MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 20-12-03, 23:41

Default Canadian troops stationed in Worthing , England WW2

My father was in Worthing for most of WW2 and left Feb 1946
His job was to find billets for the Canadian troops in and around Worthing. I need to know what unit of the Canadian Army he was in. I am led to belive that he may of been with the Canadian Military Headquarters, but can anyone help.

I have details of all the Regiments that passed through the Worthing area during WW2 but not the unit that would of been
there for the duration.
Old 02-01-04, 23:49

Default Canadians in Sussex

Chris,
I do not think I can specifically help you identify the units stationed in Worthing during the war. Reading a book recently, on the Sussex Home Guard, they participated in exercises with the Canadian troops. Worthing is mentioned a lot in the book and the only remark that may be of help is that around 1941, C Company, Royal 22nd Regiment, under the command of a Captain Trudeau, were stationed at Goring-by Sea and the Worthing Home Guard, B Company, 5th Sussex (Worthing) Battalion, carried out a lot of exercises and training alonside them.

Another small thing of interest came to light while reading this book, in Sept 1943, Lt Gen Crerar presented a trophy to the Sussex Home Guard to mark nearly 2 years co-operation between them and his Canadian troops. My late father was a member of the Sussex HG, and after the war continued rifle shooting, initially with a club formed from ex- Home Guard members. I remember going with him to Kithurst Hill range, near Storrington, West Sussex in the late 50's and a Canadian staff car arrived. I have now been able to piece this together and find that they were ex-HG clubs shooting for this trophy that was presented by possibly the Canadian High Commissioner. I have found a medal presented to my father at one of these shoots inscribed "1st Canadian Corps - Sussex Home Guard", which I assume was because his team one at that time. Only wish he was still around to tell me more.

Richard
Old 03-01-04, 00:27

Hi Richard
Many thanks for your reply, and the info' contained in your posting. I have found a web site which may be of interest to you at www.findonvillage.com it has a lot of infomation on ww2 home guard etc.
What I really need to find out about is the command structure of the Canadian troops stationed in Worthing.
I know that the 1st Canadian infantry division had thier military headquarters at Courtlands Mansion in Worthing, as my Father was the person who found billets for the troops in and around Sussex I assume that's where he was based.

Chris
Old 03-01-04, 00:34

Chris,
Thanks, I have already come across the Findon site with a few interesting stories in it. If I turn up anything else I will pass it on.

Richard
Old 07-03-04, 01:31

My father enlisted with the Royal 22nd in 1939 in Montreal and I know he spent a fair amount of time in England - story has it, he went AWOL and almost married there (some woman by the name of Vivian who later married and they owned the Grantly Arms Hotel for a spell). I am of the opinion I might even have a half sister somewhere over there.

He then went on to the Victoria Rifles, West Nova Scotias, 9th Field Ambulance and finally came home with the Black Watch

If you find out any information pertaining to the Royal 22nd in England I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Judy
Old 25-04-04, 10:13

Smile England WW2

Judy

If you think that you may have a half sister in England you should try www.project-roots.com

Regards

Chris
Old 26-04-04, 06:08
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Canadian troops stationed in Worthing , England WW2

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vowles
My father was in Worthing for most of WW2 and left Feb 1946
His job was to find billets for the Canadian troops in and around Worthing. I need to know what unit of the Canadian Army he was in. I am led to belive that he may of been with the Canadian Military Headquarters, but can anyone help.

I have details of all the Regiments that passed through the Worthing area during WW2 but not the unit that would of been
there for the duration.
Hi Chris.

I hope you find the information you're looking for! I wish I could help you myself but I know nothing But I'll bet someone in here can at least point you in the right direction for info.

I've been curious about where my own Uncle might have been staying/billeting while overseas. I haven't a clue yet where exactly they were stationed prior to Normandy landing June 6, 1944. I know its a longshot to find out exactly who he may have billeted with, but that doesn't stop me from trying to find out. I've got more homework to do to find out where he was stationed first, before I can focus in on any particular area/place. Before that, I'm in the midst of relocating so all of my info is still packed away in boxes ...

Its all great stuff we're all doing regards learning about and preserving this history and honouring our loved men and women. As we dig and delve we grow so much in understanding the bigger picture... and what a picture!

Good luck.

Carman
Old 14-07-12, 09:38

hi,i have the same medal.my uncle won it in 1955.he was a member of the midhurst riffle club.i was with him when he got it.( 303 shoot at bisley) my father was in the 94thb baty.3rd anti tank regt.canadian army.stationed somewhere arround bury-pulborough.maybe of interest. richard n