MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 17-07-05, 19:57

Default alligator axle rebuild

Hi all,

I have now started the rebuild process of my front axle / diff assy.

As you may already know from previous posting, it is a bit different to the one fitted to the brengun carrier. The front axle contains the steering/braking assemblies, all of which are completely submersed in oil.

Well the decision to strip the axle was due to two things. The first was to loose some of the weight from the whole thing. As it is imposable to lift even with four chaps holding it. After removing the inspection covers which are aluminium and the diff location top hats from both ends it was able to be lifted out as a complete assembly with brake bands.

Now I have two large lumps of carrier which are still very heavy to lift.

The diff and brake bands are in excellent condition and need nothing more than a good clean and inspection. But like all the bearings found on the Alligator the two thrust bearings in the diff unit have failed. one of which has broken the inner cage holding the ball bearing and allowed them to fall out. Not really a surprise as I know the axle has taken a bit of abuse at some time due to the twisted half shaft.

Any way I think my bearing order stands at 42 bearings ranging from little thrust bearings for the rear track adjuster to all the ones in the hubs and idlers. and now these.

I have posted some photos for anyone interested in excellent design and engineering, as well as rare carriers.

As you will see from the photos the diff unit is very compact and the axle case has already had its first coat of paint ready to have the diff and brakes put back in. as soon as my bearings arrive.

When it comes to the braking and steering of brengun carriers my knowledge is very little. do these types of carrier have large brake bands to grip the axle ends in order to slow the drive sprockets down? If they do has anyone taken one apart.? How much life can you get out of a set of brake linings? and how think is the lining to start with when new.

I only ask as mine look to be okay but I haven’t got anything to compare them to.

Thanks

Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
axle.jpg  
Old 17-07-05, 20:00

Default Diff unit

Diff assembley
Attached Thumbnails
diff.jpg  
Old 17-07-05, 20:05

Default brake band adjustment

This show the diff in place with its brake bands prior to removal.

There seems to be a lot of ajustment and setting up to do in order to get them to function correctly. do all the other types of carrier have the same?

Look forward to all responses

Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
brake.jpg  

Last edited by Bryan; 17-07-05 at 22:34.
Old 17-07-05, 20:12

Default brake band adjusters

These are the adjusters located in the bottom of the diff casing
Attached Thumbnails
adjusters.jpg  
Old 17-07-05, 22:39
MLU Administrator

Default Re: alligator axle rebuild

Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan
When it comes to the braking and steering of brengun carriers my knowledge is very little. do these types of carrier have large brake bands to grip the axle ends in order to slow the drive sprockets down?
Bryan, thanks for sharing these excellent pictures with us.
As for braking and steering bren gun carriers, you might be helped by these notes on Tracked Vehicle Steering. Universal Carriers use Braked Differential Steering, a rather crude system but effective for small tracked vehicles. Your Alligator evidently uses "Cletrac" or Controlled Differential Steering. This system was widely used in military vehicles during WW II, including all US-built tanks and the T16 Universal Carrier.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Old 18-07-05, 12:10
RIP

Default The Gizmologist's Lair

Hi Hanno
I followed the thread and found this site fascinating. It took me all my time to get back to MLU. This one is well worth reading.
Bob
Old 18-07-05, 23:34

Default T16 INFO

Hanno,

Thanks for that. I would be interested to hear from the T16 owners to see if they have had to set up there stearing/brake bands in there front diff. If anyone has a exploded drawing or photos that would be use full.

Thanks again

Bryan