MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 20-02-03, 11:53

Lightbulb Any info to help restoration of Ford O1A

I acquired a genuine Canadian 1940 military spec. Ford Fordor O1A(F) several years ago which although 'up and running' required some TLC to restore to original. I have now amassed the required missing bits, including a correct 3 part cast grill to replace the '39 deluxe pressed version fitted at some stage in its life. See photo.

The interior was leathercloth on all panels including headliner with hide seats. All panels and headliner have now been retrimmed although seats were 'fed and salvaged'. Currently all window felts and trim are being replaced before I move into tidying the engine bay.

I have not as yet attempted to find any trace of original markings on the vehicle although I will look in the obvious places during external preparation. Div. signs shown on the photos are magnetic and were done for a small event it attended in the guise of 2 Canadian Div., Calgary Highlanders as of end '40 when they arrived in the UK.

What I really would like is any relevant Drivers Handbook or manuals relevant to the vehicle plus information or photographs of on'e in service within the UK or Europe. I have only found 1 decent photo of one in service 'somewhere in England' which is attached. Can anyone out there help?

Ian
Old 20-02-03, 12:56
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Pic...

Here's your pic, Ian:

Name:  ford_01af_-_uk.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  40.1 KB
Old 24-02-03, 11:17

Default Photo of Ford 01A

Still trying to master what should be a simple operation according to Geoff's instructions.

If it has worked I have attached a photo of my vehicle in its current state.

Ian

Click image for larger version

Name:	\'40 o1a 2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	44
Old 19-05-14, 11:54

Default Ford 01A(F) Complete after 12 years!

Having collected most parts to do the restoration the task was to wait a further 10 year and two other restorations before the Ford, official title LC424-C-PASS-1 was be back on the road.

Unfortunately it was in a sad internal state when purchase with the fabrikoid trim tattered and torn and the front hide seat back having a large tear due to drying out completely. Interior has now faithfully been replaced as per the original with only the original rear seat back and swab surviving. Chassis and body work were in excellent condition as was the prime mechanics although all ignition electrics and a total rewire was undertaken.

The gem, found tucked up between the leather covering of the front seat base and the hessian spring protection, was an original Ford Windsor 1940 Drivers Handbook for the vehicle with the following information written in pencil on the inside page:
W.D.VEHICLE
C.M. 195242
PTE DICKSON J.
B84077
E SECTION

Ed Storey has done a quick search and 'J. Dickson' served with the 1st. MTVRD (Motor Transport Vehicle Reception Depot) RCASC, which I assume was here in the UK, anyone got any info on this unit and where it was located?

I will post some more photos but attach one on its first outing yesterday in its nearly complete guise in the markings of the Calgary Highlanders/2nd Canadian Division of late 40/41 in the UK. If I can get more info on the 1st. MTVRD I already sense a unit change coming up!

Ian

Name:  IMG_3077 - Copy.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  100.1 KB
Old 19-05-14, 22:30
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Ford

Wow, that is a beauty!

Congratulations on finishing it, and to find the original handbook... with the vehicle's identity... unbelievable.

Looking forward to seeing more images, particularly of the interior.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 20-05-14, 12:34

Default Very nice

Gday Ian

Good show! Fabulous looking vehicle...

12 years...it does slip away doesnt it?

Some photo's under the bonnet would be great as well.

Before the restoration started too?
Old 20-05-14, 22:00

Ian,

Excellent! I have a soft spot for early Staff cars. Well done on the resto!

But, how and in what state did you find this gem?

Finding the handbook along with details on the previous owner is indeed unique.....and I love the fact that it is an original Staff car, not a recently militarized civvy car.

Normandy?

Alex
Old 21-05-14, 01:29
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian McCallum View Post
. . . anyone got any info on this unit and where it was located?
Ian;

- Serial 277, the 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC, was embodied (at Toronto, Ontario, in Military District No. 2) effective 1 September 1939, and was disbanded in the UK, effective 10 June 1943.

- Serial 277, the 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC, went overseas in Convoy T.C. 3, and disembarked over the period of 8/9 February 1940, and was established at Bordon Camp, Hampshire, UK, where they remained until disbanded in June 1943.

Also, the formation sign should have the ‘CII’ device (in black) in the centre of the maple leaf, for late 1940/1941. An example of the ‘CII’ device is attached, and also one ‘in use’ image (left fender of the carrier)

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Attached Images

Old 25-05-14, 21:57

Default Re: 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the info on the MTVRD, much more than I ever anticipated! I take it the 277 serial would be on RCASC diagonal colours of red and green? Have you any idea what formation they were actually attached to/part of? I definitely now need to redo the markings as not only do I have the correct vehicle number but at the moment 50% of the correct unit ID's. If only dear old 'Pte. J. Dickson' could complete the story. I have actually emailed Library and Archives Canada hoping for some info on either the individual or the unit.

Re the Canadian Second Div sign my efforts were not complete at the time of the photo attached in the last message and now have the 'CII'' added although unfortunately in Blue as that was what I assumed it was from the old B&W photos used for reference!

Believe it or not our route from East Anglia to Portsmouth takes us past Bordon and you can even see the old REME facilities as you drive past that comprises the original wartime depot. Certainly a photo shoot opportunity not to be missed. Ford 'bug' etchings on the window glass have a variety of dates from 12-39 with the last being 5-40 meaning this vehicle would not have atrrived in the UK until probably 3rd quarter 1940. Also of course where did it go after 1st. MTVRD disbanded? We do know it was released from service and first registered for civilian use in West Riding in June '47 although I have no details of owners until 1986.

Still have to take some decent shots of the interior in daylight but will send some 'before and after' shots in a separate mail.

Again many thanks and any more info on the unit or photos of these vehicles in service very much appreciated.

Yours Aye,

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3101.JPG  
Old 26-05-14, 00:26

Default Some interior 'Before and After' shots

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing more images, particularly of the interior.
Sorry for the delay in responding.

Attach a few shots to give an idea of what it was like interior wise. Very poor condition ut at least complete so had all the patterns. As said previously fabrikoid was well past it, very brittle and lots of tears plus at some time in service it had also been overpainted green.

All photos were taken inside the garage and do not really give the best image of what it looks like in the daylight but will do as a starter.

Yours Aye,

Ian

Name:	b1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	65672 Click image for larger version

Name:	b2.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	65673

Name:	d1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	65674 Click image for larger version

Name:	d2.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	65675
Old 26-05-14, 00:28

Default Some interior 'Before and After' shots

And Some More.

Ian

Name:	e1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	65676 Click image for larger version

Name:	e2.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	65677

Name:	w1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	65678 Click image for larger version

Name:	w2.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	65679
Old 26-05-14, 00:50

Default Great Before and After Shots

Hi Ian

Great work on the Ford, the Before and After Photos are always of great interest when a vehicle is on display.

Always interesting to watch people at a meet or show looking at vehicles they always seem to take more time looking at the detail of vehicles that have a photo or information display. Seems to engage them more in the vehicle.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 26-05-14, 02:00

Looks great. I've got a highres scan of the proper early war 2nd Div formation sign. The maple leaf is rather funky looking compared to the more common style you have used. I'll post it tomorrow.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 26-05-14, 10:36

Thumbs up Many thanks, and more to come

Thanks to you all for the positive feedback, new information, and offers enabling me to get it right. I only wish I had explored the Drivers Handbook details earlier.

When I did I initially got it wrong, thinking the first part of the service number was '13'. Therefore when Ed Storey was asked he came back informing it was not a Canadian service number as they were all prefixed with a letter. It was only when I was drafting my 'public information board' that on looking again I realised it was in fact not '13' but 'B'. When Ed checked again we immediately found the service number related to J.Dickson who had served for some of his service with the 1st. MTVRD. I now have the correct vehicle serial for this vehicle and 50% of the correct unit signs, with hopefully the complete story before too long. I can also take the opportunity for a photo shoot at Bordon, where there were based for all of their UK life, as I journey south for our Normandy trip very shortly. I am currently putting the finishing touches and tweaks to the car plus packing the spares into the underfloor boot, sorry trunk, storage. I may see some of you over there the vehicle being quite distinctive. Will be at Arromances on the 6th, Port en Besin on the 7th and Bayeux/Tilly on the 8th plus a lot more.

I will try and get some outside shots if time and weather permits today, but sure as hell will have loads soon!

Thanks again for all the help and please keep it coming. Has anyone got any decent photos for instance of these LC424-C-PASS-1's in service? Funnily enough if you look in Bart's Historic Military Vehicle Directory, page 41, the vehicle serial shown in the photo is 4 digits from mine!

Yours Aye,

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0002.jpg  
Old 26-05-14, 19:04

Here is the proper style of Div marking for 2nd Canadian Infantry Division for the first half of the war.
Attached Thumbnails
2ndciddecalsmall.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 26-05-14, 20:24

Thanks Jordan,

As you say its completely different from what you usually see on the later vehicles.

Most definately will use that style if it is determined the 1st. MTVRD were part of the 2nd Division. May be however they were 1st Division or even Canadian Corps Troops.

If this were the case was this pattern of Maple leaf on all the earlier variants?

Regards,

Ian
Old 26-05-14, 21:46
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
I take it the 277 serial would be on RCASC diagonal colours of red and green? Have you any idea what formation they were actually attached to/part of? I definitely now need to redo the markings as not only do I have the correct vehicle number but at the moment 50% of the correct unit ID's.
Hi Ian;

The 277 serial of 1 MTVRD, had nothing to do with their AoS marking.

The AoS marking for the 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC, was the letters: M.T.V.R.D., in 1¼-inch (3.2-centimetres) black letters centred on a 2-inch (5.1-centimetres) high white strip, above the diagonally divided Green/Red (with the dividing line running upper left to lower right(opposite of the RASC)) AoS background colours of the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps. The Formation sign used by the 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC, was that of Canadian Military Headquarters, which was a gold (or yellow) rimmed 8-inch (20.3-centimetres) diameter khaki circle with a centrally located gold (or yellow) maple leaf. 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC, were Base Troops under the control of Canadian Military Headquarters (London), and was not a field force unit.

Quote:
I have actually emailed Library and Archives Canada hoping for some info on either the individual or the unit.
Ian, these are the file references for the War Diaries of the 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC, that are held by The National Archives (Kew), Richmond, Surrey, United Kingdom:

WO 179/518 - Serial 277 - 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC - War Diary for Mar to Dec 1940
WO 179/519 - Serial 277 - 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC - War Diary for Jan to Jun 1941
WO 179/520 - Serial 277 - 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC - War Diary for Jul to Dec 1941
WO 179/1366 - Serial 277 - 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC - War Diary for Jan to Aug 1942
WO 179/1508 - Serial 277 - 1st Mechanical Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, RCASC - War Diary for Sep to Dec 1942

Also, if you were to leave it in the markings of the Calgary Highlanders, the style of the 2nd Canadian Division formation sign that Jordan provided, would be appropriate.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 26-05-14 at 22:01.
Old 26-05-14, 23:55
MLU Administrator

One word: stunning!

Alright then, two more words: hats off...

Hope to see you and the Ford in Normandy!

Regards,
Hanno
Old 27-05-14, 11:06

Default Many thanks for Markings info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W. Tonner View Post
the diagonally divided Green/Red (with the dividing line running upper left to lower right(opposite of the RASC)). Canadian Military Headquarters, which was a gold (or yellow) rimmed 8-inch (20.3-centimetres) diameter khaki circle with a centrally located gold (or yellow) maple leaf.
Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the comprehensive info, on correct AoS and that 277 has nothing to do with that depicted on it. Also the correct formation of which it was part completing the requirements for change at the earliest opportunity!

HOWEVER from looking at www.canadiansoldiers.com it indicates in the early part of the war the split was from right top to bottom left as per the RASC with change to the Canadian specific RCASC not coming until The mid war period? I most certainly am not contradicting your info and what I have read may in fact be inaccurate. Just checking to ensure what would be right for 1940/41 as I want to get it 100% right this time.

Re the Canadian Military HQ I am glad you gave the correct colours or I would have faithfully reproduced the uniform formation sign, which has completely different background! Strangely enough one of only three photo's I have found of the 01AF in service is of a Canadian Military HQ vehicle and indicates the Maple leaf fills the circle whereas it doesn't on the uniform insignia. Any clear artwork/true background colour on this one as Khaki can be a multitude of sins? Would it also have the early style leaf as per Jordan's info?

Looks like the vehicle serial is CM4202123 which is a completely different series of numbers and depicted in a different font, as per the bridging plate number.

Again, many, many thanks for the help. Will make inroads to contact Kew re war diaries.

Yours Aye,

Ian
Attached Images

Old 27-05-14, 16:07
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
I most certainly am not contradicting your info and what I have read may in fact be inaccurate. Just checking to ensure what would be right for 1940/41 as I want to get it 100% right this time.
Hi Ian, perhaps I should have wrote it the way it usually appears, which should read: Red/Green (for red over green), which in the case of the RCASC, meant that the top right half of the diagonally divided background was red, and the lower left half, was green, with the dividing line running upper left to lower right, which was opposite of the RASC. I, myself, have not come across anything indicating, that the RCASC background was diagonally divided, lower left to upper right, as used by the RASC, in any of the files I’ve received from Library & Archives Canada.

Quote:
Any clear artwork/true background colour on this one as Khaki can be a multitude of sins? Would it also have the early style leaf as per Jordan's info?
No Ian, I do not have any clear artwork/true background colour images. Records only state khaki as the colour to be used. Also, yes, the stylized maple leaf, as per Jordan’s illustration, could be used.

Your restoration as turned out very well Ian, it looks really great?

Cheers
Old 27-05-14, 20:49

Hi Mark,

Thanks again, I bow to your wisdom and will ensure it is faithfully reproduced.

All I need now is a cleared indication of what the CMHQ actually looked like
Yours Aye,

Ian
Old 27-05-14, 21:01
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
All I need now is a cleared indication of what the CMHQ actually looked like
Ian, I'll dig around and see what I can find.

Cheers
Old 28-05-14, 00:20

Ian,

you probably have this picture already, but I have attached it just to be sure.
census: C.M4202392
Stencil lettering so it seems.

It's a picture Clive Law posted in this thread (I know he has a pic of the front of the same Ford as well)

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
file2817.jpg  
Old 28-05-14, 23:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Alex, thanks for the info and yes I have seen this one. However some interesting photos and info in the other thread. It appears the Canadian serials were also applied in a variety of formats and fonts.

Kind Regards,

Ian
Old 14-06-14, 14:01

Thumbs up Normandy - Aurora did us proud!

Had a fantastic time in Normandy and the Ford did us really proud covering a total of 1075.8 miles door to door. Wore the 'Maple Leaf Up' polo and have the photo's to prove it! No issues to speak of although gear change problems when only 50 miles from home on the return leg which hopefully can be resolved with some linkage/clutch adjustment.

Attach photos of a stolen moment of glory as the normal 'anti-vehicle' pillars were down at the Juno Centre Courselles-sur-Mer for removal of celebration stands and personnel at the centre were more than helpful. Also a shot at the Canadian Cemetery Beny0sur Mer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3250 - Copy.JPG   IMG_3252 - Copy.JPG   IMG_3264 - Copy.JPG  
Old 18-07-14, 21:37

Question Anyone know what the 'K' indicates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Ian,

It's a picture Clive Law posted in this thread (I know he has a pic of the front of the same Ford as well)

Alex
Thanks Alex,

I now have a problem that I have only just noticed via another photo I have just obtained of a '40 01AF and it has the letter 'K', roughly 2inches in size, clearly visible on the offside (Right hand drive) to the rear of the back door and on the body work above the wheel arch. On looking at the photo you posted the vehicle also shows a 'K', but in a slightly different place? On following the link you gave if you look closely a number of the woody's also appear to have the same K although the position varies slightly. Anyone got any knowledge or ideas on this one??

Ian
Old 22-07-14, 23:42

Ian,

I never noticed the "K", but on closer inspection I have now seen the same "K" appear on several vehicles....not only staff cars, but also an F8, HUP, C15A, Diamond T969, Mack LMSW etc. The "K" always shows up on the right hand side of the vehicles, usually on the right rear, but in case of the Diamond and Mack it shows up on the support legs of the wrecking gear.
I have no idea what it means, although I think it could have something to do with inspection of the vehicles(?). What all vehicles seem to have in common, is that they were all pictured in the same location, the depot in the UK.

Alex
Old 22-07-14, 23:46

By the way Ian. I have seen your Ford in the flesh in Normandy at the start of the Bayeux parade (and the Port-en-Bessin parade) and it looks stunning. Well done! I will post some pictures of your Ford "in the wild" when I finally get round to sorting through my Normandy pics!

Alex
Old 22-07-14, 23:56

Default That strange 'K'

Hi Alex, most certainly a strange one and as you say now that you know about it it can be seen on a variety of vehicles. Style and location vary but always on the same rear corner! Inspection mark? maybe, but why 'K' and what does it mean? .

Re my Ford, certainly appreciate some pictures when you sort them out. I have just repainted part of the front wing and trunk lid ready for the change of vehicle marking,s now that I know its true original ones.

Ian
Old 15-09-14, 11:59

Thumbs up Now in Original Markings - History mission ongoing

Thought I would post a couple of photos in appreciation for all the assistance and information I have received from members that resulted in 'Aurora' now being finished in the vehicles original markings. The penciled information entered into a drivers handbook found in the vehicle initially gave the serial number and further research has resulted in finding the vehicle had served with the 1st. Motor Transport Vehicle Reception Depot, Canadian Military Headquarters, while located at Bordon in Hampshire in the early years of the war. So this chapter is now closed.

Through the Canadian War Museum Heritage site I have found out that Private J. (James) Dickson, RCASC, B84077 did survive the war, although as I am not a family member, or formal researcher, they could not furnish further information other than his full christian name and that the suffix 'B' indicated he enlisted in Toronto. I would dearly love to find out more as it would be nice to furnish the family with a photo of what Dad, Gran dad or whoever used to drive during their service life, they may in turn have photos of the actually vehicle in service!

Related to this saga elsewhere in this thread there is reference to wanting information on the letter 'K' that can be seen painted usually above the right rear wheel arch on RHD vehicles. Examples I have seen are on cars, station wagons, although from info within this thread it appears it was not limited to this class of vehicle. However, what is it? An inspection marking was one suggestion?

All the best,

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
MTVRD 1.jpg   MTVRD 2.jpg