MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-11, 00:28
Bluebell

Default Control rods. Riveted U.C.

My idea here is to make this thread a resource of info for the various control rods in the standard MkI U.C.
Most of the rods are medium tensile 7/16" dia. with BSF threads (the throttle control rods are smaller)
If I have any measurements wrong please advise, and I will edit my mistakes.
It maybe be that correct lengths are in a parts book, and if so, someone might like to put all of them up here.
Until then, here are the finished cut lengths of some, to start with;

There are essentially eleven rods;
Five for the brakes,
Two to hold the power unit to the rear plate,
Two clutch rods, and
Two throttle rods (1/4" dia.)
All rods are B.S.F. threads.

The LONGEST brake rods are both the same (TL5014) length at 2153mm overall length, with 32mm of thread at each end.
The transverse rod (TL 2332) is 646mm overall length with 45mm of thread at each end.

The front clutch rod (TL2328) is 1125mm long overall length, with 60mm of thread at one end, and 40mm at the other
The rear clutch rod (CTL7111) is 1078mm overall length, with 32mm of thread at each end.

The two throttle rods;
the long one is 1040mm overall length, with each end having about 25mm of thread. (rear?)(CTL7112)
the short one is 973mm. thread as above (front?)(CTL2744)
Which ever is the rear one may vary due to different throttle bell crank arrangements with 21 and 24 stud motors. The front rod is the same in all applications.

The engine tieback rod (TL 881) is 585mm overall length. It has 40mm of thread at one end, and 110mm at the other.
It has a kink at each end, about 100mm in.

With regards the cam control rods, the length of the rod from tip of the thread to the center of the pin (long clevis end) is 687mm. this includes the 35mm of thread. This would be the total of CTL 2881 and CTL2882 (1941 parts book) if both were riveted together as one assembly (and any adjustment would be made at the small clevis end. This is here so that someone can make up their own rod assemblies using original clevises. I hope its all clear?

The short brake rods are 250mm overall length. I have 35mm thread on one end and 40mm on the other. I made this rod some years back so these dimensions will need to be confirmed.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 25-06-17 at 08:04. Reason: Cause I can.