MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 18-01-14, 17:54

Default CF Photo reference material available

Back in the dim distant past, when mail was delivered to homes and people knew how to communicate in forms other than social media, I and long time and now sadly deceased friend Andy Graham took many images of Canadian military vehicles and equipment and service men and women.

These were all done on 35 mm colour slides. I have many thousands of them.

I have as some will know been on a somewhat nomadic lifestyle until a year ago when I put down roots and built a house. Slowly I am unpacking as I have alluded to over the past year.

To that end I have finally figured out my slide scanner and how to scan and load images, in small numbers.

If any of you want images of something specific that was in service in the 1990s and early 2000s then I might have it. Vehicles that come to mind are:

5/4 ton, M38A1 ceremonial review, LSVW, Iltis, MLVW, HESV, Kenworth PLS, and so this list goes on. Infact if it was in service I have it from that era.

I have white fleet, oddities, engineer kit, SEV bodies, Engineer kit, things that didn't exist that belonged to units that don't exist. I have antiquities like pigsfoot rollers. Power packs, gen sets, MP cars and trucks, aircraft tractors, I have it.

You will have to understand that some are sorted into binders but many are in boxes of 36 slides and need sorting through.

If you are publishing a book or the like and have a dreadful editor breathing down your neck then I will go look, if you are restoring a vehicle and need a detail shot, I may go look, if you are a picture hound wanting to flesh out your collection, send money. If your name is Clive and your last name is Law . . . . .

I do have other things to do and someone wants the basement finished . . .

Robin
Old 18-01-14, 18:01
RC Sigs

Funny you would bring this up. I saw a picture thread on another MV site and wondering if anyone ever thought of doing it on MLU. Does anyone know if this has been done on MLU or if there are reasons this would not be a good idea?
M-37 52-30890
M-220 CDN 53-
Iltis 85-87789
LSVW Trailer 2910-1210
M-100 CDN
M-101 CDN2
Chev 5/4 76-
OMVA MVPA AVMQ CAFA CAFL
Old 18-01-14, 18:55

Dano,

I think the best way so far that I have seen is done over on HMVF.

There each vehicle type is getting it's own gallery. It makes it simpler to find and means you don't have to troll through endless Jeeps to find a Land Rover or endless Macks to find a Bedford.

That is the beauty of their system.

R
Old 18-01-14, 19:23
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post
If your name is Clive and your last name is Law . . . . .

Robin
Hmm. Not quite sure what to make of that?

I always have need of images to illustrate my books. Currently, I am working on Weapons of War booklets on the Iltis and the MLVW so images are always welcome.
Also, I run RamTank.ca which has expanded far beyond that iconic tank. If you have scanned a vehicle for someone else, perhaps you would routinely send a copy of the image file to me also? As always, full credit to the photographer.
C
Old 18-01-14, 19:31
RC Sigs

Robin, I just went there and registered and had a browse through. It seemed hard to find Canadian stuff. I have scans and was wondering if it would be wrong just to post them here or if someone had seen a similar thing done.
M-37 52-30890
M-220 CDN 53-
Iltis 85-87789
LSVW Trailer 2910-1210
M-100 CDN
M-101 CDN2
Chev 5/4 76-
OMVA MVPA AVMQ CAFA CAFL
Old 18-01-14, 20:13
Centurion nut

Default Have you tried.....

Pardon me for weighing in but have either one of you gentlemen thought of creating your own photo library site? An excellent example of such can be found here created by Don Allen (aka 8Hussar). He's managed to organize hundreds of photos from his collection which are easily accessible by a viewer. All of the categories are self-explanable.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 18-01-14, 21:03
RC Sigs

Thanks Dan. Went there and had a look. Nice collection of pictures. I have googled CDN army vehicles many times and hadn't found that group. I guess what I am after is something similar to "the early deuce" site, that just has a stream of photos. The photo bucket is good, but if you hadn't told me about it, I would never have seen those pics. I always look forward to Clyde's books. Happy to hear there are two more in the works. I just got an Iltis and they are a great reference source. I still think there is a better way to get pics of vehicles from the 60s to 80s without a photo bucket or website. I am currently looking for photos of the M-152 penthouse. I have found two pics of this truck with MP markings, but thats all I can find.
M-37 52-30890
M-220 CDN 53-
Iltis 85-87789
LSVW Trailer 2910-1210
M-100 CDN
M-101 CDN2
Chev 5/4 76-
OMVA MVPA AVMQ CAFA CAFL
Old 18-01-14, 21:22

Dear Clive Dan and Dano,

Clive, made ya look didn't I? My work is done! Just yanking your chain Clive because I can. I will email you off line about your wants

Dan and Dano, I have way too many interests to spend all day and night organising what I have right now, although it is gratifying to know others are looking for what is nit around which makes me feel so much better for having taken the pictures in the fist place.

I think it will have to wait until I get to the old folks home before I stop doing other things to put them all up. I thousands of them.

Anyhow, yes I have more that I should share, maybe an online free album is the way to go.

It is quite laborious scanning them all.

Maybe Clive remembers this event many many moons ago? Were any of you on board?

These images are by the late Andy Graham with whom I shared a lot of photography and whom I shared a small photo business with. We have both been published.

At this event I was co conspirator and co Stolly operator along with another dude.

R
Attached Thumbnails
stolly swim1.jpg   stolly swim 3.jpg   stolly swim 2.jpg  

Last edited by Robin Craig; 18-01-14 at 22:21.
Old 18-01-14, 21:29
RC Sigs

Looks like fun.
M-37 52-30890
M-220 CDN 53-
Iltis 85-87789
LSVW Trailer 2910-1210
M-100 CDN
M-101 CDN2
Chev 5/4 76-
OMVA MVPA AVMQ CAFA CAFL
Old 19-01-14, 00:25

Dear Stuart + others,

as long as the mods are ok I am going to keep everything within MLU, after all you are already here and it keeps things together.

I want to make it very clear that I would REALLY prefer that others not post pictures of their fixes etc into the galleries i'm starting, lets just keep them the reference material and comments on those pictures alone. Keep things on topic.

These are not being scanned at the highest resolution, and I am a luddite and a technophobe as far as eletrickery, windows 8 is driving me nuts.

Hope you will all enjoy my efforts. It was fun all those years taking them as I knew when they would see the light of day people will be surprised as to what really went on rather than what is written in a manual.

These images are my copyright, ask before filching them.

Robin Craig
Old 19-01-14, 09:39
MLU Administrator

Quote:
as long as the mods are ok I am going to keep everything within MLU
Robin,

Great to see you are unearthing your slides, MLU is happy to serve as a platform for sharing them.

You could also try the album feature here http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/album.php
We have not used it to date, but since it is part of the forum's functionality why not let us try it.

Hanno
Old 19-01-14, 10:21

Dear Hanno,

I guess in reply to your response as a moderator is that I wanted it as a running thread in the open so that others get that thread pop up as a "new post" when they log in thereby seeing that I have added some new images to what might be their favourite thread as they own one of these vehicles.

The other issue that I have found out now that you have showed me that there is an album function, is that I am not allowed to post in there according to the forum itself, I don't have permission to post there, apparently a moderator has to allow me . . . .

What do others say? What would you guys out there like?

What do the people say?

Robin
Old 19-01-14, 10:30
MLU Administrator

Quote:
The other issue that I have found out now that you have showed me that there is an album function, is that I am not allowed to post in there according to the forum itself, I don't have permission to post there, apparently a moderator has to allow me . . . .
Robin,

Will have to check the settings. As I said this function was never used on this forum, so parts of this are new to me.

Meanwhile, you have started thread on each vehicle types plus accompanying text. That is why I personally (as a reader, not as a moderator) prefer use of threads over albums. Albums are just that, a thread is much more lively as the text puts the photos in context and it jumps to top anytime you add to it.

Hanno
Old 19-01-14, 10:46

Hanno,

I think the fact the you also see the same point as I do kind of seals the fate fairly quickly. Thread it will be until forced elsewhere or cajoled otherwise.

R
Old 19-01-14, 11:06
MLU Administrator

Quote:
I think the fact the you also see the same point as I do kind of seals the fate fairly quickly. Thread it will be until forced elsewhere or cajoled otherwise.
Robin,

Pleased proceed. Next to attaching your pictures to the bottom of your posts, you can also use the option to put the pictures in line with your text as explaned in Posting pictures (just updated).

Hanno
Old 19-01-14, 11:34

Thanks for that Hanno, I'm kind of struggling to get as far as I am with scanning and importing and naming and uploading these, getting the text above or below the images is desired by me but Im just not quite there as far as computer skills, I loose my way.

R