MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 04-01-09, 19:22

Default Autocad Dwgs. Available of 15-cwt Body Type 2J1 Bolted Steel G.S.

I have prepared a set of Autocad Dwgs. for the Type 2J1 G.S. Bolted Steel Box for the Canadian Military Pattern 15 cwt truck, consisting of 44 dwgs. 11"x17" in size. Measurements were taken in great detail of all parts & sections from an exist 2J1 G.S. box as manufactured by Canadian Top & Body and applied to the preparation of this set of dwgs. The various dwg. sections are referenced on the attached reduced Isometric View Dwg & also described on the attached Drawing List. Also shown is the box mounted.
This set of dwgs. comes in Acco Press vinyl folder. I am asking $50.00 Can. for this set of dwgs. plus shipping & applicable taxes for Canadians. If anyone has any questions please Email me and I will gladly answer them.

Ted
Attached Thumbnails
CMP Type 2J1 Box Isometric.jpg   Drawing List Body Type 2J1.jpg   CMP Type 2J1 Box.jpg  

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 04-01-09 at 21:25. Reason: edited e-mail addres for spam control
Old 06-01-09, 00:18
Terry Warner

Outstanding! Don't stop there, get to work on the armour plates on a Universal Carrier (both Mk I and II)! And then ....

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 09-01-09, 00:43
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default good work

Nice work ... must have taken you quite some time . Being a 'bolt together' mecanno setup, you wouldn't need to be a competant welder to make one of those . Although having seen the standard of welds on some military bodies

Well worth the asking price . Now, can you please do the same for a 1A2 and the rest of the range - CGT and so on !
Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 11-01-09, 12:17

Smile Autocad Dwgs. 2J1 G.S. Bolted Steel Body 15 cwt

You were quite right Mike, these drawings took a very considerable length of time to complete. Fortunately I did have a box from which I obtained accurate and complete measurements of the various sections. To create a set of dwgs. of other body types I would require access to these types.

Regarding welds, there was a fair amount of welding required to complete each section before this body type was bolted together. The majority were simple fillet welds.

One item of note is the discrepancy in measurement of the height of this box (Manufactured by Canadian Top & Body) compared to the measurement by William A Gregg in his excellent book, Canadian Military Vehicle Profiles. He shows the height of the box from the underside of the cross sills to the top as 22" while mine has a dimension of 25- 5/16". I suppose various manufacturers on a war footing with the materials available, did construct boxes with slightly different measurements, as long as the final product fitted.

Ted
Old 29-06-10, 13:42

This is Excellent and just what I needed!
Do you think that a fairly competent welder, working alone, could build the majority of the box with the parts, before bolting the box together?
And do you recommend that the parts be cut by laser cutter? There is a firm nearby that does good work at a reasonable price.
Pedro
Old 29-06-10, 14:58

Default Good work

Ted

Your efforts deserve a prize in the CMP collecting community, for facilitating accurate reproduction. As to your price for the drawing package it is very modest in deed, if anyone has priced having blue prints copied will know, that's supposing you could get drawings to copy.

About the question of who could reproduce the parts from the drawings. I would advise anyone going to a sheet metal shop go slow, before you sign on the line and/or place a deposit on the work be sure they have experience in work of this type. If you are contracting out the whole job for a completed assemble body, not a big issue as the shop if it is smart will check all the dimensioning before cutting and bending all the parts, because they are the ones who are going to have do all the trimming to align the body as they assemble it. If you are ordering the part and you plan to do the assembly it your self be careful, you are likely to get what ever piece of metal comes out of the metal brake first with little check to see if it matches the drawing. If you are going this route of having a sheet metal shop do all the cutting and bending while you do the assembly gives some real consideration to paying the shop for two hours of time to check the drawings accuracy and assembly logic. Then you have as set of drawings that shop says can be made and assembled, in this way they can not blame mistakes in fabrication on the drawings.

I had some frame components produced from drawings for my C60L though the drawings were clearly marked and dimensioned "out side of bend to out side of bend" they were produced "inside of bend to inside of bend" result being that as the steel was 1/4 inch thick parts were all 1/2 inch to large.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 09-10-10, 23:13

Has anyone heard from Ted? I've emailed him twice about these autocad drawings and haven't had a reply yet.
I was hoping to send him a private message but that option seems to be missing.
Any help on this would be awesome as I'd really like to get the plans for this box.
Pedro