MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 02-10-23, 19:29

Pulled the wiring loom cover from the steering tube. Just look at that lovely khaki green #3.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0198.jpeg   IMG_0199.jpeg   IMG_0200.jpeg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 02-10-23, 19:33

I also removed the instrument panel/dash. I’m thinking it’s the first time in a long long time it’s been out of the vehicle. Bruce Parker,on his last visit over, suggested I might get lucky and the mileage numbers inside the speedometer would still be present. Well when I pulled it apart they were. Checking out the mileage on the speedometer seems to show 13,719.8 miles.I didn’t think it would be this high but then again they did sever with the Dutch forces for a close to 30years after the war. My thoughts are the Dutch drove it the most.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0201.jpeg   IMG_0202.jpeg   IMG_0203.jpeg   IMG_0204.jpeg   IMG_0205.jpeg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 02-10-23, 19:38

Lastly I’m happy to report that the Otter is again back in the shop on solid ground this time.

Hopefully I will be able to post some more semi regular updates as work continues. The shop build continues as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0207.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 02-10-23, 22:12
MLU Administrator

Thanks for the update, Jordan. That workshop looks fabulous and it looks you will be cracking down on that Otter next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
I also removed the instrument panel/dash. I’m thinking it’s the first time in a long long time it’s been out of the vehicle. Bruce Parker,on his last visit over, suggested I might get lucky and the mileage numbers inside the speedometer would still be present. Well when I pulled it apart they were. Checking out the mileage on the speedometer seems to show 13,719.8 miles.I didn’t think it would be this high but then again they did sever with the Dutch forces for a close to 30years after the war. My thoughts are the Dutch drove it the most.
Nice find, indeed the Otters were the longest serving CMPs with the Dutch Armed Forces.
Old 03-10-23, 03:09

I got the dash fully disassembled this afternoon. I gave it good sandblast and it’s cleaned up quite nicely. Interestingly it was primed in black primer then over painted with KG#3.

The current limit relay has seen better days. I’m looking for a new one if anyone has any leads.

2.524 1997401 Relay, current limit. Per the manual it’s a 12v 30amp unit.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0331.jpg   IMG_0332.jpeg   IMG_0336.jpg   IMG_0335.jpg   IMG_0334.jpeg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 03-10-23, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Checking out the mileage on the speedometer seems to show 13,719.8 miles.I didn’t think it would be this high but then again they did sever with the Dutch forces for a close to 30years after the war. My thoughts are the Dutch drove it the most.
The other day I was talking to an acquaintance who asked me if I knew anything about the Otter armoured car. This, it turned out, because when he was conscripted in the Dutch Army ca. the early 60s, he spent 16 months in Suriname (which was a Dutch colony/overseas dependency until 1975) having the time of his life. They apparently went on long patrols in the jungle, up to three weeks at a time, and had Otter armoured cars. I’m not sure he meant they did those patrols with the Otters, but I suppose they must have come on at least some. That would probably get quite some distance on them, anyway.
Old 03-10-23, 11:42
MLU Administrator

Default Otters in Surinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakko Westerbeke View Post
The other day I was talking to an acquaintance who asked me if I knew anything about the Otter armoured car. This, it turned out, because when he was conscripted in the Dutch Army ca. the early 60s, he spent 16 months in Suriname (which was a Dutch colony/overseas dependency until 1975) having the time of his life. They apparently went on long patrols in the jungle, up to three weeks at a time, and had Otter armoured cars. I’m not sure he meant they did those patrols with the Otters, but I suppose they must have come on at least some. That would probably get quite some distance on them, anyway.
See some period pictures of Otters in this thread: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...554#post231554
Old 04-10-23, 10:55

Ah, yes, I forgot about that thread. I’ll refer him to it, I think
Old 06-10-23, 04:17

Hi Jordan.

That relay looks bad, but it came from the era when a lot of things were rebuildable, particularly electrical items like motors, generators and a host of different types of coils.

Is there a competent electrical shop near you doing that sort of work you could take the relay to for an honest evaluation? If you could carefully clean the frame assembly and free up all the hardware, could the core and coil be repaired/rewound by them to original specs? Asking usually does not cost anything and if they think it can be saved, then you know the time you then put into cleaning it up will be worth it.

The other possibility is that the relay from the Otter may have seen usage in a lot of other GM vehicles in the 30's, 40's and 50's, as a stand alone item or built into a fancier regulator style case.

David
Old 06-10-23, 05:45

The dash rebuild is moving along nicely. The next few posts will be photo heavy with a handful of “before and afters”

First up is the dash as it looks now. The pitting was filled with some jb weld and then carved and sanded down until it was smooth again. The gauge cluster will not be the original one as it was sadly too far gone with the entire bottom portions rotted away.

The second picture is of the parts I’ve rebuilt. See the next few posts for more details on them. The circuit cut out cleaned up quite nicely after vapour blasting. I haven’t tested it yet but it’s on the list to look at.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0390.jpeg   IMG_0391.jpeg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 06-10-23, 05:48

The trouble lamp socket is a two wire version. It also has a wider face than what I’ve seen in CMP’s. It was re-plated in nickel after being vapour blasted.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0392.jpeg   IMG_0393.jpeg   IMG_0394.jpeg   IMG_0395.jpeg   IMG_0396.jpeg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 06-10-23, 05:51

Next up is the ignition switch. These are available as NOS as they were used in US built half tracks. It was carefully and fully disassembled so that the rusted parts could be cleaned up. It was given a zinc plating then buffed up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0397.jpeg   IMG_0399.jpeg   IMG_0400.jpeg   IMG_0401.jpeg   IMG_0402.jpeg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 06-10-23, 05:58

The starter push button is next up. Again this one was carefully and fully disassembled. It was quite full of rust and fire extinguisher sand. The metal parts were vapour blasted. There was too small springs, one under the brass contact and the other behind the button. Both spent over night in a rust eating solution. It wasn’t Evaporust but something similar. The body was given a zinc plating and the push button and outer retaining nut nickel plating. I still need to get the terminal screws out but they were seized. I don’t want to break the fibre board. So I’ll see how an overnight soak in the anti rust stuff helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0404.jpg   IMG_0405.jpg   IMG_0406.jpg   IMG_0407.jpg   IMG_0408.jpg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 06-10-23, 06:03

Lastly for the night.

The three terminal strip in its before state. I vapour blasted as you see it and it cleaned up almost looking new. All of the screws/nuts/washer have been zinc plated. I still need to do the metal bits clamped onto the fibre board.

The last item is a bit of a mystery. It was attached to the fuel gauge. It broke and came apart so it’s not usable. However I’m not quite sure what it is. The fine wire is tightly coiled on a fibre strip inside the assembly. If someone has any ideas I’d love to know what it does.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0409.jpg   IMG_0410.jpeg   IMG_0411.jpg   IMG_0412.jpg   IMG_0413.jpg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 06-10-23, 10:57

Default Mystery object ID

It might be a voltage reducer... One source lists the otter as 12 volt system. using a voltage reducer would permit use of a 6 volt gauge, common to other CMP... More research is needed.
A photo of a current version https://vintageautogarage.com/electr...RoC1zQQAvD_BwE is attached. They are also referred to as Runtz https://oldchevytrucks.com/catalogse...esult/?q=runtz
Attached Thumbnails
voltage reducer.jpg  
Old 06-10-23, 11:23

Otter parts list CRAC-02 lists part 862138 "adapter, fuel gauge" on page 123 (group 9.7312). There is also "adapter. heat indicator" part 1510678. I've no idea why they list 2 different adapters if they are the type of voltage reducer I'm suggesting as current practice is to use one version for low current devices like gauges and a different version for higher current devices like fan motors and radios. It seems the high current versions give bad gauge readings...

Although they don't have the * that commonly means unique to CMP in the parts list neither of those part numbers show in the 1929-1948 Chevrolet Master Parts Catalog. Also no result in GMpartswiki.com

On edit: In an effort to confirm or deny my idea, I just thought to check the part number of the fuel gauge mounted on the dash - it is the same part number as listed for the C60S. For the heat indicator, the C60S uses a mechanical gauge and the theory about voltage reducers only makes sense for an electrical version.

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 07-10-23 at 12:34.
Old 08-10-23, 22:51

Dash is coming along. The speedometer was replaced but it needed a rebuild. I also decided to reset the odometer to match what was originally removed from the Otter. The wiring junction block was also rebuilt and plated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0313.jpg   IMG_0314.jpeg   IMG_0315.jpeg   IMG_0316.jpg   IMG_0317.jpg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 13-10-23, 19:26
Bluebell

I think Grant is bang on, that it is a voltage reducer. The resistance needs to suit the load. Macs have them for individual instruments, 12 volt to 6 volt.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 16-10-23, 05:36

A “few” hours were spent sorting out the original wiring harness that I removed from the vehicle. Every wire has been tagged on both ends for what is it, the size and colour and how the wire ends in either nothing, ring, spade or a flag terminal. I did find a few differences from the wiring diagram with some of the colour tracers. I ended up writing 4 sheets of hand written notes documenting each wire that now to be typed up.

I’ve also ordered all my wires in bulk amd I will hopefully have that in a few weeks.

One interesting bit that I found. The vehicle was wired for for high/low beams, however no actual switch was provided. So the headlamps have both sets of wire at the junction terminal strips and there is two sets of wire that are at the dash terminal strip. However only the high beam has power from the headlamp switch. The other was that the harness had the wiring for two brake lights when only one was fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0442.jpg   IMG_0443.jpeg   IMG_0444.jpeg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 20-10-23, 17:27

While waiting for the wire order to arrive I figured I may as well build what I can with what I’ve got. It’s not much but it’s a start. The original wiring was well beyond saving. The covering simply crumbles away. I was also given the chance to go over an original harness that was NOS. This proved invaluable.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0466.jpeg   IMG_0467.jpeg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 20-10-23, 22:05
Junior Password Gnome

If you can borrow the NOS harness again, is it worth making up a wiring board so you can get all the individual lengths correct and lace it up/add sleeving before fitting it to the vehicle?

Chris.
(I suppose it depends on how much workshop space is available.)
Old 21-10-23, 05:12

Workshop space I have. However that harness is in England in an Otter. I did some detailed drawings and pictures of it though. I was also fortunate that my original harness is pretty intact. So I’ll be making up a board with it to layout the new one. Only a few ends were bits were cut from it.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 22-10-23, 19:49

About 1.5hrs of work to get this inner left foot well panel removed. Hamilton Bridge used a lot of round headed slot machine screws. 80years later they can be a challenge to remove. Most had the slot completely covered in layers of paint. I found using a box cutter and slim slotted screw driver worked well for cleaning the slot. I then tried out my new Milwaukee M18 impact driver. Wow I am impressed. It has different speed settings then automatically adjusts the torque and speed once it senses the bolt or nut is backing out. I found this really helpful in keeping the slotted bit from slipping out of the screw.

I was also fortunate that the original junction blocks were still present. It should clean up quite nicely similar to the one on the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0472.jpeg   IMG_0474.jpeg   IMG_0475.jpeg   IMG_0476.jpeg   IMG_0477.jpeg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 27-10-23, 07:50

With the removal of the foot well parts I decided to sandblast them prior to getting the dents and damage removed from them. It’s just nicer working with clean parts. There was a pile of crud to remove prior to blasting. This was composed of the usual dried oil/grease and road dirt along with a pile of fire extinguisher sand and a few Dutch repaints over the original paint work. It was great to see all the original factory applied Khaki Green #3.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0487.jpeg   IMG_0488.jpeg   IMG_0490.jpeg   IMG_0486.jpeg   IMG_0484.jpeg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 27-10-23, 08:07

The sandblasting of these part’s probably took about 6-7 hours in my cabinet over a few nights work. An interesting find was the cast steering tube support bracket was originally painted in KG#3. The other item I found interesting is that the two dome headed countersunk screws featured external star washers under the heads. This was documented in a General Motors Service Information Bulletin.

Lastly I vapour blasted a few of the more delicate parts. The wiring junctions blocks cleaned up quite nicely. All of the metal parts were removed from the fibre backing and plated as previously described.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0480.jpg   IMG_0481.jpeg   IMG_0482.jpeg   IMG_0491.jpeg   IMG_0492.jpeg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 28-10-23, 03:42

Before and after. This panel had been crushed by the engine hitting it when the Otter was rolled. The doubled up edge had been crushed and the whole side curved. Managed to get it all straightened out. No heat. Just an adjustable wrench, shop press and lots of steel blocking and hammer work.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0496.jpg   IMG_0497.jpeg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 31-10-23, 04:08

The post office had a nice delivery for me this morning of my bulk wire order. Now I can start making all new wiring for the Otter. First up was to finish the wiring for the dash. This section was made up of a number of separate wire jumpers to all the lighting toggle switches. I also made up the wire for the fuel gauge to the fuel gage switch and the wires for the trouble lamp socket. Thankfully the original wiring was mostly complete for determining how all the connections were made and lengths of wire.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0523.jpg   IMG_0524.jpg   IMG_0525.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 31-10-23, 04:11

I also replaced the original wire on the fuel tank sender wires. These units were NOS items in great shape. I just do not trust 80 plus year old wiring. However I was able to reuse all of the original connections. It’s interesting to see the production differences in the original connectors compared to the new made ones.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0526.jpg   IMG_0527.jpeg   IMG_0528.jpg   IMG_0529.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 31-10-23, 04:28
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Nice work

Looking neat . You have an eye for detail that's for sure.

I am always looking for these old electrical connectors at auto swap meets or ham radio fests. Usually they are $1 or $2 for a box full .

Years ago, Bill Drew had a big stack of NOS Chev CMP main wiring harnesses, wrapped up in sealed boxes. I did buy one, the rest of them would have been scrapped along with the other treasures.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 10-11-23, 04:49

Removed the crankcase breather tube tonight. Sadly it had been crushed when the Otter rolled and the engine hit the hull. But this will provide a nice pattern to make a new one. Also comparing some very NOS khaki green#3 painted parts that had been sealed to the dash paint. I’m quite happy with how close the new paint is. Lastly got a nice ignition switch lever to replace the badly pitted one.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0708.jpeg   IMG_0709.jpeg   IMG_0711.jpeg   IMG_0712.jpeg   IMG_0713.jpeg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer