MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 15-01-08, 20:30

Default Odd tunic

I just bought a bunch of Battle Dress's...and among them were 2 odd balls...one is a 1943 Canadian Army Cadet Jacket...very differant than a Battle Dress...however...

The Jacket I refer to in the title is a 1956 Canadian Army issue "Militia Rangers" ( thats what the lable reads, and it is Military issue) jacket...looks a lot like a 4 pocket hunting Jacket...anyone ever heard of these????

Also found a box that said...balk 19 set parts..so I grabbed some..not sure if they are though.

Dean
Old 16-01-08, 01:27

Default Odd Balls

Here's my take:
a. I'll stand by to be corrected, but I don't believe the Cadet movement in this Country started until post-war. Could you describe the jacket?
b. Your "hunting jacket" sounds about the right era to be a Bush Jacket. Of dubious utility in the field, but sure looked snappy in Garrison. (good ridance)
c. "balk 19 set parts" could you have meant "bulk", and if so, could you describe the parts for the benefit of our resident 19 set whizzos?

Cheers
Old 16-01-08, 01:50

Both Army and Air Cadets existed during WW2
The Rangers Jacket is not a bush jacket...wrong shape, colour and design...not to metion the lable..

Dean
Old 16-01-08, 05:13
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean (Ajax)
Both Army and Air Cadets existed during WW2
The Rangers Jacket is not a bush jacket...wrong shape, colour and design...not to metion the lable..

Dean
Yes, Air and Army Cadets were formed in 1941 to provide feedstock to the cannon fodder of WW11.

Dean...pictures, please. If you dunno how to post, e-mail to Sunray, with a "Pretty Please" attached.

So...contents of "bulk" 19 set parts???????
Old 16-01-08, 05:44
Addicted to Drab

Default Militia Rangers jacket

Hi Dean

The Militia jacket, is it a light tan/khaki color? about 3/4 length made of heavy duck or canvas? If it is it may be one of the jackets that were issued to the PCMR. Pacific Coast Militia Rangers. A group that were mustered for the Japanese threat in WW2.
Regardless of the date inside. Could have been continued as to meet the post war Rangers requirements after the conflict ended.

A pic is worth a thousand words...

cheers

Mike in Windsor
Old 16-01-08, 22:32

Mike T, that discription is bang on!

I gotta find the cord for my camera that fits into the computer..If I can do that perhaps I can post photos.

Thank you Guys
Old 16-01-08, 23:40

Default Uniforms

Regarding the two uniform items that you are discussing, the first is indeed a Canadian Army Jacket and they were issued from WWII until at least 1950. It seems that a large number of these Jackets as well as BD Tunics, all surplus and I believe held in war reserve, were sent to The Netherlands in the early 1950s to help provide emergency clothing to flood victoms. Here are some images from the two Cadet Jackets in my collection.

The other jacket that you discuss was indeed issued to the Army adter WWII and was a copy of the jacket used by the PCMR. My Father who served in the RCE from 1954 until 1982 remembers them being issued in the 1950s and 1960s and he refers to the jacket as a 'bone dry'. I have one of these Jackets as well as the Trousers in my collection and when I find it I will photograph it. I also have some photographs of the Jacket in use and I will post one or two in a following message.
Old 17-01-08, 05:14

Thanks Ed..I am going through the stuff I bought over the past year and am finding lost of oddball bits...didn't have time then as I was working on 2 films back to back..have some time now so perhaps I can work out what some of the stuff is...lots of radio bits..Military..but don't know much about that sort of stuff.

I hope I can make the show and bring some of the stuff out..rather someone that can use it have it..than it sitting in my garage.

Dean
Old 17-01-08, 05:43
RIP

Default Militia Rangr Jacket

Dean, I know the jacket that you have. It was issued in Fort Churchill in the 1950s To CANADIAN RANGERS who were part of the Militia. It looked like a duck shooting jacket made of the same heavy duck material in a marsh brown colour. It was unlined and had all he pockets similar to a shooting jacket. They weren't too practical for the Rangers for winter wear due to colour & being unlined & the colour wasn't even that good for the Arctic tundra but obviously someone in Ottawa had a relative in the needle trades, need I say more????

Bill Spence MacDuff Piper
Old 17-01-08, 14:58

Thank you William, thats the jacket, spot on!

Great info as I knew of the PCMR during the War...but nothing about after.

DEan