MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 31-05-20, 02:24

Hanno, and Alex van der Wetering.
Questions have been asked about Bill Gregg's vehicle book.
Hopefully, this will help.

This cover is the first edition.

A few seconds reading of the introduction page explains what Dr. Gregg was up to.

Long story, short..
An original data book was copied, page by page, on a large format film negative. He insisted on maximum quality.
Thus the page numbers are correct.

He also explains why some of the original, crappy quality photo's were replaced.
Mistakes were made, such as the photo on page 61 is probably not a 15cwt.

I would just add, this was pre-computer and pre-internet days, and the very beginnings of the CMP restoration movement in Canada. He was doing pioneering work.
Attached Thumbnails
Bill Gregg Vehicle Book.jpg   Bill Gregg Vehicle Book 4.jpg   Bill Gregg Vehicle Book 5.jpg   Bill Gregg Vehicle Book 3.jpg   Bill Gregg Vehicle Book 2 (1).jpg  

Old 01-06-20, 13:08

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the additional info on the first edition of Bill Greggs book and the explanation on how the book came to life.

I hope I didn't give you the impression I was critisising Bill Greggs book, as I definately didn't mean to.....it has a prime spot here next to the publications of Bart VanderVeen, David Hayward, Clive and also Nigel Watson.
I do agree that one or two pictures in the book don't match the vehicles in question though, but it's a book that, like Bart's Fighting Vehicle directory, I take from the book shelf almost weekly.
Old 02-06-20, 01:02

Alex van de Wetering,
No problem, constructive criticism, like yours, is valid and useful.
With the passage of time, over 40 years...!, just wanted to clarify a few points.
I too, refer to it regularly.
Cheers,
Dennis.