MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 06-03-04, 07:19

Question Canadian Churchill VII question

I am building a WWII 1/35 scale diorama and i built a churchill VII Crocodile and plan to paint it as a canadian churchill.

So here is my question:
What regiments/ divisons used Churchill VIIs and where in europe. I was going to do the 1st Canadian tank divison (calgary tanks) but after reading a book about the canadian armoured corps, calgary tanks were in dieppe(they were Churchill IIs and IIIS, so that wont dew), and sicily. Where churchill VIIs used in sicily? Were Calgary tanks in western europe? I know Calgary tanks used the Churchill VII Crocodile because there is one at the museum of regiments.

Also the german figures that came with my pak 40 and hanomage have gas maske cases on their back, gas was not used during WWII so were these not worn during the later years?
Old 06-03-04, 13:42
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

I'm afraid you're out of luck ref a Canadian Churchill VII. By 1943, all Canadian armoured regiments had converted, first to the Ram and then to the Sherman. The Churchill VII infantry tank was used by several British regiments in both Italy and NW Europe, while all of the 'Funnies', including the Crocodile, were under the broad umbrella of the British 79th Armoured Division and used throughout 21st Army Group wherever required.
Old 06-03-04, 15:19
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Canadian Churchill VII question

Quote:
Originally posted by t3488g
I know Calgary tanks used the Churchill VII Crocodile because there is one at the museum of regiments. Also the german figures that came with my pak 40 and hanomage have gas maske cases on their back, gas was not used during WWII so were these not worn during the later years?
Ref: Calgary tanks used the Churchill VII Crocodile - No Canadian Armoured Corps Regiment were ever equipped with the Crocodile - Geoff is right, by 1943 the Churchill Infantry Tanks had passed out of Canadian service, being replaced by Ram and then, Sherman - which were used through Sicily-Italy-NW Europe.

Ref: gas mask case - was part of the basic German web equipment throughout the war.

Cheers
Old 06-03-04, 16:29
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Canadian Churchill VII question

Quote:
I know Calgary tanks used the Churchill VII Crocodile because there is one at the museum of regiments.
Just a bit of a followup reference The Calgary Regiment (Tank) - Dieppe and Crocodile equipment - the regiment did have three Churchills at Dieppe that were fitted with the 'Oke' flame-throwing device - but the 'Oke' equipment is not the flaming equipment that the Crocodile was fitted with. The 'Oke' equipment used at Dieppe was a prototype only.

Cheers
Old 06-03-04, 19:33

from the museaum of the regiments web page:

The Churchill on display in our vehicle park is a Mk-Vll Crocodile (has hull mounted flame thrower).

the site can be found here:
http://www.museumoftheregiments.ca/main/ex_tk.php
Old 06-03-04, 20:36
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
from the museaum of the regiments web page:

The Churchill on display in our vehicle park is a Mk-Vll Crocodile (has hull mounted flame thrower).

the site can be found here:
http://www.museumoftheregiments.ca/main/ex_tk.php
Yes, but the Regiment never used them. This is easily documented; however, like ALL Canadian regiments in Northwest Europe, they were supported by Crocs from the 79th Armoured Division. In addtion, particularly in Normandy, many Canadian infantry attacks were supported by Mk.VII Churchill from British regiments, given that our two armies were side-by-side and interdependent. Our Kangaroos are another example of this interdependence.

After Dieppe, Canadians took NO Churchills to war.

BTW, do you have a name? We here at MLU prefer to refer to each other by name rather than by some coded internet moniker.

Cheers!

Geoff
Old 07-03-04, 16:32
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Canadian Churchill VII question

Quote:
I know Calgary tanks used the Churchill VII Crocodile because there is one at the museum of regiments.
I have no idea why the tank (Churchill Croc) on display at the Museum of the Regiments bares the markings of the Calgary Regiment, this is something you'll have to ask their curator about.

Note regarding Crocodile equipped Regiments:

In Italy:

51st Battalion, Royal Tank Regiment (two squadrons only) - from April 1945

In North-West Europe:

141st (The Buffs) Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps - from June 1944

1st Fife and Forfar Yeomanry - from October 1944

7th Battalion, Royal Tank Regiment - from March 1945

The above were the only Regiments which were equipped with and operated the Churchill Crocodile in both Italy and NW Europe during the period of the Second World War - Note - they are all British Regiments.

Cheers
Old 30-03-04, 17:00
Mild Steel Prototype

A tangential question - Were any Canadian units equipped with Churchills post-war, say in the late 1940s/early 1950s? Is there a good history or reference on Canadian armor up to the Korean war years?
Old 30-03-04, 17:26

This is the diabolo with the maple leaf carried by the Churchills of 25 Tank Brigade (North Irish Horse, 51 RTR and 142 (Suffolk) Regiment RAC) in Italy which they were asked to wear by 1 Canadian Infantry Division in remembrance of the good relationships established in the fighting for the Hitler Line in May 1944.
Attached Images