MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 08-04-13, 18:48
Richard

Default Thompson SMG Drum Mags

HI everyone, I have a few 50 round L drums for sale if anyone needs any for display purposes. They have been welded on the back side with a spot on the rotor pin so the rotor will not turn and discharge any cartridges as well as on the clip that holds in the rotor pin. When mounted in a deactivated Thompson the welds are hidden and they look perfect and of course from the front they are also perfect.. I have original used WW2 drums at $750.00 each (in very good condition) and newly made (exact reproductions) at $350.00 these are in perfect condition. If anyone is interested send me a message and I can send photos if wanted. These are sold in Canada only. Thanks Richard
Old 11-04-13, 07:41
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Richard, have i read corrctly : $750 for ..one.. drum ?

Please take no offense, just educcate me .

Thanks

robert
I paid $500 for mine a few years ago at a time the only other ones I could locate (and there weren't many) were selling upwards of $1000.
Old 11-04-13, 14:59
Richard

Default Price of drum

Hi Robert, no offence taken at all, yes the price you see is correct and this is the reasoning behind it. In the past before the goverment passed the capacity restrictions you could buy drum magazines out of the US or abroad (typically from the US) and at that time I was buying drums for around $200.00 - $300.00 for a decent WW2 drum. Of course these were nice "live" drumd which were operational and at that time you could actuallly take your live Thompson to the range and fire it. Then came the capacity law which made the drums go to 5 rounds - even though a Bren drum could still be full capacity - this discussion for another day. Some people did convert them to 4 rounds by installing many terrible rivets (usually 3 or 4) on the outside making the drumlegal but terrible to look at. Some people just went underground with them and they sit in a dark hidding place probably never to see the light of day again. Now we fast forward to about 5 years ago and a huge hoard of unissued unused Thompsons were found over seas in the Ukraine untouched since WW2 and for the most part they were cut up into parts lits for the Us as well as deactivated for European sales and some made their way here. Not to long ago the goverment also changed the rules on deactivated guns as well as dummy guns - they do not allow any more deactivated guns into the country and have banned the importation of dummy guns also what is in privated hands in Canada can stay but no more can come in . But in the US all those Tommy Gun parts kits have turned into many many dummy guns because deactivation laws are much different theire and everyone started to snatch up drum and stick mags for their dummy guns besides the usual collectors of the magazines - Thompson collectors. The price and availability of the magazines was so great that Auto Ordnance raised their production of reproduction magqzines as well they have been selling many many of thier single shot Thompson's around the US and most people want a drum for those also. This has raised the price of drums all across the US for the past 5 years making a repro drum (like I am selling for $350.00) sell for $289.00 if you can find one and the WW2 sell for $850.00 depending on condition (look around the internet sites in the US and most have SOLD OUT in their Thompson drum listings. In the US a Colt era 50 round magazine will sell for about $1200.00 and up and a good condition 100 round drum from the Colt era will sell for about $4500.00 and up, recently a minty one (100 round) with matching numbers sold in the US for $6500.00. The final 2 factors which have dictated pricing right now is the US is changing their capacity laws in many ststes and the dealers will not ship any high capacity mags - drum mags to about 10 - 12 US states making it harder to get them in general and with all this talk from Obama about gun laws coming into place it is getting very tough to find any mags for any guns at a reasonable price any more, believe me I have been to about 6 gun shows in the US in the last 3 months and they are a zoo - packed to the rafters with people buying guns and ammo like another war is coming. In OHio I waited in a line to get in for an hour and a hlaf and by the time I got in the line was about double in length. This has caused pricing to go up and up. So I am just selling at the current market value and I have not seen any Thompson drums up our way in many years and I know there are many deactivated Thompson's out there. If someone was to give me a reasonable offer I would consider it but it will not be far off the price. I have 14 Thompson's in my collection, if the drums do not sell, it's ok I will keep them. Sorry for such a long winded explanation, I tried to make it as short as I could.
I hope this makes sense. Richard
Old 11-04-13, 18:10
carrier mech

Those $20 Bren mags do fall under the magazine capacity laws....it's the 100 round drums (usually in the $1000 range these days) that are exempt.

As to sten magazines, I have a number of them available, in either deactivated zero capacity, or legal 5 round capacity available. (apologies to tommy gun for horning in on his thread)
Old 12-04-13, 00:50
Richard

Default Magazines - what is legal etc

HI Robert, all is good but the other fellow is correct only the drum magazine is allowed un-plugged the stick Bren mags need to be plugged t 5 rounds so be carefull. Another example of stupid laws (or stupid law makers) is an Enfield magazine (303) is ok in full capacity (8 rounds) if it is in an Enfield rifle because of it's historical value but.... if you take the same magazine and put it in the semiauto rifle (I forget which model) it has to be pluged to 5 rounds!!!!
As far as Sten magazines go, they are found once in a while but they have also gone underdround, you can find them if you ask around (same thing as Grease gun mags) and some people do what the other fellow and I do which is deactivate them (for display only) and some plug to five rounds. Another example is you can own an unplugged snail drum for a luger but as we all know the luger is now a short barrel pistol and it is prohibited except to those who have the permit.
The problem is if you start to just ask around for machine gun magazines be carefull - who knows who may come knocking at your door!!!!, after all machue guns are scary and the goverment frowns upon such items.
Anyways enough my blood pressure is going up.
I have always thought a list of plugged and deactivated magazines available for people with deactivated machine guns would be a great source for collectors but it would also make a great list for the authorities togo snooping around and who needs that!!!!! so instead we are all on our own. By the way, last thing -
you should hear of the stupid law about machine gun links and belts for those who have a semi auto belt fed and want to shoot it. I was speaking with an RCMP officer at the Calgary gun show on the Easter weekend. This is the "official" rule as best I understand it. If the links are manufactured before 1947 you can use as many as yiu want linked together as log as you want, If the links are made after 1947 you can only link5 rounds. Now for a belt, they are excempt to any capacity for historical rweasons so they ca be any capacity - length. Now back to the links, it is based on a reverse onus, you have to prove when the links were made to show they are legal!!!!! not they have to prove the links are post 1947 - good luck with that one. All for now . Richard
Old 12-04-13, 03:03
Bluebell

So the links have just jumped to $100.00 each have they?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 12-04-13, 03:32
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
So the links have just jumped to $100.00 each have they?
I've got some pre-1945 links I'll let you have for half price...say $50 each? How many can I put you down for?
Old 12-04-13, 03:53
Bluebell

Bruce, I finished my post, the same as you did. With a question mark.
The laws are quite different here. No one (apart from the military) can legally fire a full auto here.(or possess any firearm for the purpose of self defence)
So to answer your question, No thankyou Bruce.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 12-04-13, 05:31
Richard

Default I am not understanding the reply

Hi again, I am not understanding the thread just added to my responses to the questions about the drum magazines. I was using the example about the machine gun links to hi-light the odd laws in Canada. It is clear to everyone in the gun community that the person or people who are writing the new laws such as what constitutes a historical magazine which keeps it from being or not being regulated on capacity really does not know anything about firearms and their historical significance. The laws appear to be written and decided by spinning a wheel of chance, just random. With this in mind I am lost on the $100.00 a link comment.
Please explain. Richard
Old 12-04-13, 05:34
carrier mech

Not exactly true on the links.....the exemption says that the belts, of either metallic or non-metallic type, must not be reproduction and made for a gun in production prior to 1945. So a link made in 1950 for a M1919A4 is fine, as the gun was in production prior to 45 and the links are original. Where the problem comes in is the NATO links......they were designed for the M-60, which is a post war gun. Later the Cdn M1919 (C1 or C5A1) were adapted to take that link, but the origin of the link is for a post 1945 gun, so they would be limited to 5 rounds.

The automatic Enfield you are thinking of is the Charlton, and it was because of that gun that they exempted the Enfield mags to 10 rounds. Not really necessary since the Enfields are a bolt action magazine, and therefore already exempt. Doubtful that a special run of magazines were made for the Charlton.
Old 12-04-13, 09:14
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
The automatic Enfield you are thinking of is the Charlton, and it was because of that gun that they exempted the Enfield mags to 10 rounds. Not really necessary since the Enfields are a bolt action magazine, and therefore already exempt. Doubtful that a special run of magazines were made for the Charlton.
The Charlton was designed to use the 30 rd (or28) Bren mag, and will not accept a 10rd SMLE mag. If you are curious, there has been a fully functioning example for sale in NZ for some time now. I have seen this rifle when owned by it's previous owner (and maker), and it is superbly made to original blueprints, but unfortunately Aust's gun laws are quite more restrictive than NZ.
Old 12-04-13, 14:55
carrier mech

Tony
We are both right on this one. The Charlton which used a Lee Metford action had the Bren magazines. But there was also the Charlton based on the SMLE, which used the regular magazines.

There was also the Howell which was the conversion that used the standard Enfield mags.

Whoever wrote our gun laws knew just enough to realize that these examples existed, and rather than ignore them, they wrote in the exemption, which really did not have to be written since the mags were already exempt as having been designed for a bolt action rifle.
Old 26-01-16, 20:03

Default Charlton and Luger

Regular barrel length Lugers ( the common model) are "prohibited" in Canada (!!!!) but the Artillery and Navy long barrelled Lugers are simply "restricted". One can switch the short barrel for a new barrel that is a few millimetres longer and then the Luger is "restricted".

There is a Charlton automatic rifle in the Canadian War Museum collection.

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC
Old 08-12-20, 21:41

Default Thompsomn sub-machine gun

Does anyone have a drum magazine for sale?
Old 15-12-20, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
HI everyone, I have a few 50 round L drums for sale if anyone needs any for display purposes. They have been welded on the back side with a spot on the rotor pin so the rotor will not turn and discharge any cartridges as well as on the clip that holds in the rotor pin. When mounted in a deactivated Thompson the welds are hidden and they look perfect and of course from the front they are also perfect.. I have original used WW2 drums at $750.00 each (in very good condition) and newly made (exact reproductions) at $350.00 these are in perfect condition. If anyone is interested send me a message and I can send photos if wanted. These are sold in Canada only. Thanks Richard
How do I get my hands on one?
Old 15-12-20, 21:30
GM Fox I

Cute little buggers tho...
Attached Thumbnails
Tommy.jpg  
Old 25-12-20, 17:16

Hi , I'm looking for a deactivated 50 round drum magazine and vertical foregrip in good shape for my deactivated Thompson 1928A1 submachine gun . Anyone know if I can still find one and where ? I'm also looking for a deactivated Thompson M1A1 submachine gun with a 30 round magazine in good shape with as many moving parts as possible (eg. magazine can be removed ,bolt can be pulled back and removable rear stock).Thanks in advance .

Last edited by Tony; 26-12-20 at 15:22.
Old 12-01-21, 06:05

I would like a $750.00 drum please. I'd really like a 100 round drum but I'll take a 50. As a collector I regret that they have been "deactivated but the government means well.
Old 12-01-21, 23:49

Default I want to purchase a drum from you. Please contact me

Quote:
kgordon.shepherd@gmail.com
Old 12-01-21, 23:51

Please contact me. I wish to purchase one.
Old 13-01-21, 02:26

Post I want to purchase a drum from you. Please contact me

Quote:
I want to purchase a 50 round drum. Tell me what to do.
Old 13-01-21, 05:46
carrier mech

Kent
The first thing you have to realize is that the ad is almost 8 years old. Your only hope is to click on the original poster's name, and hit the "send an email" icon. His email that is registered on this site might not be good after 8 years, but worth a try. He was last on this site in 2013 so as it stands now will not likely read your request.

Failing that, you will have to go to the Griffon residence in Quahog Rhode Island and see if Stewie will let you use his time machine.