MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 26-04-12, 04:07

Default Ford F8 Drag Link Repair Kit

Trying to find the correct repair kit for the F8 drag link (see attached photo - is drag link the correct term for this part by the way?!) . Macs has one that looks right (B3305S) but no dimensions given and is stated as for 28-34 vehicle! Joblot Automotive has same as Macs plus one for "35-47 Big Truck 81T-3312S). Has anyone obtained this item before to know which is right for the F8. Just to complicate things, I believe that the F8 steering box and linkage is a different size to the F15A.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4083 (640x480).jpg  
Old 27-04-12, 03:07

Default You could.....

.... have a nice drive to Niagara Falls...... take your wife out for supper.... and drop by at Mac...... with the part in hand you could make an easy comparison.

Caution...... the parts counter staff has no idea of what teh part looks like.... you look it up in the catalogue.... he electronically calls it from the back.

My expereince was not very nice..... if you ask for a small, medium and large for comparing he is not fond of you taking one and having 2 go back to the warehouse.

They were paying a lot more attention to the buyers with deep pocket that where picking up what seemed like a complete Ford in a million pieces//// with a resulting big bill.

Here at the barn we have used Dodge steering link dust boots that fit very well on Cab 11/12/13 linkages ...... relatively easy to find but very different from the Ford design.

Bob
Canada
Old 27-04-12, 03:28
Staghound

Hi dave
if you give me some measurementts as to the length , diameter, center points and the size of the balls i may be able to help you out
stew
Old 27-04-12, 07:04

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew Robertson View Post
Hi dave
if you give me some measurementts as to the length , diameter, center points and the size of the balls i may be able to help you out
stew
we are talking about a motor vehicle part, aren't we?

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 27-04-12, 15:52

Default Parts

No worries Cliff, it is drag link balls - or cups!
Thanks Stew, I'll measure the parts as sioon as I get them completely disassembled and let you know. May be a couple of weeks yet.

Bob, yes good idea to visit Macs in person - but with gas - and accommodation its probably cheaper to order and return if necessary. Again that darned cross border shipping charge supplement by UPS/FedeX makes that pricey too! I wish they could simply put the dimensions in. It's weird how many variants in size there are for various Ford parts and how all these variants seem to have gotten through to the various CMP models. I guess Chevvies didnt have this problem from 8cwt to 15cwt?
Old 29-04-12, 03:15

Default Drag link details

Got the drag link apart and found it all in pretty good shape I reckon - no wear on the balls (if you'll pardon the expression) - the Pitman arm ball and the one at tother end that is! This is not the correct drag link according to the book for the F8 but it seems to serve OK. I think the steering box and linkage had been changed. Since the holes in the drag link are at a different distance from their respective ends, the stacking of the component cups, springs etc. had to be modified (and was when I took it apart) with the spring being outbord of the ball at one end and inboard (as per maintenence manual) at the other. Seems to work fine. Forgot to measure diameters but the balls are approx 1and 1/8 inch diam.

There was a lot of movement of the Pitman arm which I readily got back to less than 1/16 in by adjustment of the roller shaft (several turns!) once I got that pesky lock plate out.

So, don't think I need any parts now but would welcome comments - anyone done these adhustments?

Have added photo - will have to add the second one separately - as per my other thread.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4096 (640x480).jpg  
Old 29-04-12, 03:16

Default Again

Here,s the photo of the cups etc.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4099 (640x480).jpg  
Old 24-05-12, 08:01

The reason for the drag link cups and springs on each end pointing in the same direction is to allow for shock absorption in both compression and tension.
If the springs faced each other they would only allow compressive loads to be absorbed.

David