MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 24-02-05, 01:34
Dave Demorrow

Default transmission question

would another kind of transmission fit the rear end of a U/C?
if you dont have a trans could you use a truck trans from a ford flathead? i may have a carrier hull without a trans or eng setup coming, any sugestions.
thanks
dave
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 24-02-05, 06:44
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The Carrier trans is essentially the same as the Flathead Truck trans, and similar to the Ford CMP gearbox. The main differences are the style of output shaft to mate up with whatever substitutes for a driveshaft (different on different types of carrier), and the shifter lever is replaced with an odd "Bow and Arrow" shaped shaft to connect with with the shift linkage, and the rear bearing retainer-cum-rear mount. So even if you find a generic Ford truck trans in good condition, you will still need the Carrier specific add-ons to make it go in without ugly backyard engineering.
Old 25-02-05, 09:18
In Vino Veritas

Default Tranny

My carrier tranny was solid and rather pitted when I got it freed up. My flathead 8 came out of a late 40's, 4 speed grain truck with transmission attached, and except for output and input shafts was spot on in the interior. The case is a little different but usable but the shift tower had to be reused from the carrier although the shift forks detent springs and balls are exactly the same. The truck tranny case has zerk grease fittings for greasing the clutch fork shaft and I reused the greasable carrier clutch fork bearing , though I had to drill the bell housing on the tranny to mount the carrier grease fitting.
I did have to remove the end of the truck transmission with the parking brake attachment. It looked like it would not be able to come out because the layers of grease , but once I scraped it down it actually did come apart and resembled the carrier case. Then I had to take the round mounting disc/circle/mount ,that mates to the carrier axle and ensures alignment , off and put it on the truck's tranny housing...even the bolts were the same thread and length.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff