MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 02-02-08, 02:14

Default Carrier country bogie wheels

Hi Guys,
You may remember last year I retrieved the bones of a carrier fitted with Marmon Herrington 3C T L two man tank parts the track was British track, the wheels are narrower then Australian wheels. there are two complete sets of bogies but at some time the rubber was removed from the road wheels,the track support return rollers have their rubber complete
Ron,
Old 02-02-08, 02:17

Default wheels

!st pic of the wheels minus rubber, these are Two and three quarter inches wide
Attached Thumbnails
mvc-015s.jpg  
Old 02-02-08, 02:19

Default another angle

Showing from the other angle
Attached Thumbnails
mvc-016s.jpg  
Old 02-02-08, 02:23

Default Australian wheels

This shot shows a bogie off a Australian L P 2 carrier with the rubber removed from the wheel the width of this wheel is three ans three quarter inches wide exactly one inch wider than the ones removed from the carrier country carrier
Attached Thumbnails
mvc-019s.jpg  
Old 02-02-08, 02:25

Default different angle

Just to show the Australian bogie from a different angle
Attached Thumbnails
mvc-020s.jpg  
Old 02-02-08, 02:31

Default Deal ??

O k guys,
The reason that I have put them on here is I have no use for them,as I am into Australian L P 2 carriers,and they do not interest me at all. so if there is anyone out there who needs them contact me for either a trade or sale but I prefer a trade,
Regards,
Ron,
Old 02-02-08, 06:45

Gidday Ron, those bogie wheel spokes are of the Aust/NZ local pattern type, I've not seen to date any of the Brit or Canadian bogies that have the same spokes as Local Pattern ones. mmmm,see what the other blokes have to say. You might have a production run of bogie rims that were slightly different than tha norm ? cheers David...
Old 02-02-08, 09:00

Default Bogie wheels

Hi David,
And thanks for the reply, Yes they are the same pattern as the usual ones but just not as wide,
Regards,
Ron.
Old 02-02-08, 20:44

Hi Ron,
Is it possible that the steel wheels you have are late war for Aust LP carriers when there was a rubber shortage? The diameter of the wheel would have to be measured to see if it is the same as the wheels with rubber, but the different width could be accounted for due to diameters and the wheel having to fit into the track guide horns.
late war there were some wheels that were produced without rubber, I have seen top guide rollers and the large wheel that you have there in full steel. There is also a quick shot of a carrier with a full steel wheel in Keith Webbs YOTC.
English wheels are narrower and have a "T" section spoke, unlike the Aust wheels that have a "H" section spoke.

This may shed light on your wheel....
Old 02-02-08, 21:17

Default wheels

Hi Darrin,
Thanks for your reply, The steel part of the wheels are the same diameter as the steel part on the normal Australian H pattern,I have a couple of british wheels here and am familier with their style,Australian track width at the bottom of the horns is three and a half inches and at the top of the horns it is four and a half inches, I realise that there would have to have been some clearance to allow for the track warping when turning the vehicle,the width of the rubber where it contacts the track at the bottom of the horns is three inches on the standard Australian wheel there are grooves in the out side of the road wheels which I would say had some connection in regard to the bonding of the rubber road wheel, I have also seen the steel wheels as you mention and also the front idle wheel that you ajust the track tension with, I guess the way I am thinking is that British track is narrower than Australian,and with rubber fitted they would fit perfectly,could they be Australian pattern wheels made here to fit British track, did we at some time have enough British track? to warrent a run of our road wheels to use this tack up?? just a thought,
Again thanks for your reply and interest.
Regards Ron
Old 08-02-08, 10:26
Bluebell

Ron, I think somebody has reduced the width of the wheels to suit the available track, and with use the rubber has fallen off.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 08-02-08, 10:55

Yeah, that will most probably be what has happened Lynn, as the same was done to a LP Carrier in Sth Auckland many years ago due to the availability of good unused canadian track over the lack of good LP track.
David...
Old 09-02-08, 09:32

Default wheel width

Hi lyn &David
I think what you say is proberly correct, but given the years that the conversion was performed and the fact Australian track was plentiful it was a bugger of a job to pull eight road wheels and set them up in a lath and turn them down to a reduced size I thought that it may have been done to ensure the track stayed on to compensate for the slewing of the tracks when the change of direction was done by using the Marmon Herrington transfer case thanks both of you for your reply, The entire job just looks to complicated to have been done on the place where it was used and was supposed to have been done by the mans fathers from where I got the machine, i was in the workshop on the property where it came from there was no lath or power tools in fact no electricty, all these things make our hobby all the more interesting,if we knew all the answers there would no be much fun in it, Thanks again Regards Ron