will be having a meeting at Corowa on Sunday 15th March so you are welcome to attend.
With only 6 weeks until the event I hope the restoration of your vehicles is going well. If you don’t quite make it there this year we look forward to seeing you there next year.

Until next time,
Jan Thompson - Secretary
Research & Development

Last edited by Jan Thompson; 05-02-09 at 09:46.
Old 11-02-09, 23:52

Quote:
The 2nd KVE Newsletter is now out and there are lots of updates. Ben will be putting it on the KVE Website as well. If you haven't received your email copy of the newsletter please forward me an email to put you on the database for future Corowa updates.

Jan has just asked me to point out that the 2nd KVE Newsletter is now on the www.corowaswim-in.org website.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 12-02-09, 02:15
www.REMLR.com

The civic reception on thursday, any particular dress code for that?
Old 12-02-09, 10:07
Ian Williams

Default I WILL BE THERE / I will return? /Jan & the noticeboard

Hello................ DID Someone mention Corowa???

All going well, I will get to meet many of you in FOR REAL..... TAKE note: SITE 172 Ball park.. Stopping at Holbrook Thursday night as I will be knackered driving to there.. It has a pool... nice.... then on to Alb-Wod. then Corowa on the Friday...

I am adding a picture so you know what to look for.. Beer/coke/chat Is optional.

What does everyone think of a blackboard for contacting others? One at Ball Van park & one at the airport? Jan wants to know... I think its a great idea.

Buying click-click chairs tomorrow.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Car & vansorrento.jpg  

F15A,
2x Army Land Rover 88' sIIA's
GPW
Other stuff
Old 12-02-09, 11:09
Corowa Project 30

The dress will be smart casual or wear a tie if you choose. Normal RSL rules would apply.
Research & Development
Old 12-02-09, 18:24
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Tie

Quote:
The dress will be smart casual or wear a tie if you choose. Normal RSL rules would apply.
I wonder how many people going to the swim-in in the past 30 years have actually packed a tie in their kit.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern