MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 31-01-09, 07:44

Default Paint colours

I have a 1952 CDN M37. This truck was my daily driver for several years in the lower mainland and now it is time to do some work to it. I want to paint it but I don't know what colour. I would like to paint it a original colour for a CDN truck. What colour would tha be? Does anyone have any pics? What differant colour schemes were there?

Cheers
Shawn085
Old 01-02-09, 06:38

I found this online. Anyone else have some pics or ideas/info?
Attached Thumbnails
176-7655_IMG.JPG   176-7680_IMG.JPG  
Old 01-02-09, 21:17

Default Original paint.

The original paint colour for all M series vehicles was 24087, Aervoe
Love drab semi gloss. Cdn 1, 2 and 3 series jeeps came in this colour and were camo painted at a Base level. Rob Love can probably confirm this.
Never saw an M 37 painted in that camo style.

P Simundson
Old 02-02-09, 23:30
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Early three colour camouflage

Hi Shawn:

What you have posted is a modern interpretation of the early three colour camouflage. I will have to go back into my photo albums and other sources but I don't recall them ever having the soft sprayed edges, only hard edges as we used hand brushes to put the paint on.

The colours were OD, black and, depending on where the vehicle was posted, a very pale greenish grey (as seen in your photos, which I am familiar with from my childhood in Germany); a tan colour (used primarily on the prairies and not personally seen by me); or the "pea" green you frequently see spoken of on these fora (which I personally painted on way too many vehicles getting them ready for the GOC's inspection!).

Frequently, the camouflage colours less the matt OD, were painted over the semi-gloss OD so the vehicle had the unusual aspect you see in your posted photo where two colours are matt and one is semi-gloss!

Mobile Command decals are appropriate to that period though we normally applied them to plates screwed to the grill so they were easily visible.

I recently re-found (you have to see my basement to understand that statement) my original painting instructions from when I was Transport Officer of 2 RCHA in the early 1980's. I'll see what we can do with Jiff to post them onto the MLU website as an open source document for us all to enjoy.

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 03-02-09, 21:49
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn085 View Post
I found this online.
Online as in here.