MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up

Notices

Old 01-12-15, 19:06
Frankencarrier owner

Default G-Wagon on Crown Assets

The auction is over, and the winning bid was around 12k, but it looks like high bidder won't be getting it.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?...L&sf=ferm-clos
Old 01-12-15, 19:38
carrier mech

The buyer had approached me yesterday looking for information and parts sources. He will be disappointed.

Buying a cannibalized vehicle means you must then source all the parts taken as well as the parts damaged by the guys who took them. Guys think nothing of cutting wiring harnesses to remove an electrical box rather than undoing the connectors. As well, you must then source the parts that were not available to order in the supply system in the first place.

Last edited by rob love; 04-12-15 at 04:34.
Old 03-12-15, 19:25
Frankencarrier owner

The listing was showing the vehicle was being recalled by DND, so can the Gwagons even be surplused or are they under ITAR or something?
Old 04-12-15, 00:00

Default Recall

Possible reason is someone high up in the ranks was asked why vehicles were being sold off. This high ranking person had no idea vehicles were being sold and may have put a stop to it
Old 04-12-15, 05:06
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Mulder View Post
The listing was showing the vehicle was being recalled by DND, so can the Gwagons even be surplused or are they under ITAR or something?
Doubt the G-wagons would fall under ITAR, since they are not US built, nor do the Americans use them.

There could be an agreement with Mercedes that they won't be sold, but that is purely speculation. I know there are 2 or 3 Gwagons in the cannibalization lineup here in Shilo, however I would think by the time they are finished taking parts, there will be very little left to sell.

I have seen recalls before. At one point, Edmonton was selling a bunch of transfer cases and axles for the MLVWs. The price was way too high first time around. Second time around, I suspect someone figured out the trucks were sticking around for another 4 or 5 years so it would not be prudent to sell off the spares yet.
Old 04-12-15, 16:58

Default G-Wagons

The G-Wagon was or is used by the US, the Rangers were issued just under 100 vehicles, as for parts start saving your money, what I saw in the photos was the injectors out of the engine , my guess is the engine was junk, we had a customer that would come in from Montreal , he was bringing in G-Wagons from Europe , most with the gas engine , then installing the 300 turbo diesel , same power plants as the BV-206 ,the CF vehicle is a nightmare and money pit,
I was very surprised that the vehicle showed up , they do not meet Transport Canada crash specs, and a VERY large number have gone to the crusher but not before major components were removed to go into the parts system, just to give you guys an idea about this vehicle , engine - computer controlled , transmission - computer controlled , married to each other, dash - computer controlled , married to the vehicle (serial number) , dash replacement can only come from the factory (Germany), you will not be able to fix vehicle without DAS system , when battery on this unit dies it must be returned to Germany (unit) for replacement, is your head spinning yet?
Old 08-12-15, 05:24

G wagon does not fall under ITAR, but if armored may fall under controlled goods, as well any weapons mounts, turrets etc. would probably be controlled. I sure would love to see these up for sale, do any of the folks in the know have opinions one way or another if we will ever see them hit the GC Surplus for real?
Old 08-12-15, 13:02

John,

Quite frankly I will never say never these days anymore despite having said that publicly just about a year ago on the HLVW sales.

These days things are so fickle and the affecting factors can be trivial to darn near sublime to change the climate of the PWGC puzzle palace that makes decisions.

Just look at the BV206s that were broken up and then recently non runners making large money, ridiculous. No rhyme or reason.

Robin

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 08-12-15, 22:26
Frankencarrier owner

Wow, I guess fixing one would be difficult and expensive. Maybe just rip everything out and replace it with a jeep cherokee engine/drivetrain.
Old 09-12-15, 06:20

Default G

I was told by an operator the you can't go off road with a G Wagon because there were too many rollovers , regulations have it you stick to the roads..

Any truth to this ?
94 LSVW
Old 09-12-15, 07:16

Default Operator Head Spacing

True the vehicle has a high center of gravity, but there is no regulations I am aware of that does not allow G-wagons to off road. Generally it's the drivers stupidity/carelessness/lack of care that causes most rollovers.
Old 09-12-15, 13:50
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeo.NT View Post
Generally it's the drivers stupidity/carelessness/lack of care that causes most ..........
Niel: Said like a true mechanic. Note I did not have to put in the word rollover. The statement works with probably 50% or more of vehicle breakdown in the military.

I have said it before: Even though I did not like some of the vehicles, you have to respect that every time they go out into the training area, many of them are driven to the extreme of their capabilities. The steepest ditch, the deepest mud or snow, the thickest trees, the highest RPM, the longest jumps...
Old 10-12-15, 23:59

Default G-Wagon

best advice I can give , if one ever does slip out , tear out the engine , trans and wiring with the dash, and then go look for a 300 TD as a donor vehicle , the G-Wagon has had almost every engine installed that MB has produced in the last 40 years, from the 240D to the 6.3 AMG along with all the different transmissions, so if you look at it that way putting one on the road could be very easy , lots of old Benz's out there,