MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 02-01-06, 11:56
RIP

Default Censorship Again??

I posted a message last night relating to the footer on Max's posts but it seems to have disappeared. Censored or swallowed up in the ether??
Bob
Old 02-01-06, 14:23
Pops

Default footer

The footer is some of Chris's handy work, Some of the stuff that Chris has seen. It's not Kathy's sale list yet.

Max
Old 02-01-06, 20:25
Pops

Default Chris is leaving the land of OZ

Chris has only one sleep to go before he heads back to his homeland, we will sure miss him.
Max

Last edited by Max Hedges; 02-01-06 at 21:02.
Old 02-01-06, 21:46
RIP

Default Hooo Rooo Chris

Hi Chris
Have a safe trip home. It was a real pleasure to meet you and I'm sure that goes for all the MLUers and others you met on your great field trip. I bet you will have a lot of work to do on your web site with all the photos you took.
Bob
Old 02-01-06, 21:52
RIP

Default Censorship

Silly me, there was no censor, just me looking in the wrong thread.
Quote:
It's not Kathy's sale list yet.
Kathy? Kathy? Who is Kathy?
Anonymous
Old 03-01-06, 06:25

Default Time to say Goodbye

I've got only 1 night to sleep here, before I finally get home after 5,5 months travelling around. I'll have to catch the plane tomorrow night at Sydney via Bangkok-Dubai-Zurich. Flight time is around 22 h. I don't hope it'll be delayed. Otherwise it'll get very long and I'll be knocked out. And if you hear a plane crash with Emirates, hopefully it's not mine

It was a brilliant time here, especially staying with Max & Kathy for nearly 4 weeks! Meeting you MLU-Members was an unforgettable experience. It's really hard getting home, but I'm looking forward sleeping in my own bed.

I'll have to publish a lot of pictures I took during travelling. I've just implemented a new Content Management System with my website. So it'll easier to maintain.

I'll write some more words from back home. Hopefully I'll be back for Corowa 2007 (Year of the German Tanks ) !

I wish you a good start for 2006!

cu
Chris

www.wheelsandtracks.com
>> Condor A580 M+85691 (1952), Swiss Army Motorbike (unrestored)
>> F15 1942 Aust (Cab 13) ::: restored by Keefy
Old 03-01-06, 07:49
Vets Dottir

Chris ... have an enjoyable and safe flight home ... I'm sure you're ready for a little holiday at home away from holidays, but will soon want to fly back to your new found friends What an amazing trip/trips you've had ... and it's been wonderful to read about it all, and even see some of it through the pics ... reading this thread brings all of us MLU-ers along on this wonderful trip to share in. Awesome!

from Ma Yappy (don't worry, I don't think I could ever you ... if I tried, all your new Aussie friends would flatten me and refuse me Tim Tams )
Old 05-01-06, 03:17

Default Greetings from Dubai

Good morning

It's 06.15 am in the morning at Dubai. Was about 20 min earlier there than expectet. Had a good sleep in the plane and watched 2 movies (romantic ones).

Everything went well with the grease gun, no problems so far. My checked in luggage was 28 kg instead of the 20 kg allowed. Fortunately I didn't have to pay a penalty.

I'm waiting now for the connected flight to Zurich, another 2,5 h. Standing around, streching my legs, don't have local money. Will get food at the plane.

greetings
chris

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 05-01-06, 18:31

Default Back in Switzerland

Good evening

After a long Odysee I finally arrived back home. Everything went well until Dubai.

But in Dubai the luggage system broke down and they had to do everything by hand. So our plane was delayed by 1,5 h!

The flight itself was smooth, I enjoyed some more movies.

But in Zurich arrived only about 10 % of the hole luggges. I received my heavy 20 kg one, but the small one with all my new clothes is still in Dubai. About 100 passengers didn't get their luggages! Really crap.

But I'm happy to be home again. I finally managed it!

cu
Chris

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 05-01-06, 22:07
Pops

Default home safe

good to hear that you made it home safe and sound, not to cold for ya.
Max
Old 06-01-06, 02:18

Good to see Emerites had their priority right.

Clothes not important, but grease gun is.

Thanks for coming and staying with us.

Regards

Col
Old 07-01-06, 07:42
Vets Dottir

Hey Chris,

Glad you made it home alright ... bet it feels a little strange to slow down?

Karmen
Old 09-01-06, 11:48
RIP

Default Back Home

There you are good buddy, back home after the Great Field Trip. Just think, originally all you wanted to know about was some tank museum in Melbourne. Well you certainly found that and more. 38 degrees C here yesterday, don't you miss it.
All the best - Bob
Old 24-01-06, 19:32

Default back in CH

Good evening

Well, I think it's time to make a résumé (how the frogs say), something like a summary.

But first, I'd like you to show my parents place, where I'll life until I get a new job. It doesn't look so bad, I've got a second job interview at a Swiss Private Bank. I should receive the decision next week.

By the way, I'll go skiing next week to Grindelwald , beautful place with all the real high Mountains around ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
100_3440.jpg  

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 24-01-06, 19:33

... and that's a Xmas decoration, not so funny things like down there, the place with no snow ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
100_3443.jpg  

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 24-01-06, 19:35

Default thread size

... my thread has really grown big. Over 166 replies and 3'700 views. And I even posted the 40'000th reply some time ago.

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 24-01-06, 19:47

Default Thank you MLU members

Time to say thank you to all the MLU members I met!!!!

When I left Switzerland in the middle of Summer (July 05) I had some contact details which I got via MLU. I've never had done that before, meeting people form the internet, but I though give it a try, the best thing which could happen is to get to know some locals.

At first I met Keefy, a not so young bloke from Melbourne which does some fantastic DVD productions (Year of the Carrier etc). It was quite strange to look for his work place in Melbourne and meet a "local" and make first contact. He literally took 2 days of and showed me John Belfields Tank Museum and the one in Puckapunyal. And I had my first ride in a CMP, his FGT. I still can here the V8 sound.

Then he introduced me to Euan, a mate who wanted to drive with his family (young kids) and a CMP several thousand kms through. He offered me to have a ride from Melbourne to Adelaid, but unfortunately the truck was not ready, so I went by an organised tour with other backpackers (girls

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 24-01-06, 19:55

Default more thanx

In Adelaide I met Salesman Bob, aka Andrea Stavros, a former policemen. I spent 2 incredible days with him. He introduced me to the guys from the South Australian Military Museum (correct name?) and I could visit all their treasures. Although he didn't know that it was my 30th birthday, he took out a C15 for a drive. He drove around for about 20 min and then the surprise: Chris was driving his first CMP on his birthday! Unbelievable, I'll never forget this ride in the old Chev. The next day we visited an old CMP "scrapyard" and we met Euan at a camping ground for having a dinner.

After travelling back by plane to Melbourne and taking the day after the bus for an organised 3-day backpacker tour to Canberra, I finally got in touch with Max, master of a place called "Willing workers in Blitz heaven".

www.wheelsandtracks.com

Last edited by zemsi; 24-01-06 at 20:42.
Old 24-01-06, 20:14

Default Thank you Max & Cathy

Max asked me to come a little bit earlier to his place go help him with the sheap shearing. Beeing an office guy (former bank clerk and bank auditor) and didn't know what to expect, so I said yes.

I think I was one of the first tourists who have taken the local bus to Yass. The busdriver forgot to drop me off at the Tourist office in Yass, and I had to travel to the end station. But beeing an Aussie bloke, Max picked me up from there when I didn't get out before.

After meeting all the family, workers and guests at his place, I got already involved in the sheep shearing on my first day at an Aussie farm! It's definitely hard work!

I nearly spent 4 weeks in total with Max and Cathy. It was beeing home far away from home. I definitely have now a second place which I called home!

I had the opportunity to drive all the vehicles (and tank) I wanted. Never done that before, I'll have to say it was brilliant. And I even got the opprotunity to drive Tickets (C15) to Canberra and back and to take part in the VP Parade in Canberra and drive in a Convoy. I don't think this could happen in Europe, beeing a foreigner and don't know anybody.

After travelling around NZ for 3 months I finally got back to spend Xmas and NY at the farm. And I even got some Xmas presents and met all their friends again. We nearly ate out every night, so Kathy could relax

I got to know a lot of local Yass people and their hospitality. I spend a beatiful time with Max & Cathy and could use everything (sorry for the extensive usage of your PC and broadband), and I even got my own room (I didn't have to sleep in a swag or with the sheep)

It's hard to describe all the feelings and impressions. Staying at the form was the most impressive experience of my travel adventures. I think this forms my future live and thinking!

Max & Kathy, thank you for everything. Staying with you was brilliant and an unforgettable time. I'll definitely be back one day!

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 24-01-06, 20:25

Default last thanx

I'd like to thanks the following guys:

Ashley for visiting his "CMP scrapyard" and letting me drive his old Jeep back from Canberra (and not telling me that the brakes don't work well).

The Gruber Family for showing me around their farm and inviting me in their bush house. I even rode a little Ransome.

John Hedges for letting me ride his Harley WLA.

Mike Cecil for making possible to visit Mitchell, the place where the Australian War Memorial stores all its surplus things and treasures.

Robert Farmer and Tim for helping me with the haying. I unfortunately never had time to visit his growing collection. Hope you'll take care of Max's Dodge WC. I wanna have a drive next time

I don't think I've got anybody else forgotten from the MLU, do I?

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 24-01-06, 20:28

Default Kiwi MLU

... and last but not least:

David Ellery, he was the only Kiwi MLU Member who got in contact with me. I met his lovely young family, ate a Kiwi BBQ and drove a Chevy Gun Tractor, one of few which survived. And we even visited a small private museum nearby.

David, I haven't forgotten your CD with my pics. It's coming soon!

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 24-01-06, 20:29
Film maker, CMP addict

Default The adventure

Hi Chris

Glad you had such a good time. What's that about not so young? It's young at heart that matters!
The FGT now sounds a lot quieter thanks to a full exhaust system, and soon the crane comes off for the next (slow) stage of restoration.

Perhaps I can sense you'll eventually want to come back here to buy a farm? The farm life certainly seems to agree with you - even the hard work... better than sitting on your backside in some anonymous Swiss bank anyway. I know what I'd rather be doing!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 24-01-06, 20:32

@ Keith

Well, I think an Aussie Farm wouldn't be too bad. But I would only need a lot of sheds for storing all the CMPs which Kathy is going to sell me soon You know, bankers and all the Swiss money...

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 24-01-06, 20:35

Default MLU members

... and finally thanks to all the MLU members who enjoyed and shared my travell experiences and who participated in my thread. It was good to know that I didn't write my experiences for the rubbish bin.

If you ever get the chance to do a similar thing, do it!

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 26-01-06, 04:26
The Original CMP Site!

Default Re: MLU members

Quote:
Originally posted by zemsi
... and finally thanks to all the MLU members who enjoyed and shared my travell experiences and who participated in my thread. It was good to know that I didn't write my experiences for the rubbish bin.

If you ever get the chance to do a similar thing, do it!
THANK YOU Chris for starting this most enjoyable thread. I always like hearing of other peoples travels and I really like your sense of humour. Very Australian if I may say so

Regards
Rod
Old 26-01-06, 06:57

Default Time to reflect

Hi Chris, hows the settling in going? after such a big trip it can be a bit anti climatic when you finally reach home ! But with all the pictures that you have taken and memoreis I'm sure you can relive the whole event again. Now that you have a job lined up you can start putting that bike of yours back on the road. It was a pleasure to have met you, and I,m sure it won't be that long until we see you down this way again. all the best David @ family
Old 26-01-06, 12:40
Pops

Default Chris

we are realy glsd that you managed to come and stay with us on your downunder adventures, you are now a mate for life. You are also entitled to use the phrase G'Day Mate how Ya Going when you greet people.

I wonder who will be the next MLU traveller to come down under the best time to come to Yass is August for shearing or November for hay carting, no experience necessary training on the job. Gloves supplied. March is not a bad month as you can go to the gathering of the clan at Corowa and meet lots of us Collectors of rusty old trucks.

All the best Chris and we'll keep in touch.

the Hedges Clan
Old 30-01-06, 17:10
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Greetings from Dubai

Quote:
Originally posted by zemsi
Everything went well with the grease gun, no problems so far.
Chris,

By this time you will be skiing in Grindelwald (I was there less than two weeks ago!), but I want to thank you for hand carrying the grease gun. It has now arrived safely here in Holland.
And many thanks go to Max for giving you something to carry on your way back to Europe

Thanks for sharing your travel experiences, I have thoroughly enjoyed them. And thanks to the forum members down under for accomodating Chris (or were you merely looking for cheap sheep shearers?!?). It is great to see how this forum has grown into a community. I had the pleasure of experiencing the same sort of warm MLU welcome when I was over in Canada some years back.

Well done, ladies & gentlemen!

Hanno
Old 31-01-06, 19:28

Default Grindelwald

Good Day mates

I'm honored to use this term as a Swiss-Aussie ;-)

Thanx for your replies, mates. Good to read them.

As you probably now, I've been currently skiing in Grindelwald, a famous place in Switzerland where every a ski race is held.

Grindelwald at night.
Attached Images

www.wheelsandtracks.com
Old 31-01-06, 19:29

Eigernordwand. That's the place where I trained to climb the Brindy Mountains around Yass
Attached Images

www.wheelsandtracks.com