MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-02-05, 20:30

Default Jeep colours

All,

One last bothersome question For now...

Was wondering about jeep paint colour, I'm not going to ask about shade, as that is alwasy a subjective question What I'm wondering is about their pant colour in reference to the camoflauge schemes in use at the time.

When manufactured for the US Military they were producted in Lustreless Olive Drab. When built for Canadian/British contracts, were they painted the same colour, or did the Commonwealth armies specify a different colour?

If the jeeps were delivered in Lustreless OD, were they re-painted in whatever was the standard base colour, or was the camouflage colour applied over the OD?

I've seen photos of jeeps in MME and other disruptive schemes, but in B&W photos it's hard to tell base colour, as we all know. I've checked out Milfax, and although there is great info on there I don't know if the Jeep would fall under the same guidelines for base colour.

One last question, if they were re-painted by the Brits upon recipt, were they just oversprayed with the jeep staying together, or were they taken apart to be re-painted? Thinking of pics of modern vehs like Hummvees that you see the sand painted on the outside, but the OD can be seen in the engine compartment or other inside panels.

Thanks a bunch!

Tim