MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 03-09-16, 19:26

Default Bren gun 100 rd magazine box

Hi all,

First post and apologies because compared with restoring vehicles this is kid's stuff!

I decided to bring this home from the cottage this weekend. Earlier this year I got re-interested in WW2, started up scale modelling again, and doing a lot of reading. So far as I know, this box has been at the cottage since the original owners - who were vets - built it. Obviously it's a box for the 100 round AA magazines for the Bren. Original canvas straps and there are some pads still extant inside the box.

I washed it off a bit, but it seems that if I actually wanted to get off the bits of other paint which have collected over the years, I would probably just have to scrape back down (if that's advisable) and repaint. I assume these were painted in SCC 15 Olive Drab?

What do you guys use to match original WW2 paint?

But if I wanted to even consider this I would need a replacement stencil, which is probably beyond my ability to create. (Apartment dweller, no workshop... I don't even consider myself very handy.)

I can post more pictures if anyone would like.
Old 03-09-16, 20:04

Hello Chris and Welcome!

In addition to the four 100 round drum magazines, this chest would have held the crank for winding the drums while loading, and a metal support plate the drums would have been mounted on during the loading process. I cannot recall if it also would have held the adapter for mounting these drums on top of the Bren Gun.

Personally, I think your find has survived rather well and I would be inclined to let it show its age gracefully.

If you had to go a repainted route, my personal choice would be to take the item in question to a local Home Depot, or equivalent, and have them scan the item to mix up a modern full flat or eggshell indoor/outdoor latex.

David
Old 03-09-16, 21:12

The patina and wear are wonderful.

If saw that one and a shiny repainted one beside it I would take yours every time.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 03-09-16, 21:40

Well, fair enough then I do wish I could get the other bits of paint off...

I suppose this belongs in a separate thread, but I am also going to Library and Archives Canada every couple of months doing WW2 paint colour research, so if anyone wants something looked up, I would be happy to poke around a bit on your behalf.
Old 03-09-16, 22:22
Bluebell

Hi Chris and welcome. Because most interested people are like Robin (that's not always the case. Hi Robin ) you box is worth (considerably) more like it is, than if you spent money on it, repainting it. Just my unqualified opinion.
Paint for us guys is a challenging part of a restoration. There are those on this forum who have done massive amounts of work on researching the topic. There is plenty of room for you to be involved.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 03-09-16, 23:18
GM Fox I

Default Accessorize that box?

Of course once you have the box you need a few accessories to go with it.

I agree with the 'don't paint it' crowd. If there's paint splatters better to gently work them off with a hobby knife and a tiny bit of paint thinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Bren2.jpg  
Old 04-09-16, 00:05
carrier mech

Default D.p.i.

Don't repaint it.......

also, this thread is now useless without photos of what is left inside your box. The vast majority of them are completely gutted as part of the re-purposing.
I have come across a number of the boxes which indicates there were a lot of these magazines floating around at some time. I suspect they all went to the smelter.

At one point, the magazines were worth more than the Bren. Maybe not anymore, but it is certainly a lot harder to find a drum magazine than a Bren.
Old 04-09-16, 05:07
Terry Warner

Default paint or not?

It is your box, and yours to do with as you please. That said, as is is always preferable to refinished. If the kids and aunties have splashed pink or white house paint on it over the years, do you best to get rid of their handiwork without changing the underlying finish. Remember, there aren't any new Bren magazine chests being made anymore.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 04-09-16, 12:12

Default Nice Magazine Box.

Hi Chris and welcome.
That is a nice looking box as it is. Can anyone explain how the drum magazine feeds the rounds in. I remember the Brens we had during compulsory military training in the 1950's had the banana shape magazines that slotted down from the top. They came in a box just like yours but I can't remember how many. The sergeant instructor would lay two alongside one another and then jump up and down because someone had mixed up the long and short magazines. (optical illusion) The Brens were great to fire and very accurate. Lying on the ground with bi-pod legs to steady we could usually get the 15 shots grouping withing a 3'' circle on the target.
Best regards, Terry
Old 04-09-16, 16:12

See:

http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showpo...56&postcount=2

Thanks to Lance.
Old 04-09-16, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. View Post
Oh wow, so THAT is what it looked like originally! Thanks for the link! Well, sadly the only thing on the inside of mine are pads on the top and bottom - I'm not sure if those are original now or not.

Sadly, one of the canvas straps tore a bit today. Clearly they aren't in as good shape as I thought. But after I get it home - I'm posting this from the train - it shouldn't need to be moved around too much. Will post more pictures when I'm home.
Old 05-09-16, 13:21

Do not paint, try very carefully to remove non original paint as much as possible and then colour match the original paint and with a small modelers brush go over anything that cannot be removed. It really looks fine as is.
Old 06-09-16, 01:41
Rick Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Of course once you have the box you need a few accessories to go with it.
Hi Bruce,

I see you have lost a leg. My bren tripod is set up with the .303 in place of the third leg as well. A lot of thought must have gone into the possibility of losing one or both of the parts to the third leg with this as the result. Smart thinking!

regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 06-09-16, 02:03
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx42 View Post
Hi Bruce,

I see you have lost a leg. My bren tripod is set up with the .303 in place of the third leg as well. A lot of thought must have gone into the possibility of losing one or both of the parts to the third leg with this as the result. Smart thinking!

regards Rick.
Yes, I limp along missing a leg. But even so, you can't deny the rig looks way cooler with an SMLE filling in. Heck, I bet there was even an official drill movement to set it up. "Place, two three...clip, two three...stomp..."
Old 11-09-16, 18:38

Hi guys,

Sorry for the long delay before replying. Here finally are pictures of the inside of the box. Are these pads original? (I can't really tell from lssah2025's pictures) I am guessing the screw holes in the side are not!

There are some little wooden pegs fitting into holes in the bottom of the box. Were those part of the original interior framework?