MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 07-01-14, 01:31

Default Paint Identification Problem

I have run across a type of paint finish on my RCA AR88LF Receiver that I know I have seen before on some other electronics built in the 1930's and 1940's, but I do not know if this finish has a formal name. At first glance, it looks like the common wrinkle/crinkle finish we have all seen sooner or later on various pieces of MV, electronic or aviation equipment, both pre and post war, but this finish I have ever only seen in black.

Typical wrinkle/crinkle has a very uniform texture to it and has the feel of fine grit sandpaper to the touch. It also takes on a silver or grey sheen on the black paints under certain lighting conditions.

My AR88 and speaker were reconditioned in 1957. To my eye, the paint finish on these two parts is undoubtedly fine, black wrinkle. My problem has arisen since the arrival of a second, NOS RCA Speaker assembly for the AR88, with factory original 1944 paint.

The feel of this paint finish is far smoother than the wrinkle finish of the other two items. Depending on the lighting, this paint looks either like a black granite composed of 3 or 4 mm crystals, or like a well grained black leather.

Hopefully the following pictures may help explain the differences. The first one shows the side of the reconditioned speaker and AR88 cabinet with the fine wrinkle black paint. The second is the same speaker showing the original black paint on the inside of the speaker case. The 3rd photo is the NOS speaker on the cabinet, but it is hard to see the larger crystal/leather look of the speaker paint. The last photo is a closeup of the bottom of the NOS speaker, hopefully clarifying the larger crystal/leather texture to the paint.

Can anyone help ID what type of paint or finish this is? It is so unique at the moment, I would love to be able to recreate it on the AR88 cabinet when I redo it. It really pops when put next to the traditional (for lack of a better word) black wrinkle finish.

David
Attached Thumbnails
RCA Speaker 2.jpg   RCA Speaker 3.jpg   AR88LF Speaker1 copy.jpg   AR88LF Speaker3 copy.jpg  
Old 07-01-14, 11:50
Bluebell

David, you may still be able to buy the paint. It was also found on Jeep and Dodge WWII military voltage regulators.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 08-01-14, 01:29

That is good news, Lynn. I was a bit concerned that if the paint was something unique to the electronics industry, it might be a real challenge tracking down information about it and it's availability today.

We seem to be at a point in time where so many manufacturing companies from days gone are either out of business or have been recycled so many times, their history is completely lost. Even the companies that are still surviving have lost so many of their older employees now, their history is disappearing as well.

Having this paint show up in the automotive industry will hopefully increase the chances it will still be available.

Cheers for now,

David
Old 08-01-14, 01:41

Default paint

this type of paint is still on the market, the texture will be different from one item to the next or the worker doing the application, this is one of those products that reading the instructions means everything , this type of paint requires a heavy coat to create the wrinkle effect, hope this helps,
regards Frank
Old 08-01-14, 04:26

Franks.

That's good news. Any idea who makes it or what it's called? All the local paint suppliers around here seem to come up with are the typical cans of common wrinkle/crinkle finish.

Interesting about the thickness of application required to get the proper effect. Where the original paint has chipped on the inside of my speaker, it is noticeably thick and I suspect the original paint finish is buried under the reconditioned wrinkle paint on the AR88LF cabinet I have, as it has very thick paint overall.

David
Old 08-01-14, 12:02
Bluebell

David, it goes on smooth then crinkles as it dries.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 08-01-14, 17:20

Hi Lynn.

It is an interesting paint. I have used the 'traditional' black wrinkle to restore a couple of electronic items in the past, where the original finish was the typical uniform distribution of wrinkles.

This darned paint finish used on the RCA AR88 stuff has me stumped with it's unusual pattern. It is almost as if the black paint was sprayed on and before it set up, an overspray of oil or solvent was applied quickly, causing a pattern of small beads of paint to form with different drying rates. I am beginning to wonder if the result is not so much in the paint, but in the hands of the craftsman applying it.

David
Old 08-01-14, 22:22
Bluebell

Sorry David, that's all I know.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 08-01-14, 22:38

Default Eastwood has the black crinkle paint

Hi All

Probably lots of places that have it but this is the one I remembered.

http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=crinkle%20paint

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 09-01-14, 00:03

Default Check Crappy Tires or Home Despot.....

Both stores chains carry some kinds of wrinkled finish...... the actual end product will vary with ambient temperature and various coating technics...heavy ligth time spent between coats, etc.

But while you are on speakers....... is it possible to match speakers to the WS 19 output and where do/would they connect......?

Bob C.
Canada