MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 22-12-10, 01:59
Squid out of water.

Default M38A1 Covers

Not having a garage, I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get a decent weather cover for an M38A1?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 22-12-10, 02:48
M38A1 CDN3

Try Canadian Tire for a start. Usually fair prices.

They sell a brand named "Shelter Logic" in different sizes.

I've used one for my lawn tractor for about 4 years now. No problems.

I make sure I clear the snow off after a snowfall. For you,being in BC, I can't see that as being a problem, though.

Last edited by Jon Skagfeld; 22-12-10 at 02:49. Reason: sentence structure
Old 22-12-10, 03:40
Terry Warner

A surplus modular tent section is 8' wide by about 30'. Two laced together are 16' x 30' with a grommet in the very centre. Work out something to stopper the hole, and you've got a green canvas-type cover for about $50.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 22-12-10, 03:42
Canadian Rangers

Default Covers

Actually snow is an issue, however the winds are far worse, make sure you secure all poles together and to the ground, I had a nice 10 x 20 "garage" and thought I had it nice and secure, I guess I missed a leg and the wind ripped the metal poles apart and destroyed the whole thing, I now have a nice tent with no poles.....live and learn.

But I do agree, CT does sell some really good covers that are all season and you can even get ones that are for a garage type purpose so they have walls and everything, for the others with just a roof you can buy the walls as an add-on.

Gary
M152 CDN
VW Iltis and M101 Trailer

Old 22-12-10, 06:01
Squid out of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Try Canadian Tire for a start. Usually fair prices.

They sell a brand named "Shelter Logic" in different sizes.

I've used one for my lawn tractor for about 4 years now. No problems.

I make sure I clear the snow off after a snowfall. For you,being in BC, I can't see that as being a problem, though.
Ha - I grew up in Owen Sound, and I do not miss the snow one bit - it was 10 deg C in Victoria today. Was in Toronto last week and noted that my rental's windshield washers were frozen (they must have filled it with water for some reason) and everything west of 400 was shut down. Not looking forward to the day I get posted to Ottawa!

Mike
Old 22-12-10, 06:25
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Baker View Post
Ha - I grew up in Owen Sound, and I do not miss the snow one bit - it was 10 deg C in Victoria today. Was in Toronto last week and noted that my rental's windshield washers were frozen (they must have filled it with water for some reason) and everything west of 400 was shut down. Not looking forward to the day I get posted to Ottawa!

Mike
Well, guess where I'm posting from...the Derry Line, east of the 8th Line.

Last Thursday we "only" got 14" of snow.You know how it is around here, lake effect and all.

Another poster mentioned modulars. Actually they measure 8' x 24' each...two make 16' x 24'...that's what I use in the summer time for shelter for my M38A1CDN3. That includes arches, purlins, Slater pins and sandbags.

Sounds like you're sea element.

PS...my Jeep is 71-09048

Last edited by Jon Skagfeld; 22-12-10 at 06:27. Reason: Add CFR
Old 22-12-10, 08:39
Squid out of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Well, guess where I'm posting from...the Derry Line, east of the 8th Line.

Last Thursday we "only" got 14" of snow.You know how it is around here, lake effect and all.

Another poster mentioned modulars. Actually they measure 8' x 24' each...two make 16' x 24'...that's what I use in the summer time for shelter for my M38A1CDN3. That includes arches, purlins, Slater pins and sandbags.

Sounds like you're sea element.

PS...my Jeep is 71-09048
Doesn't that put you closer to Meaford than Owen Sound? I haven't been up there in years (my parents retired to Orillia), but I used to live off Grey Road 1 in East Linton, then in Owen Sound proper.

I remember the streamers coming off of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay very well. A moderate Grey County snowfall would be considered a natural disaster in Victoria - schools and businesses were actually shut down a couple of weeks ago after about 2-inches worth fell overnight. But that's they way it is when you live in a city without snowplows.

I am indeed in the Navy - probably one of the few sailors who likes to collect green things!

A mod tent would be perfect cover (except it has been super windy here this winter), but I doubt that either the neighbours or the bylaw guys would appreciate it in my front yard. Same goes for the CT versions - I just don't have room to put them up. What I am looking for, I think, is more like a form-fitting tarp that I can secure over the Jeep.

Mike
Old 22-12-10, 23:23
Mr. HUP

Default Mike meet Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Baker View Post
...I am indeed in the Navy - probably one of the few sailors who likes to collect green things! Mike
Another squid named Mike, who likes to collect things green... Mike, you may have seen some postings from another Mike (Timoshyk), who like you, serves with the senior service and likes to work on old army trucks.

We at the Hammond Barn make good use of used modular tentage. I use it to replace the fabric on my Shelter Logic car shelters and all of us use single center pieces to wrap our other vehicles (mostly the cab). I think that one piece should cocoon your truck quite easily.

Let us know when you get to Ottawa and we will introduce you to the Hammond Barn and other local mil vehicle collecting venues.
Old 23-12-10, 05:01
Squid out of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Let us know when you get to Ottawa and we will introduce you to the Hammond Barn and other local mil vehicle collecting venues.
It'll be a couple of years yet before I come back east, but I look forward to meeting you guys when I get there.

Mike
Old 25-12-10, 15:46
Gilles Chartrand

I will throw in my 2 cents worth, if you want to store your M38 see about renting a mini storage locker. Many of these places have outside ground access doors and a jeep will fit in a unit. You rent it for the winter and put it in the yard in the summer. Gilles