MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 01-01-21, 23:56

Default Looking for M37 springs

Hi,
Does anyone in the Ottawa area have some rear springs from a M37 they would be willing to part with? The set on my truck has a few cracked leaves. Thanks for looking.

Rob
Old 02-01-21, 00:50

If you don't find pre-made M-37 springs, visit a truck parts/repair location such as the former Malmberg service - now known as Parts For Trucks. They are located on Michael Street and have a dedicated spring shop that can put together just about any spring from light utility trailer to heavy dump truck. My experience with them on both with modern and vintage springs has been good.
Old 02-01-21, 01:17

Good idea, thanks. I drive past the truck center in Cornwall every day so if I don’t have any luck finding a set then I’ll stop in there. They have a unimog out front so someone there must have an interest in trucks like this.
Old 02-01-21, 02:41

Default New springs...........

Hi Rob

You might want to contact Rob Clarke who may have some used spring sets.....

At the very least, if rebuilding a spring pack, consider having the top one or two leaves replaced..... the ones that wrap around the hanger pins....... if those top leaves break you are in a pickle...... but you can drive on the other leaves cracked at least to get you home....... so rebuilding a spring pack might include all the good shorter leaves if still good ( ask about re-arcing the leaves) and a few new ones.... it is easier on the $$$

Also consider taking your disassembled pack( wired together) to the spring shop and have THEM reassemble with the hydraulic press they use and a fresh center bolt.....saves a lot of aggravations.....

The spring shop will want to know what the distance is between the front pin eye to the center of the pin in the rear hanger.....hanger hanging loose 90 degree perpendicular to the ground.... it determines how much pressure or curve is needed..... weight of the vehicle and the spring capacity may be listed for front and rear in the shop manual. Don't go to wild or it will ride like a CMP........

Now is the time to check your pins and bushings for uneven wear/replacement.

Cheers
Canada
Old 02-01-21, 04:42

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions. The upper two leaves with the curl on the end appear ok apart from some rust. If I can find a better looking set I will change them out though. The leaves that cracked were the 3rd and 4th ones down in the passenger side pack, one of which has the rebound clips riveted to it. It does make me wonder about the health of the rest of the springs, although I couldn’t find any more cracks after checking the rest.
I have new centre bolts, and the bolts and tubing for the rebound clips, as I had planned to do all the hardware. I’ll keep the rest of your advice in mind if I end up going to a truck shop.
I’ll also see if I can contact Rob Clarke

Thanks for the leads!

Cheers
Rob
Old 30-01-21, 00:25

Smile All sorted out now!

Well, just a follow up to my hunt. I ended up getting a couple new leaves made up at the local truck shop, Bensons in Cornwall. I have also tracked down some new bushings and pins to replace the sloppy ones on the truck, so I guess we can close this ad down now.
Thanks for everyone’s help/ input.

Rob